Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huracan Super Trofeo Vs 991.2 cup car

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017 | 08:30 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The GT4CS has been as simple as gas, oil, brakes and tires.
The only computer issue has been steering angle sensor on the banking at Daytona. PMNA have a fix for it this month. (hopefully)
+1. Have a friend with one. It just goes, and it's plenty fast. Plus you can leave it outside at night or when it rains, because windows!
Old 08-08-2017 | 09:33 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
+1 100%

I'm talking non suicide machines but otherwise fast cars...
You're way to racy for these pages
Hahaha! Hardly, compared to you! You are TRAKCAR!
Old 08-08-2017 | 09:35 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
we just got the update from PMNA, the best thing about GT4CS is that we do get constant updates. ABS, Transmission, etc etc

While I am obviously a McLaren fan and can definitely get anyone a 570GT4 through my dealers, some people will be the only mclaren at the track vs being one of 3 dozen Porsche race cars and a Porsche parts truck. I'm working on beefing up a McLaren Motorsports angle but it's uphill currently.
PMNA have been great with getting us the latest updates for the car. Great people. Makes owning a GT4CS really nice. This is why i love racing a Porsche.

A friend of mine bought McLaren chassis 001 and 002 for IMSA GS this year as opposed to going with Porsche. He has had some issues with them while others have done well with them.
They are spectacular cars. I can only assume the issues are with detuning them for BoP.
It is really cool to have one, but there is something to be said for having a car that there are multiples at the same event.
Old 08-08-2017 | 09:40 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mvez
+1. Have a friend with one. It just goes, and it's plenty fast. Plus you can leave it outside at night or when it rains, because windows!
PCA permitted us to remove the windows this season in the series. I elected to leave them in because they are just so darn convenient!

You can actaully drive the car from the Sebring padock to the cheateau elan and park it overnight with the full windows and keyless entry!
Old 08-08-2017 | 10:01 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

How about a Spec 987.2 Cayman race car with a 3.8L or 4.0L engine build? I know with a 4.0L engine the thing will be right there with cup cars due to it's low weight (2700ish).
Old 08-09-2017 | 12:30 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
How about a Spec 987.2 Cayman race car with a 3.8L or 4.0L engine build? I know with a 4.0L engine the thing will be right there with cup cars due to it's low weight (2700ish).
I was also wondering what it would take for a GT4CS to run with a Cup car.
I think if you stripped some weight, added basic power upgrades then you would have a close match.

Rick Deman's GT4 is fully stripped, lots of extra power and is very fast. Almost Cup car fast.
Old 08-09-2017 | 12:37 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

For similar cost (up front and operating) you could also have this. Be forwarned: one taste of driving a high downforce car and you'll be ruined.....
Attached Images  

Last edited by Scrappy1972; 08-09-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-09-2017 | 01:05 PM
consolidated
Drifting

The reason the lambos are hard to drive:

30 lbs of gold chain ballast, missed shifts from bedazzled gloves
This is why I come to Rennlist, thank you sir.
Old 08-09-2017 | 05:16 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
For similar cost (up front and operating) you could also have this. Be forwarded: one taste of driving a high downforce car and you'll be ruined.....
Personally the LMP3 car is fantastic. I have raced it a few times.

BUT- good luck setting it up solo
Old 08-09-2017 | 05:37 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Personally the LMP3 car is fantastic. I have raced it a few times.

BUT- good luck setting it up solo
There should be a reasonable amount of setup data available from Onroak. The cars are designed for 24 hour races so I think the adjustments should be stable over the course of a weekend. As with the GT3 Cup and Super Trofeo (or any race car for that matter), you'd want to check alignment in between events, at a minimum. I came pretty close to ordering one myself but chose a different path..... for now.
Old 08-09-2017 | 05:46 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
There should be a reasonable amount of setup data available from Onroak. The cars are designed for 24 hour races so I think the adjustments should be stable over the course of a weekend. As with the GT3 Cup and Super Trofeo (or any race car for that matter), you'd want to check alignment in between events, at a minimum. I came pretty close to ordering one myself but chose a different path..... for now.
You carry alignment stuff and do your own alignments?
Old 08-09-2017 | 07:14 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

You carry alignment stuff and do your own alignments?
I do, or rather my team does - but that's because I'm racing and making micro adjustments in between sessions (and during in the case of shock settings).

I thought we were talking about a track day car and comparing the LMP3 to the 991 Cup car and Super Trofeo? All these will require similar level of preparation and expertise to maintain. Re-alignments will not be needed for any of these cars during regular track days if they are properly prepared in advance, and barring any on track incidents.

The equipment and expertise required to perform an alignment should not be so different. They're all race cars with presumably the same adjustment parameters (camber, caster, toe).

Last edited by Scrappy1972; 08-09-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2017 | 01:10 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Call me old fashioned, but i just really enjoy owning and racing sports cars.
Once i make it to a GT3R, im done.
Old 08-10-2017 | 01:58 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

GT3R
Old 08-10-2017 | 02:28 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

I'll go against the grain and say that the Cayman GT4 is a lousy learning platform.

MR or not, the GT4CS is a stripped streeter with upgraded suspension and adjustable ABS. Intuitive to drive, easy to race, extremely forgiving. All that helps hide bad habits and tolerate (even promote) mistakes.

Case in point: the chassis is near-immune to bad weight transfer. Brake are so powerful that one can donkey the pedal 8 ways to Sunday and still make most corners. TC is so smart that it'll save you from throttle/brake applications that would've put most racecars into the wall.

Pros would tell you that 95% of the Cayman is accessible within your first 5 hours. That last 5% is difficult and has more to do with trusting the momentum the chassis can carry, and capitalizing on those massive brakes to one's advantage.

Within the class I will go to battle in a Cayman any day (explains its popularity in Blancpain GT4 and other series). But as a learning platform I won't bother unless I have no further expectations beyond gentleman racing.

As to your other options:

The Supertrofeo is essentially an unrestricted GT3 car and runs faster with less aero. As others said, it's mighty fun to drive but I'm really not sure from a risk/learning perspective. Reliability also appears to be an issue with overheating (fire) and brake problems leading to bad outcomes. I've witnessed two fires and a case of brake failure leading to broken bones and total loss.

Of the choices you mentioned I will bite the bullet and go with a Cup Car and a coach if budget allows. It'll be humbling initially, but long term it'll serve you well.

Quick Reply: Huracan Super Trofeo Vs 991.2 cup car