Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front of the car isn't level left to right

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 01:27 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front of the car isn't level left to right

Hey guys, I'm taking a break from my engine rebuild while I wait for some parts, so I figured I'd paint my new front valence. The old one is cracked and bent and paint chipped. I always thought it was the reason that my car looked like it was listing to one side, but today I measured it, and it's half an inch higher on the driver's side. The condition existed before and after I installed lowering springs and koni adjustables up front. Any ideas what could cause this? I suppose I could slap some washers somewhere to level it but I'd like to know the cause.
Attached Images    
Old 07-22-2017, 01:58 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

1) how do your strut mounts look?
2) are the control arms and tie rods parallel to the ground on both sides?
3) for fun, get in the driver seat and have someone else measure the ride height again and see if it levels out..maybe Porsche builds em tilted to compensate for the driver
Old 07-22-2017, 03:20 PM
mikehayes
Racer

The tie rod ends are at different heights. How is this possible? I checked my tire pressure and they're off by a bit, but not enough to cause the difference I saw. The only thing I can think is that one hub is at a different angle (rotated around the wheel's axis) than the other, but that shouldn't be possible either right?
Old 07-22-2017, 03:24 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

itd be pretty noticeable camber to get a 1/2".

assuming all the other parts are correct and match, i suspect your upper strut mount bushing/donuts may need replacement. if that is indeed the case, luckily you can use a replacement for a 1988 volkswagen FOX which is about $12 each vs the 944 part number at over $100.

youre this far into it...whats a little more time to pull the front struts
Old 07-22-2017, 04:56 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

raise the rear passenger side.

measure pick up points of the suspension components as the body assembly does have tolerances. the wsm has the specs
Old 07-22-2017, 09:37 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehayes
The tie rod ends are at different heights. How is this possible? I checked my tire pressure and they're off by a bit, but not enough to cause the difference I saw. The only thing I can think is that one hub is at a different angle (rotated around the wheel's axis) than the other, but that shouldn't be possible either right?
Could be the angle of your photo but it looks like the RF tire is way further forward in relation to the fender.

Could be caster is adjusted wrong (on both sides).

Imagine your shoulder is the top strut mount. With your arms hanging to your side making a fist, your hand is the spindle at -0- caster. As you move your fist forward, you are moving towards what would be maximum caster adjustment.
As your fist moves forward, it raises in height which would lower that side of the car.

Look under car at rear a-arm and note position of the adjustment tab and report back what clock position they are in with 6'oclock being straight down.

T
Old 07-23-2017, 12:52 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

That's not a good point of reference for measurement, first you should find out which side is too high or too low from a factory reference point.

See if "X" is the same both sides, then make sure your control arms are parallel +/- 10mm. If you find things are out you can adjust the eccentrics at the rear to raise or lower the front accordingly.

Obviously what others have said about all the bushes and bearings being serviceable and tire pressures being equal applies before any measurements are taken.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:08 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

man, P sure gives us all the important ****, huh?

try finding diagrams like that for a subaru...that wasnt drawn by the aftermarket
Old 07-23-2017, 03:11 PM
jtedgar
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should measure height for the car with the driver in seat. The car could have been corner weighted with ride height compensation for the weight of the driver. The car should be relatively level with the driver in the car.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:44 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jtedgar
You should measure height for the car with the driver in seat. The car could have been corner weighted with ride height compensation for the weight of the driver. The car should be relatively level with the driver in the car.
Not the case, the bodywork heights are usually all over the place after a corner balance. Corner balancing doesn't care about the fenders all being stanced right, simply that the weight on each wheel is balanced. Yes it's with driver and 1/2 tank of gas but this isn't a race car so I don't think it's the problem here.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:29 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Not the case, the bodywork heights are usually all over the place after a corner balance. Corner balancing doesn't care about the fenders all being stanced right, simply that the weight on each wheel is balanced. Yes it's with driver and 1/2 tank of gas but this isn't a race car so I don't think it's the problem here.
100% correct.

An earlier poster mentioned further loading the diagonal rear wheel which is possible with the torsion bar and could very well solve his problem if it's not a jacked up caster setting.

But you are right also about measuring points. You'd be surprised (or maybe not since you mentioned tracking a car) at the amount of people that ask me at the track what my ride height is as measured from the fender arches.

I just laugh and say "I don't know" so they automatically think they should seek advice elsewhere even though my car/driver is P1....

Here's what I use for accuracy, a regular tape is useless, not accurate enough.

Alternatively, when I am 100% set on ride height after testing and adjusting, I'll make some custom go/no go blocks that slide under the factory points with -0- clearance.
I keep these in the track tool cart.
If a driver comes in and reports a handling problem, you have to know what your base settings are/were to start there and verify to rule out an adjustment that may have moved.

T
Old 07-24-2017, 11:11 AM
mikehayes
Racer

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Could be the angle of your photo but it looks like the RF tire is way further forward in relation to the fender.
Wheels are turned toward driver side.

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Could be caster is adjusted wrong (on both sides). Look under car at rear a-arm and note position of the adjustment tab and report back what clock position they are in with 6'oclock being straight down.T
This was my first thought when I noticed that one tie rod end was lower than the other. In fact, I know that my front caster is out of spec on one side, because the sheet read that way when I got my last alignment, but I was told (by someone who doesn't know anything about 944's) that if they left it that way it probably wasn't adjustable, so I didn't look into it. I'll check it out!

Originally Posted by MAGK944
That's not a good point of reference for measurement, first you should find out which side is too high or too low from a factory reference point.

See if "X" is the same both sides, then make sure your control arms are parallel +/- 10mm. If you find things are out you can adjust the eccentrics at the rear to raise or lower the front accordingly.
The first thing I measured was X. If I remember correctly they differed by at least 15mm. I recently installed larger torsion bars and koni's in the back, and I indexed them so that the back was perfectly level. I never corner balanced it because I didn't have access to scales. I'd say that indexing the back caused this problem, but I distinctly remember noticing it before I did the suspension overhaul.

Originally Posted by jtedgar
If it was corner balanced before, it certainly isn't anymore after I did my new suspension.

Question: I have a 26.8mm sway bar up front. Could it be affecting anything here?
Old 07-24-2017, 11:52 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mikehayes
....I'd say that indexing the back caused this problem, but I distinctly remember noticing it before I did the suspension overhaul.

Question: I have a 26.8mm sway bar up front. Could it be affecting anything here?
Yes agreed, indexing the rear will cause the front to raise or lower. One side of the front may have been off before and has been exaggerated further by the indexing. Its best to use the front and rear factory reference points for measuring height, the body panels are notoriously out of kilter. As an example, on both my cars the rear wheels have noticeably different spacing into the wheel wells and I know everything is new and straight back there.

The sway bar should not make a difference unless one control arm is higher than the other, in which case it could induce some pre-load affecting the other arm. Unfortunately you cannot adjust pre-load on the stock arms, so if you are worried about it affecting measurements, simply unwind the bolt on one of the drop links until it has no effect.

Quick Reply: Front of the car isn't level left to right