Final Configuration aka 991R. Opinion Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 02:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,777 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Buy and drive what makes you happy.

You're the only one who has to live with yourself everyday.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:48 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 246 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Can't make everyone happy: Some are offended by GT3 Touring and others (like you) seem offended by 911R.2 moniker.

Lighten up - don't take everything so seriously, you'll enjoy life better (or maybe not).
Was only pointing out the contradiction.. for clarity, I am not offended by the touring owners who think they are sticking it to the R owners.. It's quite comical from my POV..
Old 09-26-2017, 03:49 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I don’t like the stripes at all on the R. That being said, since you are getting the wing I think the stripes are fine and I don’t think anyone is going to call it a faux 911R. On the other hand, had you gotten the touring with black not chrome I could see it as a legitimate gripe about trying to copy. Then again there are probably 50 911r tributes for every original 911r so who cares.

I am going the other way entirely. I want my GT3 to look as much like a boring old 911 as possible. No wing, no stripes, chrome trim. I even speced model designation delete (whatever that does on a touring).
Old 09-26-2017, 09:12 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks. I am not trying to mimic 911R here. In fact that car does nothing to me except I'd love to have it. To flip :-)
I just like their decal color combination. And besides the stripes on sides of 911R have been available through tequipment for a while. I don't see anything wrong with the side decals but with the top decals still can't decide. I had the single stripe on my previous car but wanted something more to break the colour. I forgot to add that I have OEM fetish.
Anyway appreciate your opinions!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:14 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,194 Likes on 474 Posts

I put R stripes on my RS—aftermarket of course. I like them. Plus, they are very helpful at the track...easy to see in rear view mirror! Good luck with choice. Get what you like!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:19 PM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
I dig the R stripes and part of me wants them on my GT3.. but putting them on a GT3-T, is a bit poser... no?
Im with you RGT.. R stripes will be over done Im thinking. Also think the R stripes work best on the RS and R because of the bonnet and top central funneling lines.. Accentuates it. Ive seen on a GTS (aftermarket version) and doesn't look as good.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:41 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I know what you mean with the white. I keep coming back to white or silver. Both really pop and show off all the other parts of the car, especially with the black touring package. Even with the wing, white and silver stand out with the scoops and all the rest.

Especially since mahogany and Irish are only PTS 🙄
Old 09-27-2017, 12:34 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Ive been wondering if the R stripes flow directly “into†the GT3.2 rear intakes?.. meaning are they aligned and same thickness? It might look pretty cool if they do, but pretty terrible if they don’t, even if they’re misaligned by just a small amount
Old 09-27-2017, 12:47 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Ive been wondering if the R stripes flow directly “into†the GT3.2 rear intakes?.. meaning are they aligned and same thickness? It might look pretty cool if they do, but pretty terrible if they don’t, even if they’re misaligned by just a small amount
For sure they don't. They converge from the roof and continue on the rear deck lid. That looks ok on the R but would need to be custom tailored to align with the two air scoops.

They might look cool in the same black colour or red and have air intakes vinyl wrapped.

For the rear wing I recon its best to leave it alone.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:13 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Agree with qbix, looks to me like the R roof stripes are too far apart to align with the GT3.2 deck lid scoops.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:18 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Agree with qbix, looks to me like the R roof stripes are too far apart to align with the GT3.2 deck lid scoops.

This is an interesting pic.. at least the mouth of the scoops go to the edge of the deck lid.. the stripes would at least fit, even if not centered inside them.. I bet someone is going to do these stripes and it won’t look as bad as the center stripes which definitely won’t be aligned with the scoops at all!

In case of center stripes, they would have to stay thin enough down the middle of the decklid so it totally misses the scoops??? Or, go from roof directly to the wing?.. scoops definitely add a design conundrum now
Old 09-27-2017, 02:26 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This is an interesting pic.. at least the mouth of the scoops go to the edge of the deck lid.. the stripes would at least fit, even if not centered inside them.. I bet someone is going to do these stripes and it won’t look as bad as the center stripes which definitely won’t be aligned with the scoops at all!

In case of center stripes, they would have to stay thin enough down the middle of the decklid so it totally misses the scoops??? Or, go from roof directly to the wing?.. scoops definitely add a design conundrum now
What is wrong with your apostrophe key? ' is encoded as ’
Old 09-27-2017, 03:57 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I like the R better without the stripes, so I wouldn't want to put the R stripes on my own GT3 ! I am thinking about doing a centre stripe though, still not sure.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:17 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
Thanks. I am not trying to mimic 911R here. In fact that car does nothing to me except I'd love to have it. To flip :-)
I just like their decal color combination. And besides the stripes on sides of 911R have been available through tequipment for a while. I don't see anything wrong with the side decals but with the top decals still can't decide. I had the single stripe on my previous car but wanted something more to break the colour. I forgot to add that I have OEM fetish.
Anyway appreciate your opinions!

Porsche side logos (decals) are not at all reserved to the "R". I have them on my 987 Spyder and will very likely also have them on my Touring.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2017, 10:41 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Found on pistonheads. To me pretty cool
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Final Configuration aka 991R. Opinion Please