Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 clutch options and minor rantish

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 03:31 PM
autocomman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 clutch options and minor rantish

To the point first then my venting a bit, and Id love opinions to be shared. So i did a quick look for a clutch kit or this car, 86 951. The car is stock but holy crap 950$ for a Sachs clutch kit? Paragon seems to has one for $650. There is Sachs, then there is Cup HD, what are the differences? What are the recommendations?

This is grandmas car. Shes had the car since new, and I learned to drive stick in it, so its sorta special to me and my bro. Grandma wont be driving anymore and im taking care of things that ive put off for a while, low boost issue and a fuel leak that just started. TO make a long story short its getting a new wiring harness, battery and alternator cables, fuel pressure regulators, a waterpump and timing belts, T-belt covers, all the engine sensors.

Its a one owner car a hasnt been abused, but its got a little rash in places from being driven buy a 90 year old. The seats have minor tears, but they are not destroyed by any means, sun roof needs to be repaired, original speakers are toast, carpet on the drivers kick panel is coming apart, front rotors are warped and the worst offender is the clutch. The car hasnt been abused or neglected really but its the mushroom factor, the deeper I go the more parts im finding are just old and done, it is a 31 year old german car.

So im 2 hours from having the engine on the ground if I wanted to for a clutch. The clutch pedal will vibrate hard under my foot but only sometimes so the throw out is getting cocked funny or something when the pedal is pressed and the pedal is stiff. The kicker is when Im done with it all the car wont be driven much more and probably sold. It would be an easier sell with everything done, but I would probably break even after the insane price of parts for some of this stuff, but i want to do right by the car. im torn. I want maximum return and being this far into the engine compartment yanking it to do the clutch and seals on the air oil separator is a no brainier as opposed to pulling the trans and torque tube, unless im missing something...SO yeah thoughts, opinions? id love to hear your thoughts!
Old 09-03-2017, 08:20 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

you wont know until you get it all apart but the flywheel and pressure plate might be good to reuse.
have them machined to new flat surface for probably $30 each...your local autozone/oreilly might even do it.

the disc you can have relined, look around your area for a clutch and brake shop (typically in areas where big rig trucks go for service), probably get you out the door for $100.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:46 AM
dionphaneuf
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently spent a few hundred bucks patching up a motorcycle I needed to sell before getting it out the door. At the price point I was at, no buyers noticed what I did (spark plugs, clean chain, headlights, oil change, etc), so it wasn't worth it. On a car like this though, it could be. Without seeing pics of the car, it's hard to say what the right approach is. If it really is a grandma car and is lowish mileage with an in tact dash (no cracks), good aesthetics, and solid mechanicals (once you get through it), I'd be tempted to hold it for a bit, enjoy it, and slowly work my way through the smaller stuff like speakers, seats, and interior. 951s are sweet and values keep going up, so in a few years it could be worth $20k+.

If you can't keep it or don't have the time/effort to do the above, I'd be tempted to sell it as is, but maybe do the clutch. Selling it now, in not perfect condition, means you won't get the money you would need to put in on the other stuff back. Even the clutch is arguable, although on the 951s its such a hassle buyers may be scared off. Swallow your pride and try to find some youngster with more time and less wisdom than you, hopefully one that'll give it a good home and bring it back to total glory.

BTW your Grandma sounds awesome.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:25 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

I just got this, good for 650nm says Sachs.

What is the daily use and power in the car?

The pressureplate and flywheel is almost reuse everytime.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:28 PM
autocomman
Advanced

Yeah I talked to dad, hes the one that asked at this point is it easier to take the motor out to do the rest of teh work and its funny cause I wasnt even in that mindset. Thats why I was like, well its 2 hours from being on the ground and then I can do the clutch. There is a place near me called action clutch, they are amazing and priced very well. Ive had em do clutches for me on volvos and whatnot, they do al lot of VW stuff and all kindsa things. Last volvo clutch they did was a sachs reline and it cost 90$ to do resurface the PP and flywheel and check the PP diaphragm and all that jazz. So thats the route im gonna go. New throw out bearing and ill take a good look at the release bearing guide tube and all that. Any other wear items in there? The pin and pivot points? Fork?

This way I can also do the seals on the oil separator and what ever else is leaking and have sound mind that it will be dry. The dash cracked like 18 years ago and had a cap put on it, it looks pretty decent so im not gonna mess with it. Ill fix the sunroof and look into getting the body work touched up, the stuff that really needs it. It wont get a full respray but If i can take care if its major issues it wont be too bad. Then get a set of seat covers. Still a great lookin car, I love driving it, and its just got a good look. For me though ive got a 59 bug eye sprite, a 73 mini for the wife, a Fiat X19 for mom and an LS swapped olds wagon for dad, with the wood grain! So as much as Id like to hold on to this one, it will end up being sold Ive got enough projects. But I can have the confidence that everything will be right.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:27 PM
dionphaneuf
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great to hear - always good to hear someone doing right by these cars. They are a tad complicated and expensive to maintain at times, but when properly taken care of are amazing.

That sounds like quite the stable! Love the diversity - British, Italian, German, and American. Sounds like you've even had some Swedish in your life.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:42 AM
autocomman
Advanced

Oh yeah, I was a brick nut for 15 years...started with a 765 turbo then went to the 240s, had I think 9 over the years. The 242 I had I did all up too, 2.5l stroker, t3/t4 turbo, megasquirted, adjustable everything in the suspension, coilvers, ford t5 trans, R sport cluster and steering wheel, GT interior panels, kept the flat hood but did an 86+ Ecode front end with the Australian grill so it all matched properly, factory manual sunroof I found a dealer upgrade power kit for, dealer factory power windows, keyless entry. Was a great car, but the one I truly miss was the 245 I had that I turned into a truck. It was rough and not finished when I sold it but it was my fav for what ever reason haha.

Yeah im happy with my decision to fix all the stuff on this 951 and make it right. Its easy to let things go and sell a beat up car but making it work right and the way it should be...im pretty jazzed. Just wish I had a few less projects at the moment haha. And yeah, the collection of cars could be a bad joke, but for me its dont be a fanboy. Too many cool things too play with. If I could swing it right now id have a P1800 ES in the driveway too. Ill probable start another thread with all the work to get it in one place at some point.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Maybe it just needs a clutch fork (and the TO bearing is probably pooched). Your disc could be relined or replaced for $150, roloc the flywheel and PP and get back on the road.

You could always offer it for sale as-is, the buyer might want to do a big build and upgrade all that stuff anyway.

-Joel.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:46 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Roloc....

they're for surface conditioning as part of a paint service...NOT for automotive work.
Take the FW and PP to a proper machine shop...
Old 09-07-2017, 09:45 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Kind of sad really that you're not going to keep it. Especially since you had family who owned it for so many years..... sure about that decision ?

Soooo many folks say they wish they had their car back. I feel the same way about 4 of them I should have never sold.

The deal with these clutches is, many of them have them have the original clutch OR the second replacement yet and the springs tend to crack, 'walk about', break and fall out, then get caught up in the mix and grind stuff up. ESPECIALLY on the higher horsepower cars as seen in the '88.2 turbo S and the '89 turbo. Not many make it past the 40,000-50,000 mile point without having an issue with a spring or two going awol.

The throw out bearing should always be replaced as well, and clutch forks are usually suspect as well. Just do them while in there.

And those SACHS clutches are beautiful replacements. Firm, gradual take up, with a really good life span. On several of my normals, and on one of the turbos ( '89 - M030 ), the clutches were replaced shortly before my purchase by the previous owners. SACHS was used. I love 'em. They were expensive to replace, especially the one's that were done at the Porsche Dealership, but am glad I got to reap the benefit and not the expense.

Best wishes with the rebuild. Take your previous owner for a ride or two if she is able. The joy to both of you will be super rewarding since so many memories were made with it and she together for it's life.

Quick Reply: 951 clutch options and minor rantish