Sponsored by:

Using Waze in the 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 04:04 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Using Waze in the 991.2

I used to use Waze along with my passport 9500ix in my Boxster to get alerts of speed traps etc. I understand with Apple CarPlay, Waze will not display on the PCM screen. Not supported by Apple. If want to use Waze in my 991.2 4S, I suppose I have to mount the phone separately in view rather than leaving it in the center console? Any other options? Thanks.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I find Waze very useful for speed trap alerts etc.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:50 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

AFAIK Waze does not play with Carplay yet. It plays with Android Auto as of very recently...
Apple wants you to use its own maps... for now...

Yes, get a mount for your phone or leave it in a cubby, I believe waze alerts will sound via PCM over the radio (pretty sure mine did, but I stopped using the 991 to commute so I can't swear it)
Old 08-03-2017, 06:37 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

OP: You are correct. Only way to use waze right now is as you suggested. I just put on 2750 miles on my new 2018 991.2 and used waze on my iphone with a mount connected to my ventilation vanes. I addressed this point to a small extent in a video that made for European delivery.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:57 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
OP: You are correct. Only way to use waze right now is as you suggested. I just put on 2750 miles on my new 2018 991.2 and used waze on my iphone with a mount connected to my ventilation vanes. I addressed this point to a small extent in a video that made for European delivery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL23xqsj_88
Nice video!
Hey, subshooter, I asked the same question in my favorite haunt P9 to see what gives? Enjoyed watching you have fun in your car.
My car hopefully is on its way to NH. I hope you get yours soon too.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

If you are using Waze just for alerts, I can confirm that it will announce over the PCM with the phone plugged in but screen off.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:06 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
If you are using Waze just for alerts, I can confirm that it will announce over the PCM with the phone plugged in but screen off.

I got the voice alerts to work over the car speaker via Bluetooth or while it was plugged in while phone screen was on. It worked great.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:11 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
I got the voice alerts to work over the car speaker via Bluetooth or while it was plugged in while phone screen was on. It worked great.
I am a naive and confused man. If I connect my iphone 7 via the USB port to the car, the approved apps are displayed on the PCM screen, right? So, if I now display Waze on my iphone, what is displayed on the PCM?
Old 08-03-2017, 09:40 PM
cug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll have to chose whether you use Apple CarPlay when connecting the phone which will disable the phone screen or just a phone connection, which will leave the phone operational, but you get no CarPlay.

The other option is to either not use a USB connection when you use Waze or use the outlet in the glove compartment, I don't believe that one supports CarPlay

Anyways, I'm still looking for a solution to mount a phone in a good place that doesn't rely on sticking magnetic material on the back of my phone. I hate that. If the Rennline mount had a clamp adapter, I would have already bought one.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:13 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cug
You'll have to chose whether you use Apple CarPlay when connecting the phone which will disable the phone screen or just a phone connection, which will leave the phone operational, but you get no CarPlay.

The other option is to either not use a USB connection when you use Waze or use the outlet in the glove compartment, I don't believe that one supports CarPlay

Anyways, I'm still looking for a solution to mount a phone in a good place that doesn't rely on sticking magnetic material on the back of my phone. I hate that. If the Rennline mount had a clamp adapter, I would have already bought one.
OK I think I got it. I can mount my phone in the dash and plug into the USB in the glove compartment. Not use apple CarPlay. (Anyway, I prefer Google maps and not apple maps.) As long as I use the phone via Bluetooth and be able to display Waze on my phone, the PCM can display whatever. It is a hassle to clutter up the interior by having a phone in the dash but that is what it is.

The other option that people seem to be suggesting that even with CarPlay and phone screen off, waze alerts are voiced over the speaker system.

I listen mainly to jazz and I don't like a noisy sports car environment for that. I can always switch back to CarPlay when I am just doing miles on the interstate and listen to my jazz collection. My Boxster was quite a lousy environment for even that so I just preferred to listen to the engine intake and exhaust.

I used a clamp adaptor in my Boxster to mount my iPhone. I believe it works for both the 981 and 991 but not sure about the new 911s. The mount is basically is a thin metal wedge that slips into the space between the PCM screen and the surrounding dash. Clever design and very stable. The clamp can be rotated for a landscape or portrait orientation of the phone.

Quick Reply: Using Waze in the 991.2