Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unawareness/Sloppiness at Sears Point

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:43 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 81 Posts

The PRC doesn't control who gets NASA licenses. We do have a bit of a screening process. We can do a little more in this regard because of our relationship with NASA and our small "umbrella."

Again, we are not a sanctioning body, just a group of like-minded enthusiasts in a non-profit organization.

NASA is on top of this... post #114 may provide some insight if I hypothesize.

If you look at how that car classed itself, it is GTS4, so it wasn't even in a PRC class. NASA region is listed as Florida.

I suspect that the driver(s) don't have an IMSA license as is assumed in this thread. The other two factory car guys that joined the group were out at Sears Point today running under IMSA sanction, but just because this white car was a factory car doesn't mean it was an IMSA car, et cetera.

In past racing rules related threads about driver conduct and passing et cetera, I have encouraged folks in these forums to download and read our rules, and I think some have even been posted. We take them seriously.

And NASA take things seriously too.

My experience around that white car was limited to the race start on Saturday. Not an overt violation, but a questionable start. That is why I said something to our race steward/race director.

I encourage folks not to paint all folks driving factory iron with the same brush.

In this case, we may never get told what happened or who was in teh car, or what NASA hands out as judgement. We WILL know what the PRC hands out as judgement... well we kind of already know.

Love that Miata... hope to meet the driver and see the car in person at our October event at Sears Point. Looks like Tony and Joe have had their hands on it. Maybe the driver is a Trackjunkie?

Curious about those Hoosiers...

Everyone should always remember how difficult it is to communicate subtleties in forums.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:47 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 801 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Sheesh, Scott. Paranoid, much? Certain Frank was not aiming at you...

PCA Club Racing does on the East Coast, for sure. Everyone has "the talk with Susan Shire," goes through Rookie Orientation, is observed, has their car marked and races provisionally for two weekends.

NASA Mid-Atlantic and NASA Southeast do. I get calls weekly asking if I've observed someone or will vouch for someone.

BMWCCA Club Racing is insanely careful. Minimum time on track, must do THEIR school with LOTS of references and again, Fran Hughes would NEVER let any squirrel into that program.

HSR and SVRA are pretty stringent, VARA has a school.

Your last three sentences ARE you talking out of your ***. Quit now, while people are still complimenting you on your driving...
I am not talking out my ***.

Were are not talking new racers here. These are people with licenses from organizations which NASA has a reciprocal relationship.

We do the same thing as "the talk with Susan Shire". All racers that have not raced with us go through our orientation before they can race with us. We watch people on track too as they are in a probationary period until the race director is comfortable with their driving.

PCA checks references? They didn't when I called. SCCA didn't ask. Nor did NASA.

Again, sometimes you don't know a squirrel is a squirrel until they do something squirrelly.....especially when it is a reciprocal license situation. But I guess you don't want to accept that.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:47 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
winders would NEVER do a brake tap, there...
Old 09-16-2017, 02:37 AM
Manda Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

Can I get some input on the BMW driver and his driving? Was he holding his line? Moving from left to right into the middle to get around the turn? Perfect position on the left? And he was holding tight inside ?

I read all the 160 posts and only a couple mention the BMW.

I'm thinking of club racing again but I'm "More than a little rusty." Said Dave Rey (?) from HOD.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:47 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 801 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Manda Racing
Can I get some input on the BMW driver and his driving? Was he holding his line? Moving from left to right into the middle to get around the turn? Perfect position on the left? And he was holding tight inside ?

I'm thinking of club racing again but I'm "More than a little rusty." Said Dave Rey (?) from HOD.
The BMW driver was indeed deliberately moving to the right to, I assume, get a better line into turn 1. When contact was made, there was just a little more than car width between me in the yellow car and the BMW that was hit.

I am sure that fact will open a whole 'nother can of worms here.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:28 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
You are talking out of you *** now. Get some experience BEFORE you start talking like you know it all....
Originally Posted by dgrobs
I know very little compared to all of you concerning racing.
I know that.
And you're right, I should stick to DE for now. If I don't understand what I saw in that video, then maybe racing is not my thing.
Thanks for the advice.
Sorry I upset you. A know it all is the last thing I am. Sorry.
It's possible that you know less than Winders about racing but it's clear you know much more about being a good human being, engaging in healthy dialogue and and someone many of us would welcome to see in the track.
You don't need to apologize at all..your comments were constructive and seeking to understand. Keep it up.
Don't let Winders' consistent pattern of contending for Jerk of the Week deter you furthering your passion for the track.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:53 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Manda Racing

The BMW driver is a well known local who runs a clean race. He was on his way to the NASA nationals at thunder hill next month. He was in first place in that race (class) and was leading in points for the season.

I don't see anything with his line that would indicate he intentionally pinched off the 69 driver.

This one lays squarely on the shoulders of the cup car. That move was just one of many bad moves by the driver in the race.

Last edited by MarinS4; 09-16-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:49 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 201 Posts

So the yellow car stated hemoved to far right to allow mr 69 to pass -so begs the question did you lift off the gas ie your car slowed down? Mr 69 was very close to your rear bumper when he made the pass. Mike
Old 09-16-2017, 03:21 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by stujelly
I have no horse in the race, so dont burn me at the stake, but I ask a simple question

what if the guy in the white cup car came over and apologized to the bmw driver and admitted he didnt see him or thought he had him cleared and was very sorry.

Wouldnt that make him less of a DB??
Nope. Nothing changes the fact that his race suit is too tight.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:10 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mr965
Nope. Nothing changes the fact that his race suit is too tight.
He looks like an overstuffed burrito
Old 09-16-2017, 07:23 PM
987part
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Lmao
Old 09-16-2017, 08:33 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,733 Posts

Hey, I resemble that remark (although not the on-track and off-track behavior)!

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-16-2017, 11:45 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

Old 09-17-2017, 02:08 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4
That's my little Miata!

That 69 car was HORRIBLE. His best time was a 1:51, Driver damn near took me out at the start of the race.

The BWW he took out belongs to Shawn Webster. He broke 2 ribs from the crash. If any of you want to help the driver with info etc contact Tim at TFB.
i dont get it.... i saw him in your race struggling, a 1:51, but then with winders, he runs a 1:40??????????whats up, was he scrubbing tires?
Old 09-17-2017, 02:21 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Mike, did you even read what i wrote? (please read it again!) I raced with PRC at the inception born out of the chariot racing series, and then the Porsche BMW challenge, where we all ran under NASA as i said, but there was some control of the race group that PRC has regarding qualifications and behavior. So dont go high and mighty on me. where am i "wrong"??? PCR might not be a sanctioning body (never said this) nor issue licenses but they act like one under the NASA umbrella (as was said) as winders said ,

We do have clear rules/guidelines for on track behavior and we enforce them, period. If the incident had occurred on Saturday, he would not have been driving with us on Sunday
this means that PRC acts like a sanctioning body. they choose how racers act on the track, as well as who can race with them. sounds very similar, no?

what i said was absolutely true, so please tell me how it isnt! i was only suggesting, that PRC issue a novice license for their subgroup in NASA events. I think NASA even gives people novice licenses. Either way, it was a suggestion to help new drivers to the group to have to be more careful as they will be watched more carefully and judged. It might prevent this kind of careless behavior as i suggested.

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
I still see a lot of speculation in this thread. Y'all should stop that.

Winders and I WERE THERE, and IN THAT RACE. We have been racing with PRC for years.

I helped create the PRC.

Mark Kibort, you are wrong. PRC does NOT issue licenses and ARE NOT a sanctioning body. We ALL have to have a NASA license. Many of us have or have had PCA and or SCCA licenses as well. And we don't just let anybody run with us.

I have been driving in NASA NorCal events since about 1997. I have been racing in these events since around that time. NASA started here in NorCal. I know many of the people that run NASA. My wife has a card that says NASA official.

What happened last weekend has nothing to do with NASA or PRC, it has to do with the driver of that white car. Still don't know much about that person... may not have even been the person that sat down with our steward to go over our rules with the other factory car drivers on Saturday.

I just got back from Sears Point 10 minutes ago.

I looked for that car and driver but I did not see him or the car. But of course he could be in a different car.

I am pretty sure I saw the other two GT3 cars there, and if it was them, the crew/team members were pretty quiet and looked at their shoes... I asked if they had been there last weekend.

In the lunch line I ran into a gaggle of IMSA officials and I mentioned what happened last weekend. They did not know about it, but I'd bet that some of them will get on the 'net and watch the video tonight.

Let NASA handle this.

Don't assume that NASA or the PRC could have done anything to prevent this.

Please don't go off the deep end.
Originally Posted by mark kibort
SCCA gives you a provisional and sees how you do, only after passing a test weekend, OR proving you have some racing experience worthy of getting a license
POC/PCA i think does the same thing. you submit a resume and they give you a rookie license
PRC, however, just allows them to run.. maybe this was the problem. maybe they need a more temporary license so that the driver is not inclined to push his limits the first day out . im a big believer in the provisional license with the idea and process of letting the prospective rookie KNOW that he is being watched. if he isnt, this accident as shown in the video is more likely to happen.
IMHO

Quick Reply: Unawareness/Sloppiness at Sears Point