Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats scary.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:39 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
Make sure, with this type of torque wrench, that you do not store it set at anything but zero. The springs will develop a memory and it will become inaccurate.
I bought a more expensive, split beam type torque wrench after developing a distrust for any other type.
https://www.amazon.com/2inch-Torque-...e+wrench+1%2F2
Thanks for tip, but I already put it back to zero every time after use.

The guy that calibrated my torque wrench at the Florida Standards Laboratory told me that he was pleasantly surprised to see how accurate it was. It was within 1% and no calibration was needed. That's how it came from the factory.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by henryting
They should be applied to the threads as well as between the floating ball and the lug nut. Read your owner's manual, it stated to use Castrol Molub-Alloy paste.
Lotsa wierd stuff out there about this stuff.... see snip from my manual.

Optimoly TA is a simple, and very common aluminum lubricant paste. Just buy a tiny, thin tube of Permatex anti sieze at any autoparts store. One of these little tubes will last a lifetime. A tiny tiny dab will do ya... on the tip and just let the turning inside the hole spread itself for fine satisfaction. I found that you really don't have to reapply it.... one tiny dap will last a few years of winter / summer swaps.

It is primarily aluminum paste but I think it also has copper and graphite in it. Beware, just use a tiny bit... and this chit gets everywhere... I don't know how it knows to jump off your finger and up your nostril but it will.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 10-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Anti-seize is insidious stuff. When it gets on you, it spreads like wildfire.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

If you are just street driving the Peramtex antiseaze if OK but the Castrol Optimoly paste will not turn to liquid when the wheels get hot from track use. So if you track your car...trust me..only use the Castrol Optimoly Paste...its really the best out there and does not break down due to heat.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:34 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Never trust anybody on wheel lug tightening

As other said, always do your own wheel lug tightening with a good torque wrench. I use cheap Harbor Freight tools, but my 1/2" torque wrench is the electronic Snap On. Relying on any tire shop, indys or garage always makes me nervous afterwards and I have to personally check on the torques. This is especially important on track days with wheel spacers installed. BTW, I use the same titanium bolts from Worldsport and never have any problems.

Quick Reply: Titanium Lug Bolts came loose at the track