Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had a Wild Hair

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:59 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I went through a similar process with mine as I really liked the RS Spyder wheels but the factory wouldn’t fit them new, so the dealer would have had to do it.

In the end, with a bit of misgiving, I went for the black centre locks but having lived with them for a while, I have to say they really suit the car. Also, not that difficult to clean and they don’t look dirty even when they are, so a bit of a result in that department.

I do agree that Porsche are a bit odd in that you can specify a metallic orange car with purple seats, green belts and lizard skin on the dash but not choose one of their perfectly good looking wheel sets...
Old 09-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the first spec with pccb and black wheels, but not so on the second. I think the carmine red matches very well with darker color of wheels. The yellow caliper from the pccb looks awesome too.

With the first spec, you will have good time keeping the car and wheels spotless clean. The silver wheel gets dirty quick and any scuffs on it is visible.

It's your car, but if I were you, I would go with first spec.

PF
Old 09-05-2017, 08:00 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
I like the first spec with pccb and black wheels, but not so on the second. I think the carmine red matches very well with darker color of wheels. The yellow caliper from the pccb looks awesome too.

With the first spec, you will have good time keeping the car and wheels spotless clean. The silver wheel gets dirty quick and any scuffs on it is visible.

PF
Thanks for the feedback, that's why I posted to begin with. I think what I will likely do is spec PCCB's and take delivery with the black wheels. If it looks wrong I can soften the look with a wheel change. But I'm definitely going with the PCCB's budget buster be damned!
Old 09-06-2017, 12:54 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The silver wheel gets dirty quick and any scuffs on it is visible.
False. Black wheels look dirty all the time. Silver at least look clean after you clean them.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:16 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

False. Black wheels look dirty all the time. Silver at least look clean after you clean them.
As an owner of cars with both silver and black rims, my experience has been much the opposite. Dirt shows straight away on the silver but matt black just carries on being... matt black (unless you’re driving through mud). Certainly you don’t get the immediately obvious build up of brake dust on the black wheels that you do on lighter colour ones.

I find the callipers colour fading is the first indication that the black rims are getting dirty, rather than anything on the wheel itself.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:09 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Just my experience and opinion dude, no need to shoot everyone that doesn't agree with you
Old 09-06-2017, 10:21 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Originally Posted by flickroll
Thanks for the feedback, that's why I posted to begin with. I think what I will likely do is spec PCCB's and take delivery with the black wheels. If it looks wrong I can soften the look with a wheel change. But I'm definitely going with the PCCB's budget buster be damned!
Much welcome man. Definitely get the PCCB even if you have to stretch the budget PCCB is not a must, but strongly recommended.

There plenty of options for wheels.

Please keep us updated when you get your order locked & delivered!

PF
Old 09-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 938 Posts

Porsche used to offer the option to paint brake calipers the color of your choice. I know of at least one 996 C4S owner who opted to have his calipers painted Speed Yellow at the factory, even though they are steel brakes. You might consider mentioning this to your sales associate to determine if it's still possible.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Ed911.2
Instructor

I asked my OPC about calliper painting and he said that they won’t change the the lime green of the hybrid cars because it tells the rescue services that there might be hundreds of volts and lithium batteries on board, before they start cutting you out...

Grey/red/yellow I don’t know, they might still entertain it?
Old 09-10-2017, 12:32 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Deciding whether or not to spec PCCB's was a tough one for me. I really like the things PCCB's have to offer, however yellow calipers on Carmine Red gave me a lot of difficulty. I vacillated all over the place and eventually had the SA add them to the order. But the more I thought about it the more I was worried it would look wrong, and scouring the internet for pictures of CR 911's with PCCB's yielded few hits. There has to be a reason and I concluded it's because most people think it looks wrong. I ultimately came to this conclusion: I would rather have red brake calipers and wish I had opted for yellow PCCB's, than to have yellow PCCB calipers and wish I had red calipers. In other words, to me the risk of a bad choice is higher with yellow calipers than with red calipers when either are combined with Carmine Red. Other colors you can go either way and not risk a color mismatch. So I went back to the SA and said please remove the PCCB's from the order. He said I figured you would decide to do this.

I really do wish Porsche offered a choice in caliper colors. If they had I would have kept the PCCB's. But in the end I just didn't want to risk a beautiful car being diminished by the yellow calipers. So as of now my build is finalized and I have finished agonizing on all of the options I have considered. I'll post the build soon.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:01 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I'm glad to hear you've made up your mind.

If you were searching for Carmine Red and PCCB, I bet you did come up a bit short - but I bet that's because there are so few 911's with PCCBs on any model except the Turbo S.

There's got to be some Carmine Red Turbo S images out there for you to check out.

Disclaimer: I have PCCBs on my C4S and I'd get them again even if they were only offered in purple-orange paisley. Sorry.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:26 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by digits
I'm glad to hear you've made up your mind.

If you were searching for Carmine Red and PCCB, I bet you did come up a bit short - but I bet that's because there are so few 911's with PCCBs on any model except the Turbo S.

There's got to be some Carmine Red Turbo S images out there for you to check out.

Disclaimer: I have PCCBs on my C4S and I'd get them again even if they were only offered in purple-orange paisley. Sorry.
LOL. Yeah that was the difficult part. I know I wanted them, but didn't want to risk a Ronald McDonald's car. I did find a few GT4's, but very few 911's. Tough decision but didn't want to regret it later. Purple-orange paisley would be a very unique 911! All kidding aside, this decision was the most difficult one with the entire build, and I know I am going to miss the things PCCB's have to offer. In any event, right or wrong, not changing the order again! Think my SA would shoot me

Last edited by flickroll; 09-10-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:35 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

LOL. Yeah that was the difficult part. I know I wanted them, but didn't want to risk a Ronald McDonald's car. I did find a few GT4's, but very few 911's. Tough decision but didn't want to regret it later. Purple-orange paisley would be a very unique 911! All kidding aside, this decision was the most difficult one with the entire build, and I know I am going to miss the things PCCB's have to offer. In any event, right or wrong, not changing the order again! Think my DSA would shoot me
Choosing form over function..... tsk tsk
Old 09-10-2017, 01:17 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

PF

Black wheels look MUCH better in my opinion. If it were mine, I would paint the calipers black and have the Porsche script painted yellow (nod to PCCB) or red (my preference and it would keep folks guessing), whichever you prefer. Black gauges, seatbelts sound perfect too. Deviated stitching is overdone these days but I would think a nice understated dash/door line stitching in red would be perfect, black stitching everywhere else.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:44 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I think you made a good choice. Also I love the GTS center lock wheels in black. I personally think that's one of the best cool features of the GTS.

Quick Reply: Had a Wild Hair