Picture of "Chalk" in the sun...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:12 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,545 Likes on 5,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Like I said, it doesn't know if it wants to be white or grey, so it splits the difference like almond milk.

I honestly think someone at PAG thought up both Chalk and Graphite Blue Metallic as a goof on Porsche customers to prove they'd buy anything that they were told is cool. I still think River Yellow PTS is coming one day.
I think that prize was already given to Lime Gold Metallic for the 991.1 911.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:20 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Not enough colors if you ask me. I'm not going to start knocking colors until there are more of them to knock.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:26 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

worst color they could come up with period
Old 09-27-2017, 01:29 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,870 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think that prize was already given to Lime Gold Metallic for the 991.1 911.
But nobody actually bought LGM...

Seriously, Porsche knows that they can produce a small number of cars in any awful color they choose and people will buy them, simply because it's different. Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Old 09-27-2017, 01:59 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There are a number of colours that look good in certain light but not so good under other conditions. IMO, any lighter, subtle colour can get quite washed out in bright direct sunlight. I've seen a bunch of light greys that turn essentially off-white, and even LO turns all weird. IMO even a spectacular blue like Riviera can look unattractive in really bright light. Only the very dark colours benefit from those conditions to my eye. I guess it helps that I live in Vancouver then!! lol
But thanks to the OP for those photos. I do think I can detect a bit of a difference with Chalk and Fashion grey now, although, honestly FG does turn rather beige in bright sunlight too.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:01 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

I have also seen it on a Panamera and hated it, yet I haven't seen someone who has seen it on a GT3 (or 911 for that matter) say it doesn't look great.

Still very happy with my traffic cone orange GTS though. I'd almost get it again, except it seems wrong to not change colors up.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So why don't we select a group of jury to officially approve which colours don't make people puke or laugh ?

I don't get this hate. It's good to hear comments (those actually prevented me from getting MB not that I care about others opinion but made me pay more visits to dealers and see it under different lights) but there are as many tastes as many colours are IMHO.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:59 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I have also seen it on a Panamera and hated it, yet I haven't seen someone who has seen it on a GT3 (or 911 for that matter) say it doesn't look great.

Still very happy with my traffic cone orange GTS though. I'd almost get it again, except it seems wrong to not change colors up.
I think the really light colors benefit from black accents... probably why on the GT3.2 chalk is ok.. black wing tips, maybe even door handles, black wheels.. but otherwise porsches color palette is just so bizarre.. it’s like they plan everything to be just a tiny bit off from what one would really want. And that’s the issue.. we shouldn’t have to try so hard to make ourselves like a color. I mean think about it..

Chalk?.. crayon? look, it’s called almond milk... one of the geniuses on this forum figured it out.. the game is over.. we’re going to call it “lactose intolerant vanilla cream†now just to puss you off you color-challenges Germans. Why couldn’t you have made it sport classic grey or even fashion grey and we’d be happy. But almond?.. seriously?

-Guards red?.. yea yea.. historic color yada yada.. you know we would die for Ferrari Red don’t you?.. yes you do porsche. We won’t tell if you don’t, but Ferrari Red beats milky guards red all day.
-Carmine?.. that’s your apology for guRds? Close, but bmw Imola Red is spot on while Carmine looks like it swam in purple when it was drunk... ugh.. you went too far.
-Miami blue?.. oh come on, that’s the real joke. You give us turquoise?.. is it an inside joke to see if we figure it out? In meantime you make us squint why don’t you... why that **** when it’s clear we all wanted Mexico or riviera? Argh!
-Racing yellow?.. it’s like a fluorescent marker fell in the blend.. what happened to speed yellow which was gorgeous?
-Lava Orange.. sure, you tried.. but pastel was the historic one we all would have died for.
-Sapphire Blue?.. yea, on a regular 911.. but take away the metallic and we’d have a real cool color.
Let’s not even mention the 2014 starting colors like lime metallic and mahogany.. what the eff?..

Oh.. and I won’t even start with how they took dark blue metallic away after 2014.. what a joke.

And speaking of jokes... PTS. Almost tripled the price and then left the Americans to twiddle their twiddles in v180 land... look, it’s a spectrum scam that’s what it is.

talk amongst yourselves, I’m verklempt, I’ll give you a topic..

The topic is ... “WTF Porsche.. you think we don’t see through your little game, playing with the cones of our eyes, forcing us to look at our cars through our iPhone camera in order not to cringe? You want us to drive like that... looking through a filter? You think we can fool our friends telling them not to look directly at our car like it’s a friggin solar eclipse?.. you think they’ll fall for that? No, the answer is no they won’t fall for it. They’ll just tell us our baby is the wrong color.. and then we’ll have to go all Colin Kaepernick on them and take a knee and it will get reaaaally ugly.

All because of what?.. what?! You couldn’t give us a decent color palette. Ugh.. I’m even more verklempt now. Bye.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (09-01-2021)
Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 53 Posts

I Don,t mind that sort of hue on a 356 or pre impact bumper 911,s ,,,,,,just don,t think it works on a modern P car ...........sorry but it looks like primer or under coat to me ..
Old 09-27-2017, 12:24 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I think the really light colors benefit from black accents... probably why on the GT3.2 chalk is ok.. black wing tips, maybe even door handles, black wheels.. but otherwise porsches color palette is just so bizarre.. it’s like they plan everything to be just a tiny bit off from what one would really want. And that’s the issue.. we shouldn’t have to try so hard to make ourselves like a color. I mean think about it..

Chalk?.. crayon? look, it’s called almond milk... one of the geniuses on this forum figured it out.. the game is over.. we’re going to call it “lactose intolerant vanilla cream†now just to puss you off you color-challenges Germans. Why couldn’t you have made it sport classic grey or even fashion grey and we’d be happy. But almond?.. seriously?

The sport classic gray 911R above looks great. I'm just not convinced that chalk is THAT different to divide the two colors into a LOVE & HATE thing. And I'd wager I could fool most here on picking between them in different lighting.

Chalk below -- looks good on a 911 (Panamera, not so much). And really, using a Panamera to showcase chalk to a GT3 crowd is akin to deciding if one likes a bikini on an obese model.

PS: I'm getting odd symbols and characters in your posts -- a mootish attempt at mysterious?
Old 09-27-2017, 09:09 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just spotted a new gts in crayon in the bright beautiful Vancouver sun, and I must say I'm underwhelmed. I think I'll stick with GR, and if I go premium it'll be CR.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:03 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

I read that California was going to "outlaw" new black cars.

Frankly, Colors I once found abhorrent I now find attractive and vice-versa.

Light and Color Theory in Physics was not my strongest hour, but I do believe taste is generally a matter of habit. And Classic Porsche Colors or classic Ferrari Colors will always have an edge.

My problem is color associations... Think Cal's "almond milk" comment. I love Lava Orange but add the Black Interior and I think Halloween-Mobile. I wish Porsche had more color combinations like Orange and Blue, or Orange and White or just more color options.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:05 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE

The sport classic gray 911R above looks great. I'm just not convinced that chalk is THAT different to divide the two colors into a LOVE & HATE thing. And I'd wager I could fool most here on picking between them in different lighting.

Chalk below -- looks good on a 911 (Panamera, not so much). And really, using a Panamera to showcase chalk to a GT3 crowd is akin to deciding if one likes a bikini on an obese model.

PS: I'm getting odd symbols and characters in your posts -- a mootish attempt at mysterious?
Haha; how did you find that pic? Did I post that at some point? That’s me and friends in front of my parents house after an epic track day.. stopped by to eat my mothers famous tiramisu.

Also, no idea about the weird characters.. I’ll try uninstalling and reinstalling the app on my iPhone.. doesn’t show up on my end, weird.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:55 AM
SCA11
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Chalk in person, inside and in direct sun

Originally Posted by johnny2five
I really really want to like this color. Flat greys are usually my favorite color on cars (fashion, slate, nardo, grigio telesto, etc.). But I saw a chalk in the sun for the first time last weekend (on a panamera turbo) and something just wasn't right. I think it's the cream appearance. I'm hoping I will like it more on a GT3.
I am beginning to wonder if it is a slightly different color on the Panameras? I had Chalk as my top choice and then saw this thread, which had me a bit worried. So I went to one of the local Bay Area dealers that had Chalk 911s both inside and in direct sun outside. In person, both cars looked pure gray without any hint of beige. They looked very close to what I remember Fashion Gray looked like. I really, really liked the Chalk color. It is so strange that some Panamera photos look beige-ish, because in person there is not even a hint of beige and it is a very nice light gray. I am sticking with it.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,545 Likes on 5,067 Posts

Originally Posted by SCA11
I am beginning to wonder if it is a slightly different color on the Panameras? I had Chalk as my top choice and then saw this thread, which had me a bit worried. So I went to one of the local Bay Area dealers that had Chalk 911s both inside and in direct sun outside. In person, both cars looked pure gray without any hint of beige. They looked very close to what I remember Fashion Gray looked like. I really, really liked the Chalk color. It is so strange that some Panamera photos look beige-ish, because in person there is not even a hint of beige and it is a very nice light gray. I am sticking with it.
I would not judge how any colors look on their own based on photographs. A comparison between other colors, maybe, but never as to how it appears by itself. For that, need to see in person.

Quick Reply: Picture of "Chalk" in the sun...