993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to repair trim panel backing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017 | 01:14 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Default How to repair trim panel backing.

Anyone know the best way to repair the trim panel backing that is found in our cars? To replace with new is either cost prohibitive or are no longer available for our cars. For those of you who have seen it, pieces can break off quite cleanly (like rigid plastic)
Attached is a picture of the backside of the trim roof panels in a targa but I believe it's the same material in our back wall trim panels (rear speaker deck area) on all of our cars. What exactly is this material made of?

I found that using the standard glue gun to resecure the leatherette covering works pretty well, but haven't really found a good way to repair these backings. It's made of some sort of composite or fiberglass-like material I think. Maybe using fiberglass cloth over it would work. I don't know.

Standard glues (cyanoacrylates or methyl methacrylates - "Krazy glue") don't seem to hold very well, unless maybe it is reenforced with another backing - but what what backing material would be best to use for this? I've had limited experience with some epoxy resins.

Ideas?

Marc
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2017 | 02:28 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

my idea was take those trim pieces off the targa.
makes more light and space, less rattles,
and you can see more of the rube goldberg contraption that it is.
Old 09-13-2017 | 03:21 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jago
my idea was take those trim pieces off the targa.
makes more light and space, less rattles,
and you can see more of the rube goldberg contraption that it is.
Well, I don't find those pieces particularly heavy - it's more the sound absorbing material that used in the rear deck panel that is bulky and heavy. To each his own.

But I actually find that if you replace the deteriorating foam underneath, you'll find the rattles go away. Just redid someone's top this weekend - says he drove over 100 mph on his trip back to New Mexico and there were no rattles or wind noise. When the system is done right, it actually works nicely.
The following users liked this post:
Enevs1 (04-26-2021)
Old 09-13-2017 | 04:39 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Hey Marc - I notice in that image that the black sliding pieces are missing and there seems to be a big glob of black glue in place of the front one.

Those pieces are (or where) available new and are fairly inexpensive - part number 993.562.733.00. Also, there's a TSB that talks about installing them not with glue, but with a couple screws of some sort.

This might be old news to you, but if not, let me know and I can dig up the official info.
Old 09-13-2017 | 06:08 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

I've had a lot of success repairing plastic bits in the car with Oatey ABS plastic cement.
Old 09-13-2017 | 06:21 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpruden
Hey Marc - I notice in that image that the black sliding pieces are missing and there seems to be a big glob of black glue in place of the front one.

Those pieces are (or where) available new and are fairly inexpensive - part number 993.562.733.00. Also, there's a TSB that talks about installing them not with glue, but with a couple screws of some sort.

This might be old news to you, but if not, let me know and I can dig up the official info.

Sorry, but that's not my problem. I actually just took this picture from Gavonder's thread from a while back just to show the underside of the trim panels from our targas as an example. I know about the replacement clips and how to replace them.

Although I may 3D print some of these and maybe modify your design a bit because they panels can be really a struggle to put them on, even with new clips. Crazy design if you ask me.
Old 09-13-2017 | 11:11 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Well, I don't find those pieces particularly heavy - it's more the sound absorbing material that used in the rear deck panel that is bulky and heavy. To each his own.

But I actually find that if you replace the deteriorating foam underneath, you'll find the rattles go away. Just redid someone's top this weekend - says he drove over 100 mph on his trip back to New Mexico and there were no rattles or wind noise. When the system is done right, it actually works nicely.
that's a good idea to check back there , i'll do it in the offseason myself. btw re removing the side trim, i didn't mean 'light' as in weight , but visually it opens the view more. plus they're dust collectors as one can see when looking into the open top.
Old 09-14-2017 | 09:03 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

I've had the same experience as Foxman. That ABS cement works wonders.

To test a material, scrape off some very small pieces of the material and see if it will soften and start to dissolve in acetone. If so, ABS cement should work on it.
Old 09-15-2017 | 05:45 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foxman
I've had a lot of success repairing plastic bits in the car with Oatey ABS plastic cement.
I've had the same experience as Foxman. That ABS cement works wonders.

To test a material, scrape off some very small pieces of the material and see if it will soften and start to dissolve in acetone. If so, ABS cement should work on it.

Okay guys, sounds like a good suggestion. I'll let you know how the project goes. Now I just need to find some additional backing that serves as a secondary splint for broken areas. Perhaps I need to purchase some 1/4" thick ABS sheets somewhere - wish they sold them locally in a hardware store, but never seems to find anything.

Marc
Old 09-15-2017 | 05:52 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Okay guys, sounds like a good suggestion. I'll let you know how the project goes. Now I just need to find some additional backing that serves as a secondary splint for broken areas. Perhaps I need to purchase some 1/4" thick ABS sheets somewhere - wish they sold them locally in a hardware store, but never seems to find anything.

Marc
I've used black ABS putty knives from the hardware store. They cost a buck or two and can be cut down into a variety of forms to give additional structure to plastic repairs.
Old 09-15-2017 | 06:23 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

I've used black ABS putty knives from the hardware store. They cost a buck or two and can be cut down into a variety of forms to give additional structure to plastic repairs.

Another good suggestion.

Thanks guys!
Old 09-18-2017 | 02:36 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foxman
I have used this stuff with good results to fuse ABS parts as well. It is not so much a glue as it melts the abs a little and the parts fuse together.
Old 09-18-2017 | 02:39 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You can probably slice some plastic off some ABS plumbing parts from a Home improvement store.
Old 09-18-2017 | 02:55 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
I have used this stuff with good results to fuse ABS parts as well. It is not so much a glue as it melts the abs a little and the parts fuse together.
Yup, here's an example of a recent repair.
Old 09-18-2017 | 04:12 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Very cool guys. Good ideas.

Just wish that someplace like Home Depot sold sheets of ABS. But the ABS putty knife as an alternative is something I didn't think of. I'll look next time.

Marc

Quick Reply: How to repair trim panel backing.