Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Joy Of Ownership (Documenting My 997 M97 Rebuild)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:27 AM
inmotion5939
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Joy Of Ownership (Documenting My 997 M97 Rebuild)

fellow porschephiles!

my name's tyler, a twenty-eight year old from baltimore, md working in the petroleum service industry. for years i've longed for a porsche (more so specifically a 997) and with my current situation felt that it was now or never. my thinking was i work hard day in and day out so why not treat myself as in all honesty i may not have another chance to do so however what started out as an innocent purchase has since turned into a fairly frequent headache with the most recent being non-ferrous (aluminum) shavings which i've been finding and growing in number in each of the three oil changes for the past 15,000 miles (please not these shavings appear like glitter as there's THAT much, they're also strictly consolidated to the filter). i've checked out my options and the majority of them are outrageous, to the point i was considering dropping a chevy v8 in however would like to stay true to the brand and after a little encouragement from a local indy (not to mention knowing they'll gladly fix my mistakes given something was to transpire) decided to take the reigns and perform this myself with the help of a few friends (all of which are mechanically inclined one being a jaguar master tech). i've worked on engines in the past, my friends and i actually swapped an LS1 into my '08 s2000 (google, "death trap s2k") so this should be nothing new as at the end of the day it's a prestigious brand however still an ENGINE.

i'll post pictures of exactly what i'm referencing above however for the time being wanted to introduce myself and start this m97 rebuild documentation. from here on out i'll be posting a plethora of pictures with what i find and ultimately the finished product.

here's my beautiful (to me) 336 mexico blue 911 c2s ... great color imho

and some of the ugly, the quantity of shavings has increased with each oil change

removed the engine on 07/13/17, honestly the easiest engine i've ever pulled

Last edited by inmotion5939; 07-17-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Cool, keep it coming... we love this stuff.

Could you let us know the year, mileage and any other descriptive information about your car? Also, why are you rebuilding? Is it just the debris? Is the engine running fine? CEL codes?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

Right on! I'm sorry to see another 997.1 fail but I'm stoked to hear that you're not going to take it laying down. Have you considered taking Jake Raby's Engine builder class? It may be a great way to get a handle on the intricacies of the task ahead.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:24 PM
Evilfrog
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I love that color. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:31 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you decided to keep it...im they guy that message u about gt3 exhaust..goodluck on build...
Old 07-17-2017, 12:55 PM
inmotion5939
AutoX

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Cool, keep it coming... we love this stuff.

Could you let us know the year, mileage and any other descriptive information about your car? Also, why are you rebuilding? Is it just the debris? Is the engine running fine? CEL codes?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
thanks for the extra motivation bruce! the car is a my '08 c2s w/ roughly 110k miles on it, engine seems to be running fine with no ticks, knocks, etc and no CEL codes however the metal i'm seeing isn't leaving me that confident (i've attached a picture of said shavings to the OP).

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Right on! I'm sorry to see another 997.1 fail but I'm stoked to hear that you're not going to take it laying down. Have you considered taking Jake Raby's Engine builder class? It may be a great way to get a handle on the intricacies of the task ahead.
haha yes deff not taking it while lying down, in regards to engine building classes i'll PM you my thoughts on such as well as this entire high price rebuild/replacement deal ... honestly outrageous and couldn't be more furious about such (in my opinion $13k is a fair price for said rebuild and is what most indies and hartech charge ... i don't see paying anymore because some look at a specific builder as a brand).

Originally Posted by Evilfrog
I love that color. Good luck.
thank you!

Originally Posted by sober_owl
you decided to keep it...im they guy that message u about gt3 exhaust..goodluck on build...
yes i did, if i didn't reply to your question just PM me here and i'll be sure to
Old 07-17-2017, 01:03 PM
inmotion5939
AutoX

here's the engine out of the car and with a few items removed from such (i may be most excited about cleaning it)

here's the passenger cam cover removed, i started inspecting one side at a time for any obvious signs of wear

another shot of the passenger cylinder head however with the cams removed, very anxious to removed said head

i found two tappets on this bank that where rather worn and scored despite the cams looking average for 110k miles ...
Old 07-17-2017, 01:54 PM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I applaud your efforts! Subscribed!!

Originally Posted by inmotion5939

here's the engine out of the car and with a few items removed from such (i may be most excited about cleaning it)

here's the passenger cam cover removed, i started inspecting one side at a time for any obvious signs of wear

another shot of the passenger cylinder head however with the cams removed, very anxious to removed said head

i found two tappets on this bank that where rather worn and scored despite the cams looking average for 110k miles ...
Old 07-17-2017, 04:41 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any plans on upgradibg cams? all the 4.0 builds i see are just that 4.0...to take advantage of the bigger displacement some headwork and cams is usualy needed...
Old 07-17-2017, 05:20 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 87 Posts

Really hope all this has a happy ending. Look forward to reading about the updates. Best of luck throughout!!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:02 PM
saintv90
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

What I wouldn't give for a mexico blue C2S!! Good luck on the build! I'll be watching!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:12 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 456 Likes on 164 Posts

Epic. Keep the updates rolling.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:08 AM
inmotion5939
AutoX

Originally Posted by sober_owl
any plans on upgradibg cams? all the 4.0 builds i see are just that 4.0...to take advantage of the bigger displacement some headwork and cams is usualy needed...
i'm unsure yet, i'm not trying to do a "budget build" per say however do have other priorities in-line at the moment and am hoping i don't need to touch pistons and/or cylinders

the 4.0l conversion however doesn't need cams or headwork, just cylinders and pistons according to LN

Originally Posted by GTS Sully
Really hope all this has a happy ending. Look forward to reading about the updates. Best of luck throughout!!

me too, i'd really like to be driving the car this fall without a hard hit to the wallet ... things seem to happen at the most inopportune times! especially with a ring i recently paid for and proposal coming up next month! haha

Originally Posted by saintv90
What I wouldn't give for a mexico blue C2S!! Good luck on the build! I'll be watching!
haha i love the color however it was't always 336, it was originally c9z however after hitting a chair in the highway the car received a full/proper respray

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Epic. Keep the updates rolling.

posting now!
Old 07-19-2017, 10:15 AM
inmotion5939
AutoX

alright, so i was able to sit down and tear into the engine a little more yesterday; overall the engine seems to be VERY CLEAN with little to no suspect areas so far ... i'm happy.

i removed bank2's cylinder head (pictured) to find no evidence of any scoring above the pistons with pistons at BDC, bank1's cylinder head was also removed however looks identical (i may be a believer in the low temp tstat/third radiator now as i installed such as my first mod when purchasing the car).

one of my chain rail guide bolts was hand tight in the block though, upon further inspection the threaded portion broke away inside the block however luckily was able to extract ... my attention is now focused on this chain cavity.

sorry about the pictures, I NEED TO ROTATE BEFORE POSTING! any idea why the pistons have so much carbon build up on them? wrong octane or excess fuel cleaner use?

chain guide bolt with broken stud

threaded stud i luckily extracted
Old 07-19-2017, 08:59 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Very interested in your rebuild. Did you have any difference in soot on the exhaust ports or exhaust pipes? Many here worry about sooty drivers side pipes as evidence of scoring. And cylinders 4 and 6.

All the the best on your build.

Quick Reply: The Joy Of Ownership (Documenting My 997 M97 Rebuild)