996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Glass markings and manufacture year?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 11:21 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Glass markings and manufacture year?

Hey all,

Question about the marking on the glass. I know what most of the markings mean but I'm yet to confirm the date marking and how it works.

Is the number at the bottom of the glass marking the year and the dots the month? I've read a bit online but can't find any confirmation.

I know my car has had a replacement drivers side glass so the marking is "8" and the rear windscreen is "9" so that looks like it may have been replaced at some point too.

However the rear quarter is "2" and the passenger front is "1" so now i'm not sure what is going on!

Any ideas? Other cars I've noticed usually have the year as one less that the cars year I.e. 2008 car i've seen has "7".

I have also noticed 3 types of markings too one with the Securit logo and then the next line in bold or the Securit line in regular then for newer glass there is no Securit "logo" its just text.

Anyway I know there will be some people who get this and some people will be asking why I care... I'm not sure why I just do

Old 08-03-2017, 03:29 PM
msrecca
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 is in fact year of manufacture. Total of dots to left of the number is the month, dots total of dots to right of number plus 6 is month of manufacture
Old 08-03-2017, 06:30 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by msrecca
2 is in fact year of manufacture. Total of dots to left of the number is the month, dots total of dots to right of number plus 6 is month of manufacture
Thanks! Makes sense now.

Does that potentially mean that the glass on my 2004 may not be the glass it left the factory with? As "2" might be too old? It should be "3"?

Also what year is "9"? As my rear glass is "9" but has the older style "sekurit" script so it wouldn't be from "2009" as the marking style was updated in either 2005 or 2006 onwards.

​​​​​​Here is my right side glass:

Old 08-04-2017, 08:49 AM
msrecca
AutoX

Dating seems to be all over the place,especially with modern just in time parts from subcontractors to cut manufacturing costs. Also the right side glass is China certified where the other ones aren't.

Here is an open source on glass ,\markings that we use. http://www.elsie.com.ua/eng/mark.html
Old 08-04-2017, 09:48 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Dating seems to be all over the place,especially with modern just in time parts from subcontractors to cut manufacturing costs. Also the right side glass is China certified where the other ones aren't.

Here is an open source on glass ,\markings that we use. http://www.elsie.com.ua/eng/mark.html
Thanks, I did notice the CCC must have been an addition after 2005 or so.

I really can't find a consistent pattern, some 2004 models have "9" most I have seen have one less than the cars year I.e a 2002 has "1" but there are very few 2004s with "3". My car has a mix of "1", "2" and "9" then the glass I know has been replaced has "8" and "0".

I used this as my source:
https://www.partssociety.com/search?...roduct&q=glass

This is difficult to follow:

"Number, month and year of manufacturing: the figure with points designates year, the sum of points to figure – month of manufacturing, the sum of points after figure – month of manufacturing + 6. In marking XINYI the top figure – year (9 => 2009), the sum of figures on the centre – month (1+2+8=11 => November), decimal number + the sum of remained figures below – the number of month (10+1+2+4=17)."

The figure with the points designates the year??
Old 08-04-2017, 11:37 AM
msrecca
AutoX

Agreed it is. I had to throw the question up to the lab rats over coffee here. 17 is the day of the month of manufacture in that example. The website is maintained in the Ukraine, a non native English speaking country, hence the error.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:03 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Agreed it is. I had to throw the question up to the lab rats over coffee here. 17 is the day of the month of manufacture in that example. The website is maintained in the Ukraine, a non native English speaking country, hence the error.
All good thanks for the clarification

Still not too sure what pattern to go with as my glass is all over the place!

Quick Reply: Glass markings and manufacture year?