Sponsored by:

Dashboard "fog" (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 11:20 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dashboard "fog" (pics)

Anyone ever experience this? see pics. In some light it doesn't look as bad as these pics, but it 'aint good. Driving me nuts.

I think it happened shortly after a car wash... the fog is on the inside. It doesn't look like moisture, but maybe it is? Any ideas to resolve??

Thanks!
Attached Images    
Old 07-14-2017, 11:21 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait. It will most likely dissipate. If moisture got in, it will eventually get out (assuming the humidity in the car is lower than in the gauges).
Old 07-14-2017, 11:24 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that is crazy. I don't have any advice for you but I seem to recall it's pretty easy to remove the instrument cluster on these cars. Do some googling on removing the cluster and maybe also on how to replace the dial faces as that would tell you how to get into the cluster.

I don't think waiting for it to dry out, if it does, is going to leave an acceptable result but that is worth a try too.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:31 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

thats not fog, that looks like its sprayed with some liquid, like car wash. I think you have some enter from behind the dash. I would take the gauge face off and see whats inside the cluster
Old 07-14-2017, 11:36 PM
Evilfrog
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That's dry whatever it is. It looks like water got in, and brought minerals with it. The water evaporated and left the minerals behind.

I think you'll have to remove the gauge face to clean it. I'm curious on how the water got in there, but I don't think I can offer any theories.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:03 PM
GBG
Pro

Thanks fellas. I think it is dried up water (minerals etc) from a car wash. I don't see how a car wash guy spraying the interior with a water bottle could've possibly caused water to get inside the clusters... a mystery. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll have my Indy remove the lenses from the instrument cluster and clean 'em. Hopefully it's easy. Thanks
Old 07-15-2017, 06:03 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the IMS blew and that's the spray from it....
Old 07-16-2017, 10:05 AM
GBG
Pro

Actually about 2 weeks ago I had my A/C system cleaned to remove mold/mildew... I believe the guy injects some sort of cleanser into the A/C vents... I'm now thinking that something in that process probably caused a delayed reaction this residue to form on the inside of the instrument clusters. Absent that half baked theory, it's a still a mystery because my original idea of a car wash guy's spraying water getting into the clusters just doesn't add up.

Thanks again for helpful comments.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:32 AM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GBG

Actually about 2 weeks ago I had my A/C system cleaned to remove mold/mildew... I believe the guy injects some sort of cleanser into the A/C vents... I'm now thinking that something in that process probably caused a delayed reaction this residue to form on the inside of the instrument clusters. Absent that half baked theory, it's a still a mystery because my original idea of a car wash guy's spraying water getting into the clusters just doesn't add up.

Thanks again for helpful comments.
I'd guess that the car wash sprayed something in the interior and left it to dry. You might try some detailing plastic polish like NOVUS that could remove the contaminant but not scratch the surface. Thinking it is on the exterior of the lens.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

I have a complete black face MT gauge cluster for sale in the Marketplace should you need to replace it. $750 shipped.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:27 AM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd think about the cluster!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:28 PM
LonestarPorsche
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you 100% sure its on the inside? I have seen many "Chemical Lens Etching" in my profession and it does sometimes appear that its on the inside because when you wipe on it, it doesn't come off, so people assume its on the inside. What usually happens is there is a plastic lens coating on some cars to reduce glare and fog. When a carwash place uses "plastic and trim" dressing that is silicone based, it will etch the protective cover. Spray it with ammonia free glass cleaner, if the milkiness disappears temporary, then its on the outside.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:00 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by LonestarPorsche
Are you 100% sure its on the inside? I have seen many "Chemical Lens Etching" in my profession and it does sometimes appear that its on the inside because when you wipe on it, it doesn't come off, so people assume its on the inside. What usually happens is there is a plastic lens coating on some cars to reduce glare and fog. When a carwash place uses "plastic and trim" dressing that is silicone based, it will etch the protective cover. Spray it with ammonia free glass cleaner, if the milkiness disappears temporary, then its on the outside.
+1 I bet this is outside. At the car wash do they clean the inside of your car. If so someone sprayed something and it dried.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:28 PM
porscheatx
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This happened to mine, I used McGuires PlasticX (used for headlight lens fog) and it took it right off.

Quick Reply: Dashboard "fog" (pics)