Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 01:08 PM
whoddoo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door Panels Replaced

Originally Posted by auchenberg
Hi,

I just picked up a 2014 991 CS, certified-preowned, and today I noticed that the top of the door interior on the drivers side has started to come loose.

Searching the forum it seems like I'm not alone with the issue.

Anyone who have had it covered under the CPO? I don't wanna look like a fool at the dealer.

Just had both of mine replaced under CPO warranty. A known issue that Porsche should not give you any problem with. Lucky I live in OC and the panels were to the dealer 2 days after I talked with my SA.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:13 PM
pcarmanwithans
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoddoo, I'm in OC too. We'll see how they treat me with no warranty on hand.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:17 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,199 Likes on 722 Posts

To be fair to everyone, Porsche should do a recall for this obviously faulty piece.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:14 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarmanwithans
Whoddoo, I'm in OC too. We'll see how they treat me with no warranty on hand.
It's got less to do with the OC than it does which type of door panel you have. Bog standard is quick. A special color with a special insert would leave you SOL waiting from the slowboat from Germany ;-)
I did not get to check the part # of initial and replacement... I'm concerned that it'll reappear in 3-4 years (i am planning to keep this car). Honestly even my new panels feel like you can push down a them a bit, already...
Still, so far all the 991 issues beat an IMS bearing failure ;-)
Old 08-31-2017, 03:01 PM
pcarmanwithans
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are standard black with no upgrades. Bose speakers. I plan on keeping mine too for the longer haul. I do need to know if these cards are improved.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:01 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

To everyone who got their door panel replaced due to lifting. How extensive was it? Mine is starting to lift and was denied by my dealership. I still think for a car that is six figures, this shouldn't be an issue.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:09 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Mine was visible more from the middle than the end - it had "lift" in the middle. I think the replacement is largely a dealer judgement call. I have one dealer near me that would have likely declined it, hence why I don't go there anymore. More than other manufacturers I have dealt with, there is a WIDE range between experiences at dealerships. Best of luck.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:13 PM
mikex25

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
Mine was visible more from the middle than the end - it had "lift" in the middle. I think the replacement is largely a dealer judgement call. I have one dealer near me that would have likely declined it, hence why I don't go there anymore. More than other manufacturers I have dealt with, there is a WIDE range between experiences at dealerships. Best of luck.
thanks for the info and the dealer even admitted it is slightly lifted but didn't think Porsche NA would approve of it. I guess it's time to switch dealers, don't think I wanna give business to a dealer who won't help me out.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:25 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm.. I can argue that both ways...

- Your pic shows barely any lift, to be honest... Yes the corner is detached but it's still flat... Mine was pretty bad from the center, you could see the whole panel was no longer a straight line, bridge like ! it was climbing 1 to 1.5 cm on the window. From outside the car it looked really bad - you could see the innards of the door ! Also, the new panel I now have doesn't look *that* much better than yours currently does... (I'm not even sure the new panels have newer/better glue or simply have not cured in the sun for years and we will have the same problem in 3 more years)

- On the other hand? PCNA what ? The advisor asked me questions, entered responses on a computer program which determined a % of coverage... Took a few pics too, for PCNA possibly.. But never was this sent and approved to PCNA, it was an *immediate* response of "yes Porsche will cover 83%"... So I think it's up to your dealer, try another, although your panel looks pretty decent to me (I suppose you could pull on it and see, but then if you fail in your attempt, you are worse off)...
Old 09-06-2017, 03:40 PM
mikex25

Originally Posted by GregD
Hmm.. I can argue that both ways...

- Your pic shows barely any lift, to be honest... Yes the corner is detached but it's still flat... Mine was pretty bad from the center, you could see the whole panel was no longer a straight line, bridge like ! it was climbing 1 to 1.5 cm on the window. From outside the car it looked really bad - you could see the innards of the door ! Also, the new panel I now have doesn't look *that* much better than yours currently does... (I'm not even sure the new panels have newer/better glue or simply have not cured in the sun for years and we will have the same problem in 3 more years)

- On the other hand? PCNA what ? The advisor asked me questions, entered responses on a computer program which determined a % of coverage... Took a few pics too, for PCNA possibly.. But never was this sent and approved to PCNA, it was an *immediate* response of "yes Porsche will cover 83%"... So I think it's up to your dealer, try another, although your panel looks pretty decent to me (I suppose you could pull on it and see, but then if you fail in your attempt, you are worse off)...
i figured mine doesn't look as bad as some of the pictures posted but the dealer said to come back "when" not "if".

The dealer stated PCNA would most likely not pay them back and they would be stuck with that bill. I am confused now by your earlier statement and maybe they just didn't want to do it.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:46 PM
GregD
Racer

Sounds like they took care of it for me first because it was a slam dunk, then submitted to PCNA and got reimbursed ? I have no idea how that works... All I can say is you're still looking OK vs my car and other examples I've seen... The risk in waiting is that the goodwill runs out eventually (like on IMS engines replacements). I'm truly not all that impressed with the new panels either - yeah they are flat but you can push on them and they give a little too, they don't feel like a robust fix... All in all though, it'll do me for a few years.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,199 Likes on 722 Posts

Crazy. Starting to lift and so the issue should be addressed so that it does not get worse. With so many cases like this, it is obvious there is some sort of defect, whether in the glue, the panel, or the installation process. I have had a bunch of cheaper cars that this never ever happened whether baking in the sun or freezing in the cold. Is this what $100K plus buys you after only a few years? Porsche's unwillingness to stand by its product and customer base is as alarming as it is shameful (take note of their unwillingness to admit the stumble issue).
Old 09-06-2017, 03:50 PM
mikex25

Originally Posted by GregD
Sounds like they took care of it for me first because it was a slam dunk, then submitted to PCNA and got reimbursed ? I have no idea how that works... All I can say is you're still looking OK vs my car and other examples I've seen... The risk in waiting is that the goodwill runs out eventually (like on IMS engines replacements). I'm truly not all that impressed with the new panels either - yeah they are flat but you can push on them and they give a little too, they don't feel like a robust fix... All in all though, it'll do me for a few years.
mine has that squishy feeling at the top and for a car that cost $100,000 + it is pretty unacceptable. Wish I got full leather now since this isn't an on going problem.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:55 PM
mikex25

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Crazy. Starting to lift and so the issue should be addressed so that it does not get worse. With so many cases like this, it is obvious there is some sort of defect, whether in the glue, the panel, or the installation process. I have had a bunch of cheaper cars that this never ever happened whether baking in the sun or freezing in the cold. Is this what $100K plus buys you after only a few years? Porsche's unwillingness to stand by its product and customer base is as alarming as it is shameful (take note of their unwillingness to admit the stumble issue).
this is exactly how I feel. While the extent of this isn't as bad as some, but having to swallow the fact we spent our hard earned money for an imperfect car due to a factory defect is beyond me.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:00 PM
GregD
Racer

Originally Posted by mikex25
this is exactly how I feel. While the extent of this isn't as bad as some, but having to swallow the fact we spent our hard earned money for an imperfect car due to a factory defect is beyond me.
It's nothing new guys (though I totally agree with you). I'm honestly shocked they did this for me and covered most of it (out of warranty no less).
I was banging on them that my 1972 911 has perfect door panel tops - and they've seen it before... Porsche is notoriously bad at admitting they used substandard parts (COV anyone?)... 987 era cars both get wet doro panel bottooms in the rain too, and that handle snaps often...

Quick Reply: 991 Door interior coming loose?