Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne GTS 958.2 sport Exhaust valve ALWAYS OPEN?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 01:03 PM
A7H335
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cayenne GTS 958.2 sport Exhaust valve ALWAYS OPEN?

Hi All,

Has anyone try to always open the 958.2 gts exhaust valves?

1. Is it vacuum or simply electric? (I didn't see any vaccum lines near the muffler)

2. Can I simply unplug the valve wiring? No error messages?

3. Is it fail - to - open design, once no electric power, it should remain open forever?

Thank you very much!

Li Wong
Old 09-21-2017, 01:11 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Not sure with the Porsche PSEs, but with the OEM system on the C6 gen Z06 Corvette, there was simply a dedicated fuse you removed that deactivated the system and caused the flaps to stay open all the time by default.

Could the PSE be that simple as well?
Old 09-22-2017, 09:09 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,601 Likes on 4,197 Posts

I think all of the Porsche PSE systems use an electric vacuum solenoid that when you start the car, activates, and pulls the valves closed - at least this is how the 997 one works. If you can trace the vacuum line(s) up to the solenoid, yes, you can unplug the electrical connector which will leave them open all the time. Porsche makes them open and close for 2 reasons though - 1 is for noise ordinances in Europe, but the other reason they close at low RPM even in sport mode is to create some back pressure, which increases low wnd torque and helps around town. Then once you're off and running again they'll open back up, increasing flow and power.

All the valve assemblies I've seen from all the main manufacturers look to be the same, jut mounted in different places - I'd be surprised if the Cayenne GTS is unique in this respect. They usually look like this (valve with the little rod that moves in and out from the vacuum).

Old 09-22-2017, 09:27 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I think all of the Porsche PSE systems use an electric vacuum solenoid that when you start the car, activates, and pulls the valves closed - at least this is how the 997 one works. If you can trace the vacuum line(s) up to the solenoid, yes, you can unplug the electrical connector which will leave them open all the time. Porsche makes them open and close for 2 reasons though - 1 is for noise ordinances in Europe, but the other reason they close at low RPM even in sport mode is to create some back pressure, which increases low wnd torque and helps around town. Then once you're off and running again they'll open back up, increasing flow and power.

All the valve assemblies I've seen from all the main manufacturers look to be the same, jut mounted in different places - I'd be surprised if the Cayenne GTS is unique in this respect. They usually look like this (valve with the little rod that moves in and out from the vacuum).

Yep, Z06 system looks very similar, same deal basically. I think you're probably correct in that if the OP unplugged the electrical connection to the system, they would stay open (basically the same principle as removing the fuse from the Z06 system). So the PSE doesn't also use a dedicated fuse for the system alone, as opposed to having to disconnect the electrical connection?
Old 09-22-2017, 09:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,601 Likes on 4,197 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Yep, Z06 system looks very similar, same deal basically. I think you're probably correct in that if the OP unplugged the electrical connection to the system, they would stay open (basically the same principle as removing the fuse from the Z06 system). So the PSE doesn't also use a dedicated fuse for the system alone, as opposed to having to disconnect the electrical connection?
On the 997, I don't believe it's on its own circuit, so assuming the Cayenne is the same. Porsche electrics are often so intertwined like for Sport Chrono, PSE, shock modulation, that it's usually less problematic just to disconnect the electrical connector than pull a fuse that might also control other things.

OP, looks like there's some good info here - https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ways-open.html
Old 09-25-2017, 12:11 AM
A7H335
AutoX

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Not sure with the Porsche PSEs, but with the OEM system on the C6 gen Z06 Corvette, there was simply a dedicated fuse you removed that deactivated the system and caused the flaps to stay open all the time by default.

Could the PSE be that simple as well?
How was low rpm torque? Do you feel car was less responsive?
Old 09-25-2017, 12:15 AM
A7H335
AutoX

Originally Posted by Petza914

Thank you very much Pete!

What parameters trigger the valve? I have secondary cats bypassed, do you think (for performance) I need to trigger it later or earlier? (if the logic is adjustable?)

Quick Reply: Cayenne GTS 958.2 sport Exhaust valve ALWAYS OPEN?