Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

WTB: 2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 07:48 PM
titanflyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Year: 2016
Make: Porsche
Model: Boxster
Mileage (numbers only please): 10000
Color: Black
Price (no $ sign please): $100000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): West
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM Radio

They have 3 black ones (one with buckets) in the NC area right now. One at Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte, one at Hickory Porsche, and another at Southpoint Porsche in Raleigh area I think...

All are CPO cars and nice, but I know you said no dealers. Since everyone is throwing silver and all sorts of things at you, thought I would post and tell you about the ones that fit, except for the location and the seller, but still worth a look. They have been dropping the prices on them from 100K down to 90K.

On an off topic question, are they dropping because of the new ones coming in 2020 or are all p-cars just falling in value?
Old 09-08-2019, 05:04 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by titanflyer
They have 3 black ones (one with buckets) in the NC area right now. One at Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte, one at Hickory Porsche, and another at Southpoint Porsche in Raleigh area I think...

All are CPO cars and nice, but I know you said no dealers. Since everyone is throwing silver and all sorts of things at you, thought I would post and tell you about the ones that fit, except for the location and the seller, but still worth a look. They have been dropping the prices on them from 100K down to 90K.

On an off topic question, are they dropping because of the new ones coming in 2020 or are all p-cars just falling in value?
I think dealers were pricing them as "rare" when in fact, there is a small market for these and plenty for sale. This isn't 2017. Same with GT4: dealers still want $95k for a clean car, and they will have to sell it for $83k during the middle of the winter due to not being flexible. I have seen these on dealer lots for over 300 days with no price reductions.

Private sellers can be just as bad. They still close to want MSRP on the GT4 and Spyder. They must love their cars enough to not "really" want to sell them, as they are still for sale 6 months to a year later. Why people don't price a car to sell within a few weeks is beyond me; why even bother? There aren't many suckers out there buying Spyders and GT4s: people know what they want and what they are worth.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:27 PM
MaxGarweg
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
I think dealers were pricing them as "rare" when in fact, there is a small market for these and plenty for sale. This isn't 2017. Same with GT4: dealers still want $95k for a clean car, and they will have to sell it for $83k during the middle of the winter due to not being flexible. I have seen these on dealer lots for over 300 days with no price reductions.

Private sellers can be just as bad. They still close to want MSRP on the GT4 and Spyder. They must love their cars enough to not "really" want to sell them, as they are still for sale 6 months to a year later. Why people don't price a car to sell within a few weeks is beyond me; why even bother? There aren't many suckers out there buying Spyders and GT4s: people know what they want and what they are worth.
I don't know how people expect these cars to ever lose much value when the Cayman R's are still going for MSRP with lots of miles. What does 75-85k get you in the new Porsche market nowadays? A four cylinder turbo car that sounds like a Subaru.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:25 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxGarweg
I don't know how people expect these cars to ever lose much value when the Cayman R's are still going for MSRP with lots of miles. What does 75-85k get you in the new Porsche market nowadays? A four cylinder turbo car that sounds like a Subaru.
Yeah, but the Spyder is not the Cayman R: not that many people are interested in the Spyder's funky roof, I think, and the Cayman is a favorite on the track. The really clean manual 987 Spyder with 6,000 miles went for $51k on BAT last week; it wasn't one of the odd "no A/C" models either. I think that was a $68k MSRP car, so it sold at 75% of MSRP. I would expect the 981, being newer, would sell for around 80% of MSRP, but again, that is squarely in the $75-85k bucket. You can't really compare to "new" as the market isn't the same; most non-enthusiasts have never heard of a Spyder or GT4; if it isn't on the floor at their dealer, they don't know it exists. I saw a 981 Spyder when I first test-drove a Cayman, and thought "that looks kinda cool" and the dealer was saying "last of a breed right there, won't see many more of those" but I had no idea what made it special. My theory: the Spyder takes an enthusiast to appreciate, and most enthusiasts I talk to are more drawn to coupes and GT cars specifically. That is why they made so many more GT4 models than Spyder models in the 981 generation: the GT4 was getting ADM while the Spyder was sitting on lots, not selling. I almost bought a Spyder last year, but my wife, at the last minute, said no, we are getting a GT4 instead; she liked the lines better and thought it was more appropriate for a Porsche look and feel. I would have preferred the Spyder, but again, the GT4 is much less niche than the Spyder in the eyes of most.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:51 AM
MaxGarweg
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Yeah, but the Spyder is not the Cayman R: not that many people are interested in the Spyder's funky roof, I think, and the Cayman is a favorite on the track. The really clean manual 987 Spyder with 6,000 miles went for $51k on BAT last week; it wasn't one of the odd "no A/C" models either. I think that was a $68k MSRP car, so it sold at 75% of MSRP. I would expect the 981, being newer, would sell for around 80% of MSRP, but again, that is squarely in the $75-85k bucket. You can't really compare to "new" as the market isn't the same; most non-enthusiasts have never heard of a Spyder or GT4; if it isn't on the floor at their dealer, they don't know it exists. I saw a 981 Spyder when I first test-drove a Cayman, and thought "that looks kinda cool" and the dealer was saying "last of a breed right there, won't see many more of those" but I had no idea what made it special. My theory: the Spyder takes an enthusiast to appreciate, and most enthusiasts I talk to are more drawn to coupes and GT cars specifically. That is why they made so many more GT4 models than Spyder models in the 981 generation: the GT4 was getting ADM while the Spyder was sitting on lots, not selling. I almost bought a Spyder last year, but my wife, at the last minute, said no, we are getting a GT4 instead; she liked the lines better and thought it was more appropriate for a Porsche look and feel. I would have preferred the Spyder, but again, the GT4 is much less niche than the Spyder in the eyes of most.

I definitely hear where you are coming from. But the 981's really don't have nearly as fiddly of a roof as the 987. I get that the R's are desirable for track but according to Chris Harris, the R is basically a Cayman with door pulls vs the 981 GT4 being a proper Porsche Motorsport Product. I just can't ever see GT4's or Spyders ever selling for less than R's. Sure the spyder will be less desirable than the GT4 as it missed out on the GT treatment but so did the R and there are almost twice as many R's as there are Spyders. Heres the interview with Harris. Starts with electric cars but he quickly gets to Porsches. https://www.topgear.com/videos/elect...mustang-mach-e
Old 01-08-2020, 05:49 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 101 Posts

981.1 Spyder quite rare relative to 981.1 GT4. If I remember correctly, around 800 vs 2500 GT4. So the car not depreciating much should not be a huge surprise. Based on what I see the Spyder is a 2nd, 3rd, 4th Porsche for most owners, not their only Porsche. So most people I know with them intend to hold on to them. Great sunny day car. I personally see no need to change for the 981.2. Car has very good power to grip ratio for street use. To the OP, a buddy here has the triple black with buckets car you want. Probably <1500 miles. Will ask him if he wants to sell it. If so he'll want all the money.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Asking prices right now for Spyders are high IMO. I sold mine last summer, great spec, low miles. Very little interest at even an aggressively low 'market' ask, so I just gave it to my local dealer at a discount to move it quick and avoid the hassle of dealing with buyers. I think some people are hitting the crack pipe before they make their Spyder for sale ads on AT these days.
The following users liked this post:
raidersfan (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 04:08 AM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxGarweg
I definitely hear where you are coming from. But the 981's really don't have nearly as fiddly of a roof as the 987. I get that the R's are desirable for track but according to Chris Harris, the R is basically a Cayman with door pulls vs the 981 GT4 being a proper Porsche Motorsport Product. I just can't ever see GT4's or Spyders ever selling for less than R's. Sure the spyder will be less desirable than the GT4 as it missed out on the GT treatment but so did the R and there are almost twice as many R's as there are Spyders. Heres the interview with Harris. Starts with electric cars but he quickly gets to Porsches. https://www.topgear.com/videos/elect...mustang-mach-e
Where are there twice as many R's as there are Spyders? I think you have it the other way around, the R is the rarer car among the 987 variants.

In the 981 variants this flipped. The Spyder being the rarer.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:57 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Asking prices right now for Spyders are high IMO. I sold mine last summer, great spec, low miles. Very little interest at even an aggressively low 'market' ask, so I just gave it to my local dealer at a discount to move it quick and avoid the hassle of dealing with buyers. I think some people are hitting the crack pipe before they make their Spyder for sale ads on AT these days.
When I almost bought one 18 months ago, it was via a seller here. He had the same experience: he sold it for only $3k more than the dealer would pay him for it, which I think was $17k under MSRP for a 10k mile car. The ones listed for high prices are the proverbial "my wife made me list it for sale, and now I can tell her that we will be keeping the car due to lack of interest!".

Quick Reply: WTB: 2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder