Sponsored by:

Refinish Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:37 PM
boatracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Refinish Wheels

im considering refinishing my winter wheels and want to do a matte black to match my OEM summer wheels. Anyone have any thoughts, recommendations or what to ask for?
Old 08-01-2017, 09:30 PM
*991*
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by boatracer
im considering refinishing my winter wheels and want to do a matte black to match my OEM summer wheels. Anyone have any thoughts, recommendations or what to ask for?
I am planning the same but I have 2 sets of silver and would like to get the winter rims done in a darker color. I am looking for info as well
Old 08-02-2017, 12:11 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

don't go matte, go satin black. Matte usually turns chalky over time. the matte forgestars that we bought for the cayenne lasted 2 years before they looked bad. I just redid them in satin. make sure to ask the coater if the powder is UV stable.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:36 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Doing same with OEM 20s for winter. Think I'm going gloss as summer wheels (HRE) are satin.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:27 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

I highly suggest using a shop highly experienced with refinishing high performance wheels. Run-of-the-mill powder-coating shops often use powders requiring temperatures that are too high and/or too prolonged and may compromise the strength of the wheel. The removal process for the old finish is also important. Paint could be used but isn't as robust.

I would recommend checking with someone like our sponsor Wheel Dynamics if you want them done right and don't mind spending the extra money to make sure they are done well and safely... especially if your car will get driven at higher speeds.

Last edited by StormRune; 08-02-2017 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Corrected wrong wheel shop name!
Old 08-02-2017, 12:45 PM
...Max...
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also getting set to refinish mine - will use these guys wheelrepairsolutions.com as they appear to be the go-to refinishing shop for both dealers and indys in our area. Unfortunately they don't have a lot of samples so I'm kinda on my own with picking color. They use powders from this vendor and recommended to order and bring the one I want. I ordered some swatches from vendor's site, will see if they prove more helpful than the photos in their gallery. Unfortunately, color names for powders are nothing like what you see in association with finished wheels (e.g. platinum, anthracite) so it's going to be as tricky as getting the wall paint color just right.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by StormRune
I highly suggest using a shop highly experienced with refinishing high performance wheels. Run-of-the-mill powder-coating shops often use powders requiring temperatures that are too high and/or too prolonged and may compromise the strength of the wheel. The removal process for the old finish is also important. Paint could be used but isn't as robust.

I would recommend checking with someone like our sponsor Wheel Dynamics if you want them done right and don't mind spending the extra money to make sure they are done well and safely... especially if your car will get driven at higher speeds.
We appreciate the recommendation, we have been servicing the PORSCHE communities for over 15-years and are familiar with the best procedures to ensure the integrity of the wheel is not jeopardized during the refinishing process.

Someone posted a "fading" comment in this thread, this is very common in powder-coating, we normally hard-bake finish our wheels unless you specially request PC then we will do it using a slow bake and lower than normal temps that also allow the PC to have a smoother coating, however I personally prefer hard-bake finishing over PC especially on performance cars.

Our cost on wheels is currently $160 ea. on one color finishes or $175 ea. on two color/polish finishes, (rennlisters can also have their center caps refinished to a perfect match at no additional cost, $60 savings)

Old 08-02-2017, 02:40 PM
...Max...
Advanced

@WheelDynamics - are you using Prismatic powders, or some other brand? Any chance you could match the powder names against the wheel samples you posted?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:33 AM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by ...Max...
I am also getting set to refinish mine - will use these guys wheelrepairsolutions.com as they appear to be the go-to refinishing shop for both dealers and indys in our area. Unfortunately they don't have a lot of samples so I'm kinda on my own with picking color. They use powders from this vendor and recommended to order and bring the one I want. I ordered some swatches from vendor's site, will see if they prove more helpful than the photos in their gallery. Unfortunately, color names for powders are nothing like what you see in association with finished wheels (e.g. platinum, anthracite) so it's going to be as tricky as getting the wall paint color just right.
from prismatic, go with Stone Black. these are some I did in that color, but I am a retired powdercoater.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:15 AM
...Max...
Advanced

I like the gloss level, but would probably prefer somewhat lighter shade -- and metallic finish. What do you think of charcoals (graphite, haze...)?
Old 08-03-2017, 09:38 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ...Max...
@WheelDynamics - are you using Prismatic powders, or some other brand? Any chance you could match the powder names against the wheel samples you posted?
The wheels we posted are all hard-bake finished, we would rather keep away from PC products unless we feel they are necessary.

Quick Reply: Refinish Wheels