Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Buying a SC as a Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 08:30 AM
09mageec
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Not true at all. The snow is gone from the streets almost instantly. I think its' the brine. It rains all winter, as well, so the roads are rinsed off sooner or later. There is literally no need for AWD or even snow tires in the NY/CT winter. I have driven in actual snow once in the last 2-3 years. No need to mothball your car all winter, either. It's a 12 month driving season up here, and my car has never touched a drop of salt. Just wait for rain.
That horrendous treatment the spray on the roads prior to the snow is really stubborn though. Most times it will take a few good downpours to rinse it off completely. If not you still see a white dust on your paint after a short highway trip, I cant imagine how much is coated underneath my e46... (Eastern, Costal CT)
Old 06-05-2017, 09:08 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Winters are simply a lot different everywhere these days.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:16 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Not true at all. The snow is gone from the streets almost instantly.
This is highly regional, but between Brooklyn and Brewster, the streets are clear instantly because the plowing around here is aggressive and immediate...and they put salt and chemicals all over the roads.

The roads are wet and corrosive for at least all of January and February. The sand sticks around almost until may...

As an experiment, count the days between November and March that you would drive an ungalvanized classic. I'm moving out west.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:18 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not true at all. The snow is gone from the streets almost instantly. I think its' the brine. It rains all winter, as well, so the roads are rinsed off sooner or later. There is literally no need for AWD or even snow tires in the NY/CT winter. I have driven in actual snow once in the last 2-3 years. No need to mothball your car all winter, either. It's a 12 month driving season up here, and my car has never touched a drop of salt. Just wait for rain.
Well then apparently climate change has affected the tri-state area more than the rest of the country, because in the 70's and early 80's when I was there, the snow and ice remained on the roads all winter. I'm talking about rural CT, not the streets of Manhattan. YMMV.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Well then apparently climate change has affected the tri-state area more than the rest of the country, because in the 70's and early 80's when I was there, the snow and ice remained on the roads all winter. I'm talking about rural CT, not the streets of Manhattan. YMMV.
Our company is based in Muskegon, MI. Pretty much everyone there has lived there all of their lives. They all say they remember snow on the ground ALL winter. I think 3 of the last 5 years, many haven't spent the $ on the annual snow trail permit for their snowmobiles. I go back a few times a year, and only twice in the last 6 years, I've had to deal with a snow storm. ****'s changing.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:37 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tremelune

The roads are wet and corrosive for at least all of January and February.
The sand sticks around almost until may...

As an experiment, count the days between November and March that you would drive an ungalvanized classic. I'm moving out west.
The roads are wet for 2 entire months? That's totally false. The snow is pushed aside and the roads are completely dry within a day after a snow or rain.

Sand is on the roads all winter? That's totally false. Cars blow sand off the roads almost instantly. They don't even use sand. I have not seen a sandy road in forever.

I'd also say the majority of days b/w November and March have perfectly clean roads.

Maybe it's different in the boroughs.
Suburbs and highways are nothing like what you describe.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:39 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Snow removal has taken quantum leaps since the 1970s
Roads are bone dry often the same day of a massive storm.
It's truly remarkable.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:23 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

She's looking better! Loving driving her!

Old 08-25-2017, 10:25 PM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

She's looking better! Loving driving her!

Old 12-11-2017, 12:15 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Needed winter tires and my Indy had a set and was able to throw in wheels. They are chiffon white and I don’t like for them. I think they look like white out. I’m joking telling myself, they are white so I know they are my snow tires. Not sure I’m up to paying to have them repainted.

Last edited by DoninDen; 12-11-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying a SC as a Daily Driver