Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a Wild Hair

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 06:40 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Observation: yellow calipers really draws your eyes to them. Is that what you want?
Old 09-03-2017, 06:45 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pipes
Observation: yellow calipers really draws your eyes to them. Is that what you want?
Nope, I wish you could get PCCB's with red calipers. Come on Porsche!! Shoot, even on a Corvette you can get the calipers in different colors.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:57 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flickroll
OK, I have not given up on PCCB's quite yet because I like what they have to offer for street use. The interior of my car is black leather with CF trim, and deviated stitching in GT Silver, black dials and black seat belts. Classy and not flashy. So looking for opinions on the rendering in this post. One option would be to leave the calipers yellow, another is to paint them CR, but I'd rather not paint them. Ferrari's use this combo and it looks great, but then this is not a Ferrari! Freeze for this order may be as early as mid week this week. Thanks

Here's the deal. I am about as **** as they come keeping my car clean. That is a big reason why I got rid of the JBM 991.1 Cab. It was eating my lunch keeping it clean to my standards. Additionally, wash a car with steel rotors, and it slings rusty water on the barrels of the newly cleaned wheels. Drove me nuts. So yes, I am willing to pay the cash for PCCB's in an effort to keep the wheels mostly dust free, and for a lot easier job when washing, which I do at least weekly, more if I'm driving a lot. But in the process I don't want to detract from what I think is a sharp car, a CR GTS Coupe. So I have a quandary and in this case and there is not easy answer. Many or maybe even most you might think I am nuts for paying for PCCB's for the reasons I stated. But that's the main reason, although other performance attributes certainly come into play for me.

Last edited by flickroll; 09-03-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

My advice would be to go with silver wheels instead of the overused black wheels, the yellow calipers won't stand out and clash so much.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:05 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dewinator
My advice would be to go with silver wheels instead of the overused black wheels, the yellow calipers won't stand out and clash so much.
Thanks. That is a possibility after I receive the car. I do like CL's so black is the only choice in the configurator. But they can be painted which I may do, likely Platinum Satin. Or get some other wheels once I have the car. I really like the 911 GT2 RS Wheels but they seem scarce and the offsets are probably all wrong anyway.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:21 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

I say go for it. If you tire of the yellow, you can always have them painted and still have the dust freedom that you desire.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:26 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

OK, I have not given up on PCCB's quite yet because I like what they have to offer for street use. The interior of my car is black leather with CF trim, and deviated stitching in GT Silver, black dials and black seat belts. Classy and not flashy. So looking for opinions on the rendering in this post. One option would be to leave the calipers yellow, another is to paint them CR, but I'd rather not paint them. Ferrari's use this combo and it looks great, but then this is not a Ferrari! Freeze for this order may be as early as mid week this week. Thanks

As badly as I want PCCB's I've come to the conclusion the yellow calipers on a Carmine Red GTS is probably not a good idea. Oh well. Still a few more days to think about it but likely not happening. Wish calipers were available in other colors for Ceramics.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:09 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Well, have not given up on the PCCB's. Here is a GT3 and a GT4 in Carmine Red, Black Wheels, and PCCB's. I think they look fine, but then maybe my opinion has become off because I want the PCCB's so much. Starting to lean with what Al.Fresco said, go for it, and then if it does not look right paint the calipers.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:30 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 548 Likes on 207 Posts

Here's the deal. I am about as **** as they come keeping my car clean. That is a big reason why I got rid of the JBM 991.1 Cab. It was eating my lunch keeping it clean to my standards. Additionally, wash a car with steel rotors, and it slings rusty water on the barrels of the newly cleaned wheels. Drove me nuts. So yes, I am willing to pay the cash for PCCB's in an effort to keep the wheels mostly dust free, and for a lot easier job when washing, which I do at least weekly, more if I'm driving a lot. But in the process I don't want to detract from what I think is a sharp car, a CR GTS Coupe. So I have a quandary and in this case and there is not easy answer. Many or maybe even most you might think I am nuts for paying for PCCB's for the reasons I stated. But that's the main reason, although other performance attributes certainly come into play for me.
Yes you are nuts. It is a CAR, it is meant to get used and get dirty. The only way to keep it perfect is too put a poster of it in your room. All kidding aside, whoever gets your car next should be happy you took such care of it for him, although don't expect extraordinarily prices when it is time for you to sell.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KenTO
Yes you are nuts.
My wife tells me the same. At least two people are in agreement

Having said that there are some other nutty ones on RL, who just like me said they would choose PCCB's for the brake dust problem alone. You'll find one well known one on the HFS thread.

Last edited by flickroll; 09-05-2017 at 02:27 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:22 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

The handful of GT4 that were ordered that way looked great. Although I'd go for Platinum satin wheels instead of black, and skip yellow belts and gauges. Stitching and PCCBs is plenty of yellow.
I had a similar issue when I bought my 981 Spyder.....white, classic Spyder interior (red and black) black wheels, and PCCBS. Too many colors, I thought. I opted to paint wheels silver instead of paint calipers red. Car looks great...... IMO of course. Gets lots of compliments. People who know Porsches appreciate PCCBS for what they are. They stand alone, and kind of work with any color.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:59 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Selo
The handful of GT4 that were ordered that way looked great. Although I'd go for Platinum satin wheels instead of black, and skip yellow belts and gauges. Stitching and PCCBs is plenty of yellow.
I had a similar issue when I bought my 981 Spyder.....white, classic Spyder interior (red and black) black wheels, and PCCBS. Too many colors, I thought. I opted to paint wheels silver instead of paint calipers red. Car looks great...... IMO of course. Gets lots of compliments. People who know Porsches appreciate PCCBS for what they are. They stand alone, and kind of work with any color.
Thanks for your reply Selo. I have reached a final decision on the brakes, I am going to order the PCCB's, and will do that when I get back in town after Labor Day. The rest of the car will remain mostly the same, GT Silver deviated stitching, Carbon Fiber interior trim, Carmine Red exterior. Have not quite decided what to do with the wheels. Either paint the outside of the satin black wheels that come on the car Platinum Silver, leaving the barrel Satin Black, or buy Turbo S wheels:

Either wheel option will soften the yellow PCCB's on the Carmine Red GTS. Leaning towards the Turbo S wheels, but I have time what to deal with that. Having said that, painting the existing wheels Platinum Silver will be lots less $$. I have also decided that I will not paint the calipers. Properly done with the wheels, the yellow calipers will look great. I do think that yellow calipers on stock Satin Black wheels might be too much, so a wheel mod is in order.

Last edited by flickroll; 09-05-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:40 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Gotta love Porsche. Want to paint your car in hideous baby blue with painted ugly trim panels to match? "Step right this way sir."

Want to spec a GTS without the ugly black wheels? "Go f*** yourself!"
Old 09-05-2017, 12:59 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Want to spec a GTS without the ugly black wheels? "Go f*** yourself!"
No joke. I almost backed away from the GTS because of the 'my way or the highway' black wheels. Now I have a plan, but it's going to take work and cash on my part to get the look I want. Thank you Porsche. This could have been really easy.

Another plan I just came up with is to paint the exterior of the black wheels GT Silver. Deviated stitching in GT Silver, so why not? Need to think on this one...
Old 09-05-2017, 01:16 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Here's what I'm thinking for my GTS. Just won't have the black hole in the rear fender like the Turbo has. The little bit of yellow w/red on the center lock caps helps with the look. I think this looks great, but then that's just me.

Last edited by flickroll; 09-05-2017 at 01:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Had a Wild Hair