Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder 1st Sighting... & it looks like a Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 07:08 PM
jwade
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Saw these today on R&T. Getting close!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...der-spy-shots/
Old 11-16-2017, 07:20 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That’s interesting. The PSC2 and those are GT3 brakes means it’s going to be closer to GT4 than before. Mind you, I think those brakes might be available on other 911s these days.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

The 981 Spyder and GT4 shared, along with the other cars in the GT line-up, the front grill/intake at the nose of the car right below the front trunk lid.

Cool trivia: The Spyder was the only non-GT car to have this feature.

Now fast forward:

The pics of the new GT4 mule posted yesterday shows this same grill carried over to the new car.

But the grill is gone in the R&T pics of the Spyder mule.

Hmmmm . . . .
Old 11-16-2017, 08:00 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,874 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
The 981 Spyder and GT4 shared, along with the other cars in the GT line-up, the front grill/intake at the nose of the car right below the front trunk lid.

Cool trivia: The Spyder was the only non-GT car to have this feature.

Now fast forward:

The pics of the new GT4 mule posted yesterday shows this same grill carried over to the new car.

But the grill is gone in the R&T pics of the Spyder mule.

Hmmmm . . . .

Find it unlikely they keep the standard GTS/Sport Design bumper for the Spyder also...likely still just a feature on the mule. Would be surprised if that's the finished product.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:56 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,685 Likes on 925 Posts

For the lazy

Old 11-16-2017, 09:00 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Keep in mind, just like the first original GT4 spy pic... this is the GTS front bumper, not the Production Spyder bumper.

The one thing I notice on these pic... Wheels and Brakes... Both from GT4
Old 11-16-2017, 09:01 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Find it unlikely they keep the standard GTS/Sport Design bumper for the Spyder also...likely still just a feature on the mule. Would be surprised if that's the finished product.
Exactly.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:06 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Hmmm... Knowing we are seeing the same wheels and brakes on this Spyder as the GT4... and the same diffuser and exhaust layout, will this be the first GT Spyder??? There were some earlier discussion about this potentially happening and the response was quite good. All I have to say is this is going to be way more expensive than the 981... and I'm glad I have my name down already!!!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:09 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,874 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Hmmm... Knowing we are seeing the same wheels and brakes on this Spyder as the GT4... and the same diffuser and exhaust layout, will this be the first GT Spyder??? There were some earlier discussion about this potentially happening and the response was quite good. All I have to say is this is going to be way more expensive than the 981... and I'm glad I have my name down already!!!
Likewise...getting more excited at this prospect. Also happy I have my name down. Even if the price is (understandably) raised, a Spyder with GT suspension/brakes/tweaks is mouthwatering...
Old 11-16-2017, 11:25 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Looks like my dream is gonna come true! I have been saying for a long time: Spyder got to be a GT! GT4 wheel/tire setup is the first indication that it may actually happen! Another indication is, both GT4 and Spyder prototypes are being tested at the same time frame; most probably by the same team/department. I am gonna bet a dime that we are witnessing the first true, open GT car, not withstanding Carrera GT. In fact, one of the board members from Germany posted a picture of Spyder sporting GT4 wheels, at the factory. So, yeah, it's coming!
Old 11-16-2017, 11:40 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

The retractable wing is flatter and wider. So, even when retracted, should provide less lift. I would guess when deployed, could raise higher, generating more down force. Elegant solution than fixed wing, though with slight weight penalty.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:51 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Hmmm... Knowing we are seeing the same wheels and brakes on this Spyder as the GT4... and the same diffuser and exhaust layout, will this be the first GT Spyder???
Originally Posted by the_rider
Looks like my dream is gonna come true! I have been saying for a long time: Spyder got to be a GT! . . . I am gonna bet a dime that we are witnessing the first true, open GT car, not withstanding Carrera GT.
For those who might have previously missed it:

From Eduardo's recap of AP's discussion at the PCA Hospitality tent at Rennsport on Sunday Sept 27, 2015:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8963...er-spyder.html

Question by Rennlister SmokinGTS:
"I was really hoping that the Boxster Spyder (981) would have the suspension & performance (of the gt4)...it was
a missed opportunity of setting that car (981 Boxster Spyder) up so that we would have the suspension & horsepower
(to track the car)...
"

Response by Andreas Preuninger:
"I understand your point. You might be right. There is a lot of synergy to be found if you do it to two cars which shares components as many as possible. The thing is we started the gt4 program a little bit ahead of the Boxster Spyder and we in Motorsports just didn't do open cars, you know...must of you know that these cars (points to the gt4) are developed in Porsche Motorsports department and not in the standard (series) development department...we are one/tenth (of the size in staff) but the way of doing things is a little bit different sometimes, and the colleagues from the standard department they had the capacity to do this Boxster Spyder and they had the idea...and I don't think a Spyder, a Boxster Spyder, is a Motorsport product, to be frank, and that was what we were discussing when we started...

But now that we see that most of the Boxster Spyder customers are really, exactly, asking that question, that might have been a mistake. And I think in future model, models, models...the Spyder & the gt4 will be a bit closer together regarding, especially, the suspension...

And if our superiors make the decision that the Motorsports department is willing...is allowed to do an open version as well, that is good, that would be good !(makes a motion with his hand of 'victory'). And I would like that!

Just wait a little while more, I know the Spyder, the Boxster Spyder, is not a track car...the gt car (turns to the gt4) is more
of that kind of a track car, but I think we are going to change that in the future, to be frank! (Applause from the audience)

Old 11-17-2017, 12:56 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

SJ, That was the discussion I was referencing. Thanks for posting it in detail.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:57 AM
06C2s
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting post all around, I for one am really looking forward to see what is really coming. I have a GT4 but am starting to lean towards the spyder next time especially if it has all the GT4 parts.

But they will have to change that GTS front end..that I do not like
Old 11-17-2017, 12:59 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

More pics from Motor1

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder 1st Sighting... & it looks like a Turbo.