Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To those with kids and a MT

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:16 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default To those with kids and a MT

I have been thinking that next time I'll go back to a MT as i have a PDK now, but my previous Cayman's were all MT. From my track days i had decided i required a PDK, its just that much better for me, but for driving around town, i think i would much prefer the MT and as its my daily driver, that's what i have been thinking.

All of that said. I was driving around my son and his best friend tonight in the 991, and due to me having to pull my seat forward a bit to make room for them in the back seat, it occurred to me how hard it would be to operate a clutch with any kids using the back seat. Typically, you position yourself so the clutch works well for you and you don't go messing that up much. the PDK really comes to the rescue here and i can just move the wheel way forward and up to compensate for moving the seat up.

Anyone with a MT finding its no big deal to have kids in the back? or is this car only really a 4-seater with a PDK?
Old 08-20-2017, 10:18 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope this doesn't turn into another MT vs PDK thread
Old 08-20-2017, 10:23 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not asking about performance here at all, just never had a MT 911 before so haven't had to try to use a clutch with kids in the back seat (and thus the seat moved forward a bit). Maybe this is a stupid topic, it will probably vary for everyone.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:28 PM
RODOLFO04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You just want a pdk

go ahead and buy it, and don't look for support in here from the MT crowd
Old 08-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Schmed
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

Not really an answer to your question, but I have a manual Cayman R and am a bit hesitant to let my 17 year-old do an HPDE school in it for fear of him missing a downshift and over-revving the engine.

Same fear for my wife doing an HDPE in that car!

For that reason, I think PDK is better.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:51 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I went through this same decision making. I had three cars: A Porsche 981 (6MT), a Toyota RAV4 and a Lexus IS350. I was planning to replace the Lexus with a 2018 911 7MT (which I did). I would only get a Porsche with a Manual.

Since I had the RAV4 (wife's car), I could still use that car but normally she has it all the time so I needed an emergency 4 seater just in case. Took both my boys to the local dealership and borrowed a 991.1 GTS with a manual. First son is 6'4" who sat in the front and the second is 5'8" who sat behind me. I am 5'10". It was a very tight squeeze and me and my youngest were uncomfortable and it was tough to shift with any amount of comfort with my seat moved up......but it was dooable if us guys wanted to go to the movies, dinner by ourselves etc. Definitely not a long trip solution though. I would take your kids to the dealership and see how you fit in.

Now.....to teach them both how to drive a manual!
Old 08-20-2017, 10:53 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It all depends on how big your kids are. My 12-year-old will only sit in the front. My 10-year-old son will only sit in the back. I tend to like the seat up to the front with my knees bent somewhat for the clutch.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:35 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody rides in back. I feel sorry for my gym bag when I have to put it there.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by 99999
I have been thinking that next time I'll go back to a MT as i have a PDK now, but my previous Cayman's were all MT. From my track days i had decided i required a PDK, its just that much better for me, but for driving around town, i think i would much prefer the MT and as its my daily driver, that's what i have been thinking.

All of that said. I was driving around my son and his best friend tonight in the 991, and due to me having to pull my seat forward a bit to make room for them in the back seat, it occurred to me how hard it would be to operate a clutch with any kids using the back seat. Typically, you position yourself so the clutch works well for you and you don't go messing that up much. the PDK really comes to the rescue here and i can just move the wheel way forward and up to compensate for moving the seat up.

Anyone with a MT finding its no big deal to have kids in the back? or is this car only really a 4-seater with a PDK?
I have a 7 year old who is 50" tall and a 10 year old who is 60" tall (yes, he is tall). I have a cab which has slightly less width and less room due to more upright seat backs. I am 6'2" and sit with straight legs.

My 7 year old sits behind me and legs barely clear the driver's seat. My son sits behind my wife (5'10") who sits further forward than I would. Won't be long before they don't fit.

Originally Posted by RODOLFO04
You just want a pdk

go ahead and buy it, and don't look for support in here from the MT crowd
Totally how I read his post.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:13 AM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Just a four seater with PDK. I have a manual and when I'm at my best for heel/toe down shifting my seat is in a perfect position +\- about an inch or less. Can't imagine enjoying a drive if I had to move the seat to accommodate a person in the back seat.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:16 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,196 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmed
Not really an answer to your question, but I have a manual Cayman R and am a bit hesitant to let my 17 year-old do an HPDE school in it for fear of him missing a downshift and over-revving the engine.

Same fear for my wife doing an HDPE in that car!

For that reason, I think PDK is better.
No Question on that. I did a Money-Shift at VIR at T10 in this car in 2002. It was VERY expensive to replace the engine, and took 6 months to get it back on the road. What do I drive today? Still a manual transmission - and always will. You play at the track long enough, you'll pay one way or the other, eventually.

FYI, I don't buy a sports car to fit kids in the back - that's what my daily driver is for.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:34 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,878 Likes on 1,518 Posts

I had a manual 997 for 5 years, I'm 6'4". On the odd occasion I carried (small) people behind me it was just as easy to use the clutch as the brake. Obviously you need to use the clutch more though.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:58 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

FYI, I don't buy a sports car to fit kids in the back - that's what my daily driver is for.
As a many decade owner of various 911 iterations, I agree with your assertion. My wife and I always had at least three cars, and when our kids got to driving age, we had four. I probably could have gotten away with driving one car for my driving needs, but there were just too many places were I didn't feel comfortable driving a Porsche. It just drew too much attention, and it wouldn't be prudent driving it to certain areas.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:50 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I would go with the MT 911. I don't think that you would have your sons best friend in the back seat often and more than likely would be for a short distance. Honestly its really too dangerous to put any occupants in the back in case you are to get into a accident..
Old 08-21-2017, 03:56 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen k
I would go with the MT 911. I don't think that you would have your sons best friend in the back seat often and more than likely would be for a short distance. Honestly its really too dangerous to put any occupants in the back in case you are to get into a accident..
I have to plead guilty. When my son was five, he and two of his friends thought it would be great fun to ride in my 911's back seat. So I stuffed the three of them back there for a short ride. Unfortunately my wife was home when I returned, and she wasn't too happy when we got back. In my defense I took them for about a five mile ride in the country, where there is little or no traffic. But my wife didn't buy my rationalization. The kids however had a great time.

Quick Reply: To those with kids and a MT