Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto restart feature?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 06:09 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts

i guess this is to diminish the embarrassment of stalling in the first place...? Porsche really did think of everything on this car.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:29 PM
BJK
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
i guess this is to diminish the embarrassment of stalling in the first place...? Porsche really did think of everything on this car.
Auto restart works really well in combination with the hill hold function. My embarrassing/amusing process of discovering this on the first day with the car went something like this:

Beautiful afternoon drive on some local back roads, sunroof/windows open, chatting with the wife about how easy this car is to drive. Heading back into town, we pull up to a red light on a slight incline, sport-plus rev-matching as I downshift into first.

Light turns green, lift clutch, stall. “What the? That didn’t feel right…”

Push down the clutch and reach for the ignition. Car starts up before I get my hand to the key. “That’s cool.”

Give it a little more gas as I lift the clutch again. Stall. “What’s going on here?”

Push down the clutch, car fires right back up. “Awesome – love that auto restart.” Starting to go through the movements a little quicker as the line up behind me builds…

Stall. “Damn it!” No longer care about auto restart. Barely hear the lovingly snarky/teasing comment from my wife, as I push down the clutch for another go.

Giving it more gas, I start to notice the resistance as I slowly let up the clutch, as well as the green “HOLD” light in the dash. Realizing I was engaged in a battle of wills that I was determined not to lose for the fourth time, I lay on the gas and hold the clutch at the catch point, creating a display of sounds and smells not typically associated with a car moving so slowly. “What a stupid feature…”
Old 05-29-2014, 08:41 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We could use this opportunity to discuss PDK vs Manual...

Or better yet, we just skip that discussion, it has been well covered elsewhere.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:21 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Where's the LIKE button (re: skip it)?
Old 05-30-2014, 01:08 AM
BJK
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by John's 991
We could use this opportunity to discuss PDK vs Manual...

Or better yet, we just skip that discussion, it has been well covered elsewhere.
Ha - fair point. Though in this case less interaction from the car would have been preferable to more.

While I'm clearly in the MT camp, I'm also very much in the "I don't care what transmission you choose" camp. In the manual vs. PDK, C2 vs. C2S, SPASM vs. PASM vs. no-PASM, etc. discussions, the "vs." has a tendency to transform the conversation into a competition, which as a subjective matter, it is not. Objectively, the C2S is measurably faster, PDK is measurably faster, SPASM can take you around turns faster - no conversation needed. Subjective discussion about the differences, however, is much more interesting.

Except in the case of clear vs. red taillights. Those clears are just plain ugly.

In the end, I went to a hill on a side street and practiced a few times to get a sense for how the hill hold worked. Now that I know what to expect, this feature is rather unobtrusive.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:57 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
Interesting. . I thought only pdk cars has that feature.
Wait- you thought the car without the clutch starts when you depress the clutch?

Speaking of depressing, not even having to turn the key, how much more uninvolving can you get?

Next they'll be saying you don't even have to blip the throttle to blip the throttle. Or heel and toe to keep the car from rolling back on hills. Or heel and toe at all for that matter…. I'm getting another drink, before someone says they're watching the number of times you hit redline, use Launch Control….
Old 05-30-2014, 08:04 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BJK
...I lay on the gas and hold the clutch at the catch point, creating a display of sounds and smells not typically associated with a car moving so slowly. “What a stupid feature…”
I was behind you.

No, seriously, I was behind some poor schmuck in a new 991 (temp plates) last year who did this on a slight hill. Smoke was pouring out of the rear of that poor car (poor clutch). Another reason not to buy pre-owned.

Seriously though, it's a nice feature for people who don't know how to drive. The rest of us though... I personally wish that I could turn it off.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:19 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I had a Subaru back in the '80s that had the hill-hold feature. Taught my cute next door neighbor how to drive standard without having to replace the clutch.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:18 PM
wassy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pyramid
This feature can be programmed through PIWIS. Code 785 is always on (default), 786 always off, and 787 is to remembered last position. I did 786 as somehow the car does not response to 787 in my case.
Where are you located? Is INA Indonesia? PIWIS for 2018 doesn’t have a 786 option and removing 785 doesn’t make a difference. Will try 786 next trip to Dealer.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:23 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

It's a cool feature, huh ? Now that you know it's there, the trick is to cultivate your facial expression to a neutral "That's wasn't me stalling, look, my car is running. not me, nope".... I've done it a few times too...
I've never stalled an older car, but those E-gas ones certainly make it easier to fudge on occasion...
Old 08-17-2017, 02:51 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Neat feature for manuals!

I am very glad that I can disable start/stop on my car once and then never have to press it again...
Old 08-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
It's a feature. In my MT I ... umm... discovered this feature. On purpose, I swear.
Jackie Stewart claimed that if you didn't stall your MT once in awhile, you probably weren't driving it correctly.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:41 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Jackie Stewart claimed that if you didn't stall your MT once in awhile, you probably weren't driving it correctly.
Maybe cuz he hard a hard time reaching the clutch pedal?

Old 02-11-2018, 01:20 AM
Kerry Blackman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which modeule/control unit does this?

Originally Posted by pyramid
This feature can be programmed through PIWIS. Code 785 is always on (default), 786 always off, and 787 is to remembered last position. I did 786 as somehow the car does not response to 787 in my case.
Hi, I bought a 2018 and I'm trying to change the start up code. Do you know which control unit allows access to change this?
Old 11-27-2019, 07:48 AM
stoutthedog
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post

Originally Posted by Kerry Blackman
Hi, I bought a 2018 and I'm trying to change the start up code. Do you know which control unit allows access to change this?
Has anyone been able to get this to work?

Quick Reply: Auto restart feature?