Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'88 Slantnose Cab pre-sale pricing inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 02:55 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 477 Posts
Default '88 Slantnose Cab pre-sale pricing inquiry

Fellow Rennlisters, seeking some pre-sale advice on behalf of my friend and mechanic. My mechanic is a brilliant, but low-key, air-cooled technician, and is sitting on a 1 of 1, paint to sample '88 turbo slantnose cab. He is nearing the point where he's ready to sell, and I'm trying to help him determine the best venue for sale, and potential pricing range.

I wont go into too much detail here, other than to say that it is a no-stories, matching numbers, original, paint to sample car. Roughly 30,000 miles. $100k in receipts, meticulously maintained, and literally never driven. Full binder of receipts and records, as you would expect, and no detracting history. The factor that I am intrigued by, is that the original owner and seller was Reggie Jackson.

That fact is probably meaningless to the large majority of us, but may be of value to folks with an interest in Porsche and baseball (which is definitely not me).

So, on his behalf, I would welcome your thoughts on initial pricing, and the best forum for a sale. Seems that pricing for a factory, perfect M505 has softened a bit lately, but I'm thinking $200k +. BaT would be a safe route with a reserve, but RL might be a better choice. A few iPhone pics follow. Thoughts, advice, well-meaning criticisms are all welcome. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:02 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 378 Posts

Take it to auction at Amelia Island in March. How many of those did they make? I am thinking around 10 so pricing is difficult. I think you are in the ballpark if it is all original and no stories but the market on those is a little soft so it might not bring that much. Looks like a nice car.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:15 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Take it to auction at Amelia Island in March. How many of those did they make? I am thinking around 10 so pricing is difficult. I think you are in the ballpark if it is all original and no stories but the market on those is a little soft so it might not bring that much. Looks like a nice car.
Thanks, Dan. He is trying to avoid travel and/or broker's fees. They made about 500-600 slantnose cabs. I think he'd be happy with anything over $200, but the celebrity ownership is the wild card.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 56 Posts

I have been looking at an 89 slant nose/ cab locally - has been sitting for sale for quite a while @ 155K

I sense the market for impact bumper cars is starting to soften. Your friends car looks awesome, GLWS
Old 09-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 56 Posts

Did you see this one listed here in classifieds?

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...slantnose.html

Wish it didn't have the wood trim, not my taste, kind of Miami vice.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:33 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speedster911
Did you see this one listed here in classifieds?

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...slantnose.html

Wish it didn't have the wood trim, not my taste, kind of Miami vice.
I did see that one. Was surprised that it was listed under $200. Gorgeous car, but I agree on the wood trim. Just doesn't work for me. I'm actually not really a slantnose fan aside from the 964 Flachbau. But I can appreciate the rarity.

Quick Reply: '88 Slantnose Cab pre-sale pricing inquiry