Sponsored by:

Seat wrap

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 06:49 AM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Seat wrap

I'm getting ready to get the rear of my front seats wrapped, as my kids over the years have kicked & scratched the backs.
I've seen the 991 which had it done in 3M Di-Noc, not really a fan.
I'm thinking of going for a metallic black wrap - basalt black car - anyone done anything similar?
Old 08-21-2017, 11:12 AM
msingh5649
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ni_Mo
I'm getting ready to get the rear of my front seats wrapped, as my kids over the years have kicked & scratched the backs.
I've seen the 991 which had it done in 3M Di-Noc, not really a fan.
I'm thinking of going for a metallic black wrap - basalt black car - anyone done anything similar?
Didn't even know that one could wrap the seat. Do you have the 'hard shell' backing?
Great idea if doable.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

i have the hard shell backing as well for my seats and am considering wrapping it as im worried if painting it will damage the seats it not not being put back right if leather separated from seat shell before paint
Old 08-22-2017, 12:24 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

I clear PPFd the back of my GT2 carbon buckets. Saved me a few times.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I CF wrapped the 997 adaptive sport seats that are in my 928 Spyder - love the look and protection from kid's feet.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:58 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

I have been thinking about this too. Mine are pretty scratched up by the seat belt location.

Petza.. did you do those yourself?
Old 08-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by platinum997
I have been thinking about this too. Mine are pretty scratched up by the seat belt location.

Petza.. did you do those yourself?
I didn't. I had the vinyl guy from the shop in-town come over after work one day and do them in my garage before I installed them into the car. It was a lot of complex curves, heating, stretching, trimming, etc and I'm glad I left that one to the professionals. It would have been easier if I had removed the side airbags from the seats, but I didn't want to mess with that.

In my silver 997, I did a similar thing when I installed those seats years ago, but only did the large area in the center under the curve. I did that myself by making a template with paper, cutting it out, transferring it to the CF vinyl, cutting the vinyl and applying it. That was fairly easy as that area on the back of the seats is pretty flat and it's the high wear area for kids shoes anyway and has held up well for the 5 years it has been on.

A bit hard to see in this photo, but it's there.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:01 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

It looked complex... Good confirmation that I should sub this out.

Did you pay that dude or was it a favor? Estimated cost would be good. Wrap is cheap, labor is not.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by platinum997
It looked complex... Good confirmation that I should sub this out.

Did you pay that dude or was it a favor? Estimated cost would be good. Wrap is cheap, labor is not.
He was here for about 4 hours, but he's done other vinyl work for me and my wife, our kids go to school together, and he's a talker, so kind of half & half pay/favor. We fed him some pizza and he asked for $40 (I had already bought the vinyl) - I think I gave him $80, so not much help on the cost intel for you.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:23 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Wrapping my GT2 buckets cost me about $200 all in if I recall including labor and the PPF. They even dropped my seats off at my house afterward (Nino from UMBRA in Schaumburg).
Old 08-23-2017, 03:15 AM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Thanks for the reply guys.
I see whoever has done it had the seats out, my guy told me that he can do it with them in the car, but he needs the car all day to complete both the seats.
Originally Posted by nwGTS
I clear PPFd the back of my GT2 carbon buckets. Saved me a few times.
Good thinking nwGTS, might have saved mine but didn't even think of it so many years ago, at least it gives me an excuse to play with colors, maybe!
Originally Posted by Petza914
I CF wrapped the 997 adaptive sport seats that are in my 928 Spyder - love the look and protection from kid's feet.

Pete is that the 3M stuff? I was thinking of possibly going for the 4 or 5D carbon, but the wrapper told me that adhesion isn't that great & he would be worried about lifting.
I'm also 50/50 about going for a metallic black wrap, on a basalt black car, with black leather interior, maybe black overkill
Any ideas from fellow members, I'm not so artsy so don't get the whole color matching and which goes with which etc.
Thanks
Nick
Old 08-23-2017, 07:10 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply guys.
I see whoever has done it had the seats out, my guy told me that he can do it with them in the car, but he needs the car all day to complete both the seats.

Good thinking nwGTS, might have saved mine but didn't even think of it so many years ago, at least it gives me an excuse to play with colors, maybe!

Pete is that the 3M stuff? I was thinking of possibly going for the 4 or 5D carbon, but the wrapper told me that adhesion isn't that great & he would be worried about lifting.
I'm also 50/50 about going for a metallic black wrap, on a basalt black car, with black leather interior, maybe black overkill
Any ideas from fellow members, I'm not so artsy so don't get the whole color matching and which goes with which etc.
Thanks
Nick
Yes, mine is 3M brand. If using a metallic black, then I think it would need to pretty closely match the look of the exterior paint. If not, having s body shop paint the backs to match and then using clear might yield a better overall result. If you have any type of trim in your car (like CF, silver, etc) then matching that would be another way to go so it's all tied together.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:16 PM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Yes, mine is 3M brand. If using a metallic black, then I think it would need to pretty closely match the look of the exterior paint. If not, having s body shop paint the backs to match and then using clear might yield a better overall result. If you have any type of trim in your car (like CF, silver, etc) then matching that would be another way to go so it's all tied together.
No CF & silver is only on the vents, steering wheel and lower section of the gear shift, I had the PCM painted piano black, everything else is leather.
I might go for a metallic silver, or gunmetal, it's not expensive so if I don't like it I could always change it for something different.
I'll get some pics up once I get back home of the color I went for!
Old 08-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No CF & silver is only on the vents, steering wheel and lower section of the gear shift, I had the PCM painted piano black, everything else is leather.
I might go for a metallic silver, or gunmetal, it's not expensive so if I don't like it I could always change it for something different.
I'll get some pics up once I get back home of the color I went for!
Without seeing the pics, I'd say match the piano black or the exterior body color. The OEM finish is already a gunmetal. Metallic silver might be too bright.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:29 PM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Without seeing the pics, I'd say match the piano black or the exterior body color. The OEM finish is already a gunmetal. Metallic silver might be too bright.
I agree about the silver, saw a 996 which had the silver and it was far too bright.
Had seen the matt gunmetal which i quite liked, but until I get some different colored wraps on the seat I wont know.
Also considered yellow & then going for deviated yellow seat belts to try and tie it all together.
Here is a pic of the pcm painted piano black, it's basically a gloss black.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Seat wrap