Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huracan Super Trofeo Vs 991.2 cup car

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017 | 12:47 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martini991RS
Question for you guys from a long term value/collectability perspective do you guys think a 991.1 will be more valuable in the future given it is a metzger engine in a 991 body? Or the metzger has a lot of documented problems/high running costs and the new engine is superior?
Thanks for the replies!
The Mezger has been used in Cup cars from 1998 supercup all the way to 2016 RSRs used by private teams in Le Mans this year.

Great engine design however there are alot of them. 996, 997, 991... That is Alot of factory porsche race cars with variations of that motor..

The new 991.2 DFI engines are supposedly good and last twice as long as mezgers before rebuild.
Time will tell what the new DFI engines are like to deal with long term and tell the tale of which 991 cup engine is more desireable down the road.

Right now, i would say the new DFI motor is more desireable as it is current and longer lasting.

As far as collectability is concerned, only the big race winning ,big name driver cars will have any real upside.

All the rest of the old cup cars will just be expensive to run vintage racers in the future.
Old 08-11-2017 | 12:56 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The Mezger has been used in Cup cars from 1998 supercup all the way to 2016 RSRs used by private teams in Le Mans this year.

Great engine design however there are alot of them. 996, 997, 991... That is Alot of factory porsche race cars with variations of that motor..

The new 991.2 DFI engines are supposedly good and last twice as long as mezgers before rebuild.
Time will tell what the new DFI engines are like to deal with long term and tell the tale of which 991 cup engine is more desireable down the road.

Right now, i would say the new DFI motor is more desireable as it is current and longer lasting.

As far as collectability is concerned, only the big race winning ,big name driver cars will have any real upside.

All the rest of the old cup cars will just be expensive to run vintage racers in the future.
Correct on all points
Old 08-11-2017 | 12:56 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

You know ruslan I appreciate your comments but now I'm back to 50/50 not sure which one to go for hahaha. I guess I will just wait for the season to finish and see if I can get a good deal. Why do you think the resale value of the Super Trofeo is low compared to the cup car? Parts availability?

BTW Here's a video of the huracan GT3 catching fire solo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-bewwNQ1TE
Basically, what you are saying is that you really want a factory race car for a track toy. And a serious one at that.
The big three are the 991 cup, Lambo ST and the Ferrari Challenge.

When considering operating costs, driver aids and resale they all have their pros and cons.

Basically, if you have to scratch the itch regardless of what is practical, then go for the car that you love the most.
The Lambo appears to grab at your heart strings, and if going to make a crazy purchase of one of the three, it might as well be the lambo.

For me, my dream is a new Cup car. And i am trying really hard to resist the urge until i think i am ready. But i too have to scratch the itch sooner then later.

I say go for it!

Old 08-11-2017 | 01:09 AM
dntlvet
Pro

991 RS is not going to be quicker at Road America than a GT4 Clubsport.
GT4 CS run 2:21 to 2:25. Not many RS do close.
Old 08-11-2017 | 01:24 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

I am totally not qualified to speak on the matter however I would think something along the lines of a GT4 or TCR class car would be the next step up from a top end road legal track car like an RS. I personally would love to pursue that in the next 10 years or so.
Old 08-11-2017 | 01:36 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Audi RS3 TCR car coming soon to my store...perfect intro race car.
Old 08-11-2017 | 01:40 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

I think the TCR cars are pretty cool. I think FWD would be a good thing for me personally and I think/assume the racing would be a bit different.
Old 08-11-2017 | 02:41 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by richardbf
I think the TCR cars are pretty cool. I think FWD would be a good thing for me personally and I think/assume the racing would be a bit different.
30-40 cars in a race means everyone is racing the whole time. Riot.
Old 08-11-2017 | 03:39 AM
Martini991RS
Advanced

I think you understand my heart well tcs haha, instead of a GT2RS or another road car I won't be able to enjoy on the road I figured it would be better for me to be getting my first track version super car that I would be able to learn about on the circuit =)

Yeah I wasn't considering the 488 cause I have driven the street car and generally I don't like turbo vehicles as much. I owned at 991 turbo S for about 3 months 1000km before I sold it at about 25% hit. Great car, perfect daily, virtually no turbo lag, super fast on highway super fast on track, the engine just didn't pull the heart strings enough.

Yes lambo is pulling my strings I just don't want to regret this purchase hence I am being quite careful about it cause it will be hard to resell the lambo where I am (or everywhere else it seems) and I am planning on keeping it with me for a long time.

TCS I think you will never really be ready, even though you think you are haha (kinda like marriage?) and you don't know what tomorrow will be so might as well join me down the rabbit hole and pull the trigger on your cup car as well =P hahaha

Basically, what you are saying is that you really want a factory race car for a track toy. And a serious one at that.
The big three are the 991 cup, Lambo ST and the Ferrari Challenge.

When considering operating costs, driver aids and resale they all have their pros and cons.

Basically, if you have to scratch the itch regardless of what is practical, then go for the car that you love the most.
The Lambo appears to grab at your heart strings, and if going to make a crazy purchase of one of the three, it might as well be the lambo.

For me, my dream is a new Cup car. And i am trying really hard to resist the urge until i think i am ready. But i too have to scratch the itch sooner then later.

I say go for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvOmqYk8JOk
Old 08-11-2017 | 12:31 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

I think you understand my heart well tcs haha, instead of a GT2RS or another road car I won't be able to enjoy on the road I figured it would be better for me to be getting my first track version super car that I would be able to learn about on the circuit =)

Yeah I wasn't considering the 488 cause I have driven the street car and generally I don't like turbo vehicles as much. I owned at 991 turbo S for about 3 months 1000km before I sold it at about 25% hit. Great car, perfect daily, virtually no turbo lag, super fast on highway super fast on track, the engine just didn't pull the heart strings enough.

Yes lambo is pulling my strings I just don't want to regret this purchase hence I am being quite careful about it cause it will be hard to resell the lambo where I am (or everywhere else it seems) and I am planning on keeping it with me for a long time.

TCS I think you will never really be ready, even though you think you are haha (kinda like marriage?) and you don't know what tomorrow will be so might as well join me down the rabbit hole and pull the trigger on your cup car as well =P hahaha
A few years ago my last street car was my weekend track car like you.
A fully caged GT3RS.
It wasnt long until I decided to buy a track car instead of another street car. (I really wanted to play on the track instead of the street)
I really enjoyed seeing the 991 Cups and 458 ferrari challenge cars at my D.E events and lusted for one of them.
I just can get them out of my head!
When the Lambo ST came on the sceene i was blown away on how cool it was for a race car. (i love factory race cars!)

I ended up taking a GT4CS so i could get my feet wet and try more racing as opposed open track days. It is been alot of fun and worked out great. Learning a tonne at manageable expense.
I figure I have another season in me before i go Cup and up the budget.

My new dream car however is the Porsche GT3R.
That will hopefully come after the Cup.
It has ABS and traction control in case you are wondering...
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2017 | 01:34 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

I was on track with a gaggle of Super Trofeos at Spa last year, along with a 991 Cup and a couple of Ferrari Challenge 488s. Would love to have one someday, but agree on the need for some "crew" and a coach if you lack prior pro experience w/ wings/slicks. The Lambos in this trim look wicked...

Then again, love the body in white Cup...

Old 08-11-2017 | 02:02 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

I ended up taking a GT4CS so i could get my feet wet and try more racing as opposed open track days. It is been alot of fun and worked out great. Learning a tonne at manageable expense.
I figure I have another season in me before i go Cup and up the budget.

My new dream car however is the Porsche GT3R.
That will hopefully come after the Cup.
It has ABS and traction control in case you are wondering...

I am almost at a point where I can 'almost' move up to a Cup car from the GT4CS. Right now I am around 3% behind a pro driving my car, well within the range of a race from pole to last place.
Old 08-11-2017 | 02:50 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I am almost at a point where I can 'almost' move up to a Cup car from the GT4CS. Right now I am around 3% behind a pro driving my car, well within the range of a race from pole to last place.
The GT4CS has really fast forwarded me into running respectable laps behind a pro. My racecraft and experience is no where close to a pro however but It is very rewarding to see how quickly I have got the car up to pace after a season of racing last year.

Have you considered entering your clubsport in the Competent GT3 Cup Trophy series or the PCA Trophy east series? It is a great home for the car and a great way to experience tracks across the USA.
Old 08-11-2017 | 11:21 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Why 991.2 if you aren't competing?

991.1 are affordable, appears to be a great learning platform and real performance. Gt4 is weak for cost. Lambo ST absurdly high parts cost, bazooka for a knife fight and consequences are extremely high. Unrestricted these cars were running GTLM times at COTA. Plain stupid as a track day car if you ask me.

Parts example: front splitter on 991 cup $300ish. Lambo 7k
Old 08-12-2017 | 01:26 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

The GT4CS has really fast forwarded me into running respectable laps behind a pro. My racecraft and experience is no where close to a pro however but It is very rewarding to see how quickly I have got the car up to pace after a season of racing last year.

Have you considered entering your clubsport in the Competent GT3 Cup Trophy series or the PCA Trophy east series? It is a great home for the car and a great way to experience tracks across the USA.

It's ridiculously easy to get up to speed in the GT4CS, easier than driving a street car. I tracked a 991.1 Cup car before many times and felt like I wasn't ready and that's why I got the GT4CS.

I thought about entering PCA Trophy East, as the Ultra94 GT3 Cup discontinued the Silver Class for GT4CS.

That plan changed when I signed up for the Porsche Racing Experience in October, as when I graduate from that I will obtained a International D and Porsche will find me rides racing in a Cup car, hence the move up to a Cup car to get use to it.

Quick Reply: Huracan Super Trofeo Vs 991.2 cup car