Sponsored by: APR

New (to me) 981 Spyder... better than GT4

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:10 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default New (to me) 981 Spyder... better than GT4

Today I picked up a new (to me) 981 Spyder (white w/buckets and classic Spyder interior color scheme). Drove it home from Cleveland to Columbus this afternoon. A few pics of it below taken by Greg Castell (Flat 6 Photowerks) who works for Porsche Beachwood and who is a spectacular car photographer.

I traded in my 991.1 GT3 (have a .2 GT3 on order expecting delivery about May 2018), so that's what I'm coming from most recently. But until last November, I also had a new GT4, which I wasn't all that impressed with, despite having a bias toward coupes vs. convertibles.

What can I say? The Spyder is spectacular! Feels lighter and more powerful than the GT4 based on my memory, despite same engine. And it definitely sounds better than the GT4, thanks I suppose to the thin cloth top that lets you hear more of the engine's music.

This Spyder, which has about 3,000 miles, had just had new Pirellie P Zero Trofeo R tires put on it, which is an extreme high performance summer / track-focused tire I've never driven on before. While I suspect they're probably no good in the wet, they are great in the dry - comfortable, grippy, and not too loud. Maybe this has something to do with why I think the car handles better than the GT4, which had stock MPSC2 tires.

Also love that this Spyder has Burmester audio; GT4 was only avail. to order w/"Sound Package Plus", which is a step lower than Bose.

Spyder looks, sounds, and drives fantastic. Except for on-track, maybe, I think I like it better than the 991.1 GT3 despite the power and aero deficit.

I think it's a keeper!

Old 10-16-2017, 09:36 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Beautiful, congrats.
Very similar to mine, but I'm with sofas, Bose, silver rims, and PCCBs. Gets lots of attention on the road. Happy motoring.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:36 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Beautiful color combo, great pics and interesting comparative feedback. High praise indeed.

Enjoy and welcome to Spyder Nation!
Old 10-16-2017, 10:25 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Congratulations. Looks sharp. White/red is a classic combo.

So, you like the Spyder better than 991.1 GT3 and GT4! You just can't beat the open top driving experience. Everything gets amplified: the sound, sensation, wind, sun, etc. Is the Spyder more tossable than GT3 on the street?
Old 10-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

beautiful, congrats!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:06 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by the_rider
Congratulations. Looks sharp. White/red is a classic combo.

So, you like the Spyder better than 991.1 GT3 and GT4! You just can't beat the open top driving experience. Everything gets amplified: the sound, sensation, wind, sun, etc. Is the Spyder more tossable than GT3 on the street?
havent had enough seat time yet in Spyder to make definitive statements like that. But I’ll say this: Spyder definitely feels lighter and easier to to thread through tight corners. GT3 feels heavier and has more absolute grip and power. But in typical driving around city street, the Spyder is certainly the more comfortable one to drive quickly.

Will have ave to take the Spyder down to some of my favorite roads in Hocking Hills, a route I’ve taken many times as recently as last week in 991.1 GT3. Afterwards will post my impressions.

Again, I suspect my experience with this Spyder will be colored somewhat by the unique tires on it vs what would be standard on a typical Spyder.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:41 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Tires make a huge difference in grip. With Trofeos, the Spyder should handle about the same as a stock GT4, even with its much wider wheels/tires. But yes, I wouldn't use it in anything but nice weather, although light rain should be fine. But forget about cold weather with those tires. Congrats man. I also like my sport cars with luxury features, like a nice stereo, memory, full leather, etc. That's why I never even considered a GT3 before. I think the .2 will come with memory, power steering column, and maybe Burmester. If it does, my current CGTS might not be my first and last Porsche. Enjoy your new toy. Or toys.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:24 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome - congrats!
Old 10-17-2017, 02:26 AM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I also came from a .1 GT3 and think my Spyder is more fun on the street. I miss the 9k redline and track abilities of the GT3 but the Spyder actually is a more fun street car IMHO! My GT Silver car also came with the classic int.,LWBS and Burmester(heard this is lighter than Bose setup). For further weight savings I also have PCCB. Trying to keep it stock, its already so good. Enjoy!
Old 10-17-2017, 07:19 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

congratulations . I have a spyder and GT3RS at present and previously a .1 GT3 with the spyder.
Never owned a GT4 but driven it multiple times
The spyder gives you a unique experience not matched by the other three. I think it is related to the open top and the fact it is more relaxing to drive as compared to the others, but still handles great.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:21 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Congrats.
I agree that the spyder is awesome but not sure I'd say better than a GT4
They are both incredible in their own way so to me it depends on what your usage will be.
I don't think one is really better than the other...just more geared to their own purposes.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Masergss
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great photographer, stunning car, enjoy!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:45 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

no doubt GT4 a better track car thanks to its bespoke suspension and brakes from GT3, wider tires, and likely more rigid body with roof.

if I have seller’s remorse for GT4 it has more to do with $$$ than wishing I had it back to drive.

The 991.2 GT3 (Touring) I have coming next year will be a far better track car than GT4, and will have a manual also, so I’m not worried about missing the GT4. The Spyder is for the street, and for that purpose, I’m confident I’ll appreciate it more.

Had as a conversation today with a client who likes Ferrari and Lambo, etc. I could never drive a car like that. Can’t imagine being seen in one for what people would think of me. It reminds me of another reason why I think I like the Spyder over GT4.... no wing.

Maybe I’m being delusional, but I think most people can look at a Boxster Spyder (or a GT3 Touring) and think, wow, what a beautiful, cool car, but without thinking “who’s that ******* in that car with the big wing on it?!” Or “who’s that pretentious pompous jerk pulling up in the Ferrari or Lambo!?”
Old 10-18-2017, 10:06 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Congrats on the your beautiful Spyder. I personally LOVE White w/ Red Interior!
Old 10-19-2017, 03:26 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
......... Spyder definitely feels lighter and easier to to thread through tight corners. GT3 feels heavier and has more absolute grip and power. But in typical driving around city street, the Spyder is certainly the more comfortable one to drive quickly.

GT3 does weigh more. Is it by about 300 lbs? So, no surprise there. With less grip and rubber (and, mid-engine layout), Spyder could rotate better.

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Tires make a huge difference in grip. With Trofeos, the Spyder should handle about the same as a stock GT4, even with its much wider wheels/tires. But yes, I wouldn't use it in anything but nice weather, although light rain should be fine. But forget about cold weather with those tires. ................

Just look at the tire! It looks almost semi-slick. I wouldn't want to drive it in rain. Seems it would aquaplane at any speed! Even after slight wear, it would be semi-slick! Dry handling could be terrific though.

Originally Posted by Lapis
............. “who’s that ******* in that car with the big wing on it?!” Or “who’s that pretentious pompous jerk pulling up in the Ferrari or Lambo!?”
Are these the impressions people usually get when they see a Ferrari or Lambo? Or, a Porsche with wing? You are probably being overly harsh. There may some negative reactions on the fringe. But, you will get those regardless which nice sports car you drive. They shouldn't dictate your life style choices.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: New (to me) 981 Spyder... better than GT4