Sponsored by:

California Duster

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 06:43 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by JCWLS3
Agreed. Used them for 20 years as described here. No scratches or swirls — the thick fibers lift dust away from the clear coat.

I would never use one for anything other than removing a fine coat of surface dust. They’re not designed for heavier cleaning (that’s why they’re called the California Car DUSTER). They will scratch paint if used improperly.
+1 - I have one...works well for dust NOT for dirt...
The following users liked this post:
992Sam (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 03:00 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,687 Likes on 5,114 Posts

Agreed. Used them for 20 years as described here. No scratches or swirls — the thick fibers lift dust away from the clear coat.

I would never use one for anything other than removing a fine coat of surface dust. They’re not designed for heavier cleaning (that’s why they’re called the California Car DUSTER). They will scratch paint if used improperly.
Originally Posted by Overdraft
+1 - I have one...works well for dust NOT for dirt...
Hence the name ... California Duster
Old 01-21-2020, 11:26 AM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

NEVER “dust” your car!!! Rinse it off first. Then blow dry. You will scratch your paint. Or swirl it. This is what dealerships do and hence you have swirls.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:29 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,406 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Hence the name ... California Duster
Hence....only to be used in California.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:36 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by NOSUB2T
NEVER “dust” your car!!! Rinse it off first. Then blow dry. You will scratch your paint. Or swirl it. This is what dealerships do and hence you have swirls.
Only if you don't know what you're doing, or are using a poorly designed product. Sorry, decades of direct experience says otherwise.

And 2020, amen to using one to remove pollen. Same deal here in North Texas. March through June, our cars gets lightly kissed by a coat of greenish-yellow pollen every time they're rolled out of the garage. I use the duster for that too. If I was really smart, I'd do a PTS in Snot Green for our 992. Problem solved.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:07 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Only if you don't know what you're doing, or are using a poorly designed product. Sorry, decades of direct experience says otherwise.

And 2020, amen to using one to remove pollen. Same deal here in North Texas. March through June, our cars gets lightly kissed by a coat of greenish-yellow pollen every time they're rolled out of the garage. I use the duster for that too. If I was really smart, I'd do a PTS in Snot Green for our 992. Problem solved.
I’ve got decades of experience. Many Many cars and hundreds of car polishing and cleaners over the years and here are my conclusions:
1. Never ever use automatic car washers
2. Always protect your car with a dilm
3. Nano coatings are amazing and a must do
4. Never use dusters or microfiber cloths on a dry car to dust it. You will scratch it.
5. Always blow dry your car. Simple leaf blower is fine. If your car is nano coated or well waxed the water will bead off quickly.
6. Do your own car. No one cares for it more than you. If not make sure whoever you use follows all of these guidelines
7. Use a bucket with a grate at the bottom so dirt settles at the bottom and doesn’t get on your wash mitt or cloth
8. Always use a microfiber wash mitt.
9. Try to use a high pressure sprayer or strong water sprayer on your car prior to washing to get off all dirt.

I know this sounds like a lot but it only takes me 30 minutes to wash and dry a 911 at the most. Especially when it is coated.
My cars are always scratch and swirl free. I only buy darker cars and my finish looks like a mirror.

Last edited by NOSUB2T; 01-23-2020 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:28 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,335 Likes on 752 Posts

What he said.

I only use the mini California Duster for a quick swipe of the dash and console between details and never on the paint.
Huge believer in the 2 bucket with grates wash method, blow dry the car and only wipe it down as a final with a mist of CQuartz Elixir or Reload after the wash.

I never use a car wash and under the penalty of death do not allow the dealer to wash it.

I most likely spend to much on product and towels for the outside and inside detailing but my car is 5 years old with over 30k miles and still looks showroom with a few road rash badges of courage.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Penn4S; 01-23-2020 at 08:51 PM.
NOSUB2T (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 08:30 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Originally Posted by Penn4S
What he said.

I only use the mini California Duster for a quick swipe of the dash and console between details and never on the paint.
Huge believer in the 2 bucket with grates wash method, blow dry the car and only wipe it down as a final with a mist of CQuartz Elixir or Reload.

I never use a car wash and under the penalty of death do not allow the dealer to wash it.

I most likely spend to much on product and towels for the outside and inside detailing but my car is 5 years old with over 30k miles and still looks showroom with a few road rash badges of courage.
RELOAD is awesome!!!!
Old 01-23-2020, 10:46 PM
JCWLS3
Burning Brakes

Received 367 Likes on 176 Posts

Gorgeous cars, fellas!
NOSUB2T (01-24-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 08:54 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't do it. Compressed air or an electric leaf blower for dusting.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:02 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 456 Likes on 308 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority. I've used CA Dusters for years on numerous cars. NEVER an issue with scratches/swirls. Use as directed on DUST/pollen ONLY and you'll be just fine. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:06 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,201 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally Posted by enzom
It is fine for dust. I use one on my Mclarens. But NOT for dirt. If your car is dirty - wash it. If you washed it and it has been sitting in the garage for a week or so gathering dust, then I think it works well.
+1
I wouldn't have wanted to own any of my black cars without one.

Quick Reply: California Duster