Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

'05 996 GT3 Carrara White street/track setup for sale

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 11:04 PM
joshd
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default '05 996 GT3 Carrara White street/track setup for sale

Year: 2005
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Cont. Porsche Models: GT3
Mileage (numbers only please): 30798
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Airbags, Air Conditioning, Antilock Brakes, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows
Color: Carrara White
VIN: WP0AC29915S692225
Price (no $ sign please): $75000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorCal
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM CD

I am clearly not alone when I say that this car is the best vehicle that I've ever owned. I wish that I was in a position both financially and space-wise to keep it, but alas I have my eyes on a shiny new object and need to sell this one to make it happen. I've owned this machine for over 7 years, which alone is a testament to it's enduring greatness as I usually tire of cars within 2-3 years max. If I had to pick one word to describe it's best feature, I would say 'involving.' I have yet to find another car that feels more involving to drive. Anyway, if you're interested in these cars, you know all of this already.

HISTORY:

This car was originally owned by professional driver and instructor Seth Thomas and I'm the second owner (officially I think it was titled to his father then to him, but it was always his). I purchased it from Seth in 2011. Before I bought it, Seth had the car very well setup, including these modifications (his old ad is probably discoverable here and other sites):

• Moton Club Sport with quick disconnects with 600 fr/800rr springs
• RSS Adjustable Toe Steer kit
• RSS Adjustable Rear Kit
• RSS Monoball rear
• RSS Adjustable Thrust Arm kit
• PFC front direct-drive rotors
• PFC06 pads front and rear
• RS Carbon Rear wing (Factory Part not aftermaket)
• 996Cup front spoiler
• Porsche Euro Seats
• RS Alcantara Steering wheel
• RS Alcantara shift ****
• RS Alcantara Ebrake handle
• CD holder delete
• 19"x9" HRE C90 front wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 245/35/19
• 19"x12" HRE C90 rear wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 305/30/19

He did a nice job of attempting to make improvements to the 996 interior with the CD holder delete, and Alcantara steering wheel, shift ****, and e-brake handle. He also added the factory RS carbon fiber wing which is quite an expensive piece and really sets this example apart. For me, the car just doesn't look right with the stock wing ... somehow the giant carbon fiber picnic table wing balances it out better and makes up for the narrow hips. The Moton setup (with remote reservoirs attached to custom roll bar) was dialed in by Seth and is fantastic. Every other 996 GT3 owner that has driven my car has commented on how well sorted it feels without being too firm.

AFTER. SETH:

After I bought the car from Seth, I used it as a daily driver for about a year and then started attending track events with PCA, mostly at Summit Point. Since then, I retired it from daily duty and attended around 15 HPDE track days. For safety reasons, I added a custom fabricated Piper Motorsports roll bar in matching Carrara white with Schroth 6-point harnesses. (Enduro HANS drivers side, Profi ll for passenger). I'm fortunate that Mitch Piper's shop was about 10 minutes from my house as they did a fantastic job, properly welding the bar to the frame (see pics of install process). The car has never been involved in any type of accident or off track incident and always performed flawlessly on and off track.

After a few track days, I realized that the rear diff was shot (as they all seem to be about 10 minutes after driving off the dealer lot), and had it rebuilt with the upgraded Guards components. While I was at it (famous last words before spending a ton of extra $$$), I upgraded to a lightweight flywheel and clutch with the RS 4.0 kit. It now revs amazingly freely but that did increase the noise level while idling with the clutch out ...

One day while driving on the highway, a giant rock went right through the front bumper. I replaced it with an RS style bumper with vents on the top and the holes on the bottom blocked off. The radiator is properly canted forward (as it is in the RS) so the air flows across it as it exits upward instead of down. This is supposed to decrease lift but I have to data on that. I didn't really notice a difference, but have never had any issues with cooling.

The only other significant change I made was to have a custom fabricated ram air scoop added to the rear deck lid, also inspired the by RS. The body shop did a beautiful job, you absolutely cannot tell that it didn't come from the factory like that, and the similarly designed RS scoop was supposedly good for something like 10-15 hp at around 80 mph (forget exact details but I'm sure someone will correct me).

Here's the complete list of changes that I made since buying it from Seth:

* Piper Motorsports custom fabricated and installed roll bar - properly welded to frame
* Schroth Enduro 6 point harness / HANS / black - drivers side
* Schroth Profi ll 6 point harness / 3" / black - passenger side
* Guards rear diff rebuilt
* Lightweight Flywheel and Clutch - RS 4.0 package
* Custom fabricated RS-style (larger for ram air effect) rear deck air dam
* RS style front bumper with top vents and bottom holes blocked off - radiator canted forward and air flow directed upward
* Fresh set of PFC06 pads front and rear
* The HRE wheels now have Michelin Pilot Super Sports
* The stock 18” wheels have new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s
* Four brand new Girodisc rotors as of March 2018
* Motor dropped and all coolant lines pinned!!
* New gauge faces (old ones were bubbling)

THE BOTTOM LINE:

I'm reluctantly selling my gorgeous Carrara white 996 GT3 with 30k miles and a few choice RS upgrades that is perfectly setup for street and track and needs absolutely nothing. In addition to the rebuilt Guards diff and RS 4.0 flywheel and clutch package, It has fresh plugs and all fluids recently changed (and always changed at more frequent intervals than probably necessary). Most importantly. maintenance-wise, I just spent around $4k to have the engine out for pinning of all coolant lines. Maintenance and coolant line pinning done at BRRacing in Lost Gatos, CA. It also has new Girodisc rotors front and rear with PFC06 pads and a fresh set of MPSC 2s with only one track day on them. HREs wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sports included at the asking price. No accidents and all original paint with no touch-up. There are rock chips in the expected locations, but no dents whatsoever.

I also have a DME readout performed by BRRacing showing ZERO stage 2 overrevs.

WHAT SETS IN APART FROM OTHER STREET/TRACK prepped GT3s:

- Factory RS carbon fiber wing
- Custom molded RS style ram air deck lid
- Custom Piper Motorsports Roll Bar
- RS-style front bumper with proper air flow configuration (this one is subjective but I like it)
- Moton Club Sport suspension setup by Seth Thomas
- set of HREs for street/show
- alcantara interior bits and cd holder delete

It's not a museum piece collectors item and it's not an all-out gutted dedicated track machine. But if you're interested in a 996 GT3 that you can legally and comfortably drive to the track, have the time of your life becoming one with a machine that can compete with just about anything on the track, then hop in and drive it home without having to deal with a trailer ... I'm not sure you can do much better.

Many pics at the link, but I will also attach a few to this thread:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1Z5cLqfN2zYBL

I've tried to price it fairly given that: there will never be an analog GT3 like this again, it has tens of thousands of dollars in carefully chosen upgrades, it is completely up to date on maintenance including the critical coolant line pinning, but it is not a perfect collector's show car.
Attached Images           
Old 07-01-2018, 11:51 PM
joshd
Instructor

It was a fairly low option car:

Old 07-01-2018, 11:55 PM
joshd
Instructor

Some interior shots + closeup of HREs

Old 07-02-2018, 08:14 AM
FEKGT3
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Beautiful car and perfectly set up. Nicely present and should sell quickly. I’d buy if I didn’t have one already.
GLWS
Old 07-02-2018, 06:54 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,396 Likes on 669 Posts

Just confirming this has functioning AC. Thanks
Old 07-02-2018, 06:59 PM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
Just confirming this has functioning AC. Thanks
Yes it does!! A/C works well.

Note: For those that would rather purchase from a dealer, the sale can be brokered through BRRacing in Los Gatos, CA. They have already been through the car with a fine tooth comb and can vouch for it's condition. They have a very good reputation in the area, so you can be sure they will give you any detail requested. They also performed the DME dump which showed zero stage 2 overrevs.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 07-02-2018, 10:54 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Wow, what a nicely set up 6gt3 for a great price! GLWS!
Old 07-03-2018, 07:40 AM
elombard
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Useless fact: I was a contract engineer in Afghanistan for the Army Corps of Engineers 2010-2012 - this car was my screen saver the whole time I was over there. I think Seth owned it at that time still. It was very aspirational and a great distraction while being away from the family for so long. Love a White GT3! GLWS
Old 07-03-2018, 11:55 AM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by elombard
Useless fact: I was a contract engineer in Afghanistan for the Army Corps of Engineers 2010-2012 - this car was my screen saver the whole time I was over there. I think Seth owned it at that time still. It was very aspirational and a great distraction while being away from the family for so long. Love a White GT3! GLWS
Not a useless fact, that's an honor! Thanks for putting your life on the line for the rest of us ... I'm glad it could provide inspiration for you! Of course, now's your chance to reward yourself and have it in your garage instead of on your computer 😇.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:07 PM
M3BimmerBilly
Instructor

Sweet Jesus

I need to bring this back to Georgia
Old 07-03-2018, 10:41 PM
Tombstone4478
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 81 Posts

My first porshe was a 996 GT3 in white. Still my favorite. Stunning car and nicely setup. GLWS
Old 07-03-2018, 11:54 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Very similar example to my car and you'd have to pry it from my cold dead fingers before I'd let her go. Good luck to the seller, this is a steal when you consider smiles per dollar!

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 07-04-2018, 01:33 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Very cool. This is within a few VIN numbers of the last North American Specification 996 GT3 ever built.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:45 AM
elombard
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joshd
Not a useless fact, that's an honor! Thanks for putting your life on the line for the rest of us ... I'm glad it could provide inspiration for you! Of course, now's your chance to reward yourself and have it in your garage instead of on your computer 😇.
Thanks - If I did not have 2 in college I would seriously consider it!
Old 07-04-2018, 02:16 PM
joshd
Instructor

Originally Posted by onelove
Very similar example to my car and you'd have to pry it from my cold dead fingers before I'd let her go. Good luck to the seller, this is a steal when you consider smiles per dollar!
Truth!! I would absolutely keep it if I had the space and the cash to buy the other cars I want as well!

Quick Reply: '05 996 GT3 Carrara White street/track setup for sale