Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

1989 Porsche 928 S4, Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:12 PM
JohnInTexas
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Porsche 928 S4, Automatic

Year: 1989
Make: Porsche
Model: 928
Cont. Porsche Models: 928 (all)
Mileage (numbers only please): 37000
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Antilock Brakes, Cruise Control, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows, Sunroof
Color: Velvet Red Metallic
VIN: WP0JB0921KS860371
Price (no $ sign please): $22000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Texas
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Tiptronic
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM CD

Mileage can be documented by carfax and maintenance records of previous owner. Car had 22 miles at first title in 1988, 20,800 miles at emissions inspection on 3/22/2000, and 35,000 miles when I bought it in 2011. Clean, straight car, velvet red metallic exterior, very nice two-tone cream and black interior. Original paint and upholstery are very nice for a car of this age. Hard to find aluminum alloy turbo twist wheels, A/C works great, 8 way power front seats, power sunroof, owner’s manual, 2 keys, original window sticker showing $80,730 price tag. Timing belt and water pump replaced recently, clear TX title in hand.
Nice all round condition, service history from previous owner who had it for about ten years.
Attached Images          
Old 12-11-2012, 06:22 PM
JohnInTexas
Rennlist Member

I will post a few more photos later with closeups of an upholstery tear in the back seat and a paint blemish at the passenger-side windshield washer spigot on the hood. Those are the two imprefections on an otherwise gorgeous car. Front tire tread is good, back tires are worn down to the treadwear indicators. I will either replace the rear tires or give a replecement allowance so you can choose your tires.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:24 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Beautiful car, good luck with the sale.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:38 AM
JohnInTexas
Rennlist Member

Thanks Sean, it's been a fun driving but I have too many hobbies to fully enjoy a Porsche. I did one small car show...pictures in my album...and might get a chance to do another in the spring.

I promised to post a few extra photos, this time to show a couple of places that don't look quite as picture perfect. I took photos of the paint blemish on the hood last night but it shows bugs on the windshield and light dust from being in the garage. I will re-take and post a photo after detailing it for a little car meet this Saturday. The following photo is of a tear in the leather of the back seat middle arm rest.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 PM
JohnInTexas
Rennlist Member

Here are a few different angles on the paint blemish on the hood. The re-paint job either used the wrong paint or the spray job didn't have the right air pressure to "seat" the metal flakes into the laquer. The re-painted area looks either darker, lighter, or nearly the same color depending on the angle of viewing. These were done inside the garage and the photo color isn't quite accurate but they should suit the purpose.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Chalkboss
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 112 Posts

That is one fine looking 928. Good luck to you.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:26 PM
JohnInTexas
Rennlist Member

Thanks Chalkboss....I drove cars with fuel economy being a key goal so this has been a fun change. Not sure if I'll be happy to part with it but it seems like the best thing to do from a practical perspective.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:49 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very clean car, if I had the funds I would of purchased it from you.

Good luck with the sale.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:19 AM
JohnInTexas
Rennlist Member

Thanks MeanMachine. They say money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure does buy fun toys!
:>)
Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 PM
JohnInTexas
Rennlist Member

I just put new tires on the back. The front tires have lots of tread....guessing 80%. The folks at the tire shop were arguing among themselves about whether the paint was original :>)
Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM
JohnInTexas
Rennlist Member

My car is still on the market. Winter is probably a bad time to sell a car but spring is almost here in Texas and the weather is is nice. The citrus trees are already blooming. I'm hoping to attend a monthly coffee&cars event Saturday.

I'll entertain offers from serious buyers but I won't come down much. In a year she will reach classic status and there aren't many classic Porsches with under 40K miles on them.

Cheers!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:45 AM
Rod Handsfield
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a gorgeous car. Do I understand that the hood has been repainted? The entire car? Do you have the belly pans? When was the timing belt replaced? thanks, Rod
Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM
JohnInTexas
Rennlist Member

Rod, The paint is almost entirely original. I think the front bumper has been retouched or maybe the plastic parts just age to a different shade. The hood is also original except for a repaint around the passenger windshield washer spigot. The hood and front fenders had some kind of fluid splashed or sprayed on them at some time past that eroded into the clear coat but not into the color coat. Almost all of the etching buffed out without going through the clear coat but the clearcoat and the color coat were damaged at the spray nozzle. The damage didn't go deeper than the white base coat and it was much smaller than the repaint area...probably about the diameter of a fifty-cent piece. The metallic paint is very difficult to match. It looks great at some angles and terrible at other angles. If I were planning to keep it, I would probably either have a picture of a shark airbrushed on or do racing stripes on the hood. Back to what caused the etching in the clearcoat in that area, I personally think someone used something in the windshield wash reservoir to clean it out or some kind of windshield cleanser. When I bought the car, the etching looked like someone let the car dry without wiping off the water spots. Now, after the buff job, you have to look hard to find it. It looks VERY nice even at point blank range. The belly pans are on the car (I took them off to change the oil in some of the photos). The timing belt (and water pump) had been changed recently when I bought the car about a year ago...now they have probably around 3,000 miles on them. The car stays inside my climate-controlled garage and I drive it several times a month. I LOVE driving it but I don't want to run the miles up like my daily driver (Toyota) which has nearly 300,000 miles on it. I bought the car from a radiologist in Beaumont, Texas and he garaged it too. He was getting older and just didn't drive it any more. He was financially secure and he had a local import shop do all work as suggested by his technician. The engine is generally VERY clean but does have some oil residue on and behind the oil pan. I found most of the oil pan bolts were pretty loose when I changed the oil recently and firmed them up. The radio....I forget what brand it is but the right speakers cut out sometimes and you have to get them back by turning up the volume for a few seconds and they come back on. I have checked most of the speaker wiring but haven't solved that problem. It may be in the radio or in the amplifier in the trunk. The fuse panel looks good and the fuse book is in the car too. The carpet is GORGEOUS and there are no signs the dash has been in the sun or has any inclination to crack. The console is digital and has gas mileage calculations, temp., and all of the other goodies.
Why am I selling? I know Porsches can be maintenance intensive and I just don't have the time to do it myself and I have lots of other hobbies I prefer to invest my income in. I'm remodeling my house, trying to keep up bluegrass music practice, and I plan to do more fishing this summer!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:56 AM
Rod Handsfield
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info John. Where is Orange in relation to major airports? Rod
Old 02-15-2013, 10:10 AM
JohnInTexas
Rennlist Member

Rod, Orange is on Interstate 10 at the Texas/Louisiana state line between Houston, Texas and Lake Charles Louisiana. Huoston is about an hour and a half drive west of Orange. Beaumont, Texas is about 30 minutes west of Orange. Beaumont would probably require a connecting flight from Houston. If you are serious enough to take a flight to see my car, I can drive her over to Houston to meet you. I will probably have the car out tomorrow (Saturday) for a small car meet so let me know if you want some additional photos of anything specific or close-up.

Quick Reply: 1989 Porsche 928 S4, Automatic