Sponsored by:

Mod a 996, how crazy am I?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:59 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Mod a 996, how crazy am I?

I currently have four hobby cars but due to space, time, and the fact I'm not a carb guy I'm going to sell two. My 78 corvette will go and so will my 87 944. I considered doing an ls swap in the 944 but it's an honest 15k adventure.

So then I started thinking what about focusing on my two favorite cars? For about $12 k more my 91 ZR-1 will be all sorted and making around 500 hp and looking awessome.

So the 996 I want to do the exhaust, a full body kit, and custom wheels along with a few other shiny bits. So for around 10k, I can have a 996 that looks like no other. I have a fairly specific plan.

Then after another few years do the engine right like a FSI HPDE build. I'm already eying the online course for this year and engine class next year. A 350-400 hp 996 with a unique look would be a blast to own.

Figure getting both cars to this point is a 4 year plan. Am I insane? Does it matter? I really don't plan on selling either of these. And later I'd add a boxster or boxster s for the wife and I to tool around in. She likes the special edition orange 08.

So if you could be this loco, would you?
Old 07-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

if you want an honest 400hp that doesn't make your wallet sweat you should look into a renegade, the M96 is not really an engine for maximum HP.

Or you could do something like a 997.2 DFI engine swap? still will cost $$$$$
Old 07-04-2017, 10:22 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS

Figure getting both cars to this point is a 4 year plan. Am I insane? Does it matter? I really don't plan on selling either of these. And later I'd add a boxster or boxster s for the wife and I to tool around in. She likes the special edition orange 08.

So if you could be this loco, would you?
Doesn't sound insane to me. You're downsizing the herd and dedicating resources to the cars you really want. IMO, the key statement is, "I really don't plan on selling either of these."

If you plan on selling a car, its value is what the market says it is. If you don't plan on selling a car -- and don't anticipate a situation where you'd have to sell a car to raise cash -- then the only value that matters is what the car is worth to you.

At some point, I intend to send my car to FSI to have it rebuilt to a 3.6 street engine. After that, I'll probably need defined-value insurance because "book value" will be so far out of whack relative to replacement cost. In terms of market value, it'll make no sense whatsoever; to me, I'm sure it'll be worth every penny.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:08 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

I believe FSI can get me between 350 and 400 hp and keep the great flat six sound and balance of the car. I took my first step off the deep end today. I ordered my side skirts and exhaust tips. I will probably send my mufflers to be fistered soon. I will probably do headers and an IPD plenum around the same time. This Christmas I will get the front bumper and rear spoiler. Once they've been painted and installed I will reveal my body kit of choice. Then I will get my custom wheels next. After that I will tack on a few items here and there while I save for a 3.6 to 3.8l powerhouse.

I plan to have a 996 like no one else's.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:23 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

If you are going to drop that kind of coin on a motor from FSI, why not just get a turbo as a base car and modify the body on that. Youd be much better off imo.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:19 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^yup. Sell the car and use the funds from that and your mod money to get into a turbo. You'll be at 400+ HP right away with a much more reliable platform to work on form there.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:27 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Because the wife and I are attached to this car. And I want something unique. Crazy, yes. And besides my wife questions my sanity whenever I sell or buy another car, but car parts she never asks....
Old 07-05-2017, 10:29 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
^yup. Sell the car and use the funds from that and your mod money to get into a turbo. You'll be at 400+ HP right away with a much more reliable platform to work on form there.
Don't think the turbo is a cheaper platform to run. More expensive on the buy and in regular maintenance. Also heavier by a substantial amount.

Apples to oranges, people have been modifying n/a Carreras for almost 60 years.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:34 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Because the wife and I are attached to this car. And I want something unique. Crazy, yes. And besides my wife questions my sanity whenever I sell or buy another car, but car parts she never asks....
Well to answer your original question then on a scale of 1-10 id give you a solid 7.5 on the crazy scale.

Score based on emotional attachment to car (which clouds reasoning) and apparent disregard for economical spending (spending high amounts of money on the M96 engine to make relatively reliable compared to the Mezger motor).
Old 07-05-2017, 11:54 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Don't think the turbo is a cheaper platform to run. More expensive on the buy and in regular maintenance.
I've seen this statement a lot. But, after owning both a NA 996 and a 996TT, I am not completely convinced of this. Generally, the hydraulic spoiler is seen as a major expense, but aftermarket fixes (there are two developed by Rennlisters) have basically eliminated this problem. Brakes (with the exception of the PCCBs) & tires are going to be the same as the C4S. Yes, turbos, but other than wastegate actuators ($250 + minimal labor), not a lot of maintenance there. No AOS problems in a 996TT like you have in the M96. You don't have the cost of replacing the IMS bearing in a 996TT. Oil changes, fluid flushes the same. Interior bits & pieces the same. I feel that the maintenance costs on both is pretty comparable.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:58 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by kcattorney
I've seen this statement a lot. But, after owning both a NA 996 and a 996TT, I am not completely convinced of this. Generally, the hydraulic spoiler is seen as a major expense, but aftermarket fixes (there are two developed by Rennlisters) have basically eliminated this problem. Brakes (with the exception of the PCCBs) & tires are going to be the same as the C4S. Yes, turbos, but other than wastegate actuators ($250 + minimal labor), not a lot of maintenance there. No AOS problems in a 996TT like you have in the M96. You don't have the cost of replacing the IMS bearing in a 996TT. Oil changes, fluid flushes the same. Interior bits & pieces the same. I feel that the maintenance costs on both is pretty comparable.
Agreed. I owned both as well and the cost has pretty much been the same as far as i can tell.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:28 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

:thumbs up:
Old 07-05-2017, 12:39 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

:thumbs up:
Tony - not saying you're wrong, just that my experience hasn't panned out that way. I'm absolutely certain that when in for repair, the "Porsche tax" gets increased to "Porsche Turbo Tax".
(Hey,wait a tick, "Turbo Tax", get it? I may have just created a new "FRUNKenstein"!!)

Old 07-05-2017, 12:51 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

No worries, I appreciate guys that know both cars chiming in. It educates me
Old 07-05-2017, 01:48 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

mi
Don't think the turbo is a cheaper platform to run. More expensive on the buy and in regular maintenance. Also heavier by a substantial amount.
Apples to oranges, people have been modifying n/a Carreras for almost 60 years.
I never said it was chaper to run. he wants 400hp. Im not near that and have 4.0 N/A. it would take a lot more money for me to get to 400 reliable NA WHP in my car. I've already spent turbo car money in this car and engine build.

Quick Reply: Mod a 996, how crazy am I?