Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone painted the standard (non SPASM) front 991.1 small "lip"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Anyone painted the standard (non SPASM) front 991.1 small "lip"?

Likely buying the SPASM lip, but before I do, I wanted to see if anyone has pictures of how the standard little lip (if you can even call it that) looks painted? I remember seeing one awhile back, and it looked good. Also, if anyone has pics of a painted SPASM lip that would be great too, as I'm debating painting that if I get it (aqua blue car with black wheels and accents, wondering which route to go).

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:32 AM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Here you go. I am going to get the sport lip painted to body color and swap them out. There is nothing wrong with this one, I just like the geometry of the sport one better. It rounds the car out better than the one I currently have.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:39 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by qtong
Here you go. I am going to get the sport lip painted to body color and swap them out. There is nothing wrong with this one, I just like the geometry of the sport one better. It rounds the car out better than the one I currently have.

Looks great!! I see what you mean. That's convincing but I'll probably get SPASM.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:18 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

That lip takes a beating (bugs, stone chips). Leave it unpainted black plastic. Looks great with a little Aerospece 303. And I hate unpainted black plastic trim, but I kept my larger sport lip unpainted, and glad I did.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:45 AM
Capt_and
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
That lip takes a beating (bugs, stone chips). Leave it unpainted black plastic. Looks great with a little Aerospece 303. And I hate unpainted black plastic trim, but I kept my larger sport lip unpainted, and glad I did.
I was also thinking that but decided that since the side skirts are already painted it would look off balance to not paint the lip. It would be the only unpainted plastic on the car. Plus I live in East TX where there isn't really any road construction and never any traffic so I rarely get any rock chips. I think in the last two years I accumulated a total of 6 rock chips between all of my cars.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:56 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by LexVan
Ideally I'd like to, I guess I'll assess it when I get the lip (just ordered it). Only issue is in black, it tends to disappear, especially in pictures.

How much would one estimate it would cost to paint when SPASM lip anyway?
Old 08-15-2017, 01:49 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I left mine unpainted. A front splitter has a hard life.

But if I did want to see it painted, I'd get a kit from
http://www.paintscratch.com/, a newspaper, and spend part of a Saturday. That way I wouldn't cringe as much if it scraped.

Last edited by RichAA; 08-15-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:16 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,371 Likes on 1,536 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
How much would one estimate it would cost to paint when SPASM lip anyway?
Don't pay anyone to paint a spoiler lip, this is rattle-can stuff. You can buy everything you need including cleaner/primer/ABS modifier/Color and Clear for around $ 50. Takes very little skill to paint it using all the steps and you'll be done in an afternoon. About 15 minutes work, and then drying time in between coats.

Plus you have everything you need to re-coat it after you bang it up and even repaint your side skirts from road blast (there's a reason Porsche doesn't paint them).

I've done my own rattle can on spoilers for years on Porsches and Aston Martins.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:36 AM
Johnny5Alive
Burning Brakes

Received 327 Likes on 132 Posts

I ran the SPASM spoiler unpainted for about 6 months. I'm pretty careful but pulling it off it looked a bit rough.

Of course I'm an idiot though and out a carbon front splitter on.

whatever. I figure I can always replace that part too, but even if it gets a bit chewed up it's a front splitter. That's what they do,
Old 08-16-2017, 06:19 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by RichAA
I left mine unpainted. A front splitter has a hard life.

But if I did want to see it painted, I'd get a kit from
http://www.paintscratch.com/, a newspaper, and spend part of a Saturday. That way I wouldn't cringe as much if it scraped.
Originally Posted by drcollie
Don't pay anyone to paint a spoiler lip, this is rattle-can stuff. You can buy everything you need including cleaner/primer/ABS modifier/Color and Clear for around $ 50. Takes very little skill to paint it using all the steps and you'll be done in an afternoon. About 15 minutes work, and then drying time in between coats.

Plus you have everything you need to re-coat it after you bang it up and even repaint your side skirts from road blast (there's a reason Porsche doesn't paint them).

I've done my own rattle can on spoilers for years on Porsches and Aston Martins.
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll try that. Any recommendations on the best kit to do this? Or is the linked one above ideal?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:26 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I've had my current front painted SPASM lip on my car for over 3 years. At only $179 at Suncoast I bought two and had them painted (along with my rear facia) at the same time. The extra one has been in storage in the basement ever since, just in case. I had them both covered in PPF clear film. These OEM lips are far tougher that most people believe the are. They flex and deflect like crazy. Mine has survived 20k miles on the mean streets of the city and over 50 track days. It's been scraped on entrance aprons a bunch of times but it always hits the bottom and unless you care to lay on your back it's not visible at all. It's also been hit TWICE on the open road by trucks throwing retreads at us. The second time it even knocked it off and flipped to the side of the road! But even then the clear film saved it. In this particular case I did replace a part of the clear film, however. So, for me, the painted lip has been a completely successful endeavor. As for the the extra lip in the basement, well I may still need it....someday.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:35 AM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll try that. Any recommendations on the best kit to do this? Or is the linked one above ideal?

It's the one that came to mind, and I've used it, but I'm sure there are others.

Looking forward to a pic after!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:41 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

Two hand, cross streams, right Doc.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Here is the painted Sport lip. Dealer painted it and headlight washer covers for free while they were respraying the front bumper.
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2017, 01:41 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Capt_and
Here is the painted Sport lip. Dealer painted it and headlight washer covers for free while they were respraying the front bumper.
Oh BABY!

Looks sensational! I just don't know how you can live with it? My car is a PASM with lowering springs to sit as low or maybe lower than SPASM height, and my SPASM lip wants to scrape on everything. My first several driveways: scraaape. Fortunately only on the underside but man am I peeling a lot of little ABS plastic threads off the underside.

I guess it's so easy to remove, especially if I had it painted, I'd probably just take it off as I leave a driveway, then put it back on, lol.

Quick Reply: Anyone painted the standard (non SPASM) front 991.1 small "lip"?