Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help! Cant stream music on 997.2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There are SOOO many variations of technology at play in the thread...

1) If its the iPhone 7 that Apple again screwed car owners (recall they took the 12v charging pin out of the 30pin ports that necessitated the whole Y cable that also ties up the USB port to get the 5v power) -by removing the analog 3.5mm headphone out port from - it could well be an issue there with the phone/its dongle required hardware to get the analog 3.5mm jack output.

2) I've had no issues using an iPod nano plugged into the Y cable. The non-y original cable worked well with my iPod of old, but didn't properly power/shut down the iPod so it always died/reset the playlist. No issues since moving to the Nano.

3) Streaming (that is playing music over a wireless connection - has never been supported on a 911 class car through the entire 997.2 generation. No surprise there. The 997.2 was the first to finally get ANY bluetooth - so that hands-free profile bluetooth was available was a giant leap for 997.2 owners.
Playing music via the aux cable isn't streaming.

4) To use the analog AUX path (3.5mm audio jack) you do need to select the AUX source in the PCM by pressing on the DISC button until you have chosen it. No control or data in the display, just audio out via your car's amp.

5) The iPod source (again select via using the DISC button) only uses the DIN plug - to - 30pin apple interface cable (and its y leg for 5vdc from the USB port). That lets you control the playlist, etc and show track information.

6) The USB port source - requires a compatible USB flash drive, with the right file format (FAT, not NTFS or unix flavors), and well behaved folder structures and file types (encodings), and keeping the non-audio files out of it. That can show some information about the track I think (MP3 and other metadata), but I've not used it in a while so I cannot be sure.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:53 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

And for the 997.1 guys with a Dension Bluetooth connection. My 32 pin apple connector works with the old IPods. If you want to use a 5 pin adaptor, the cheap imports won't work. Spent $25 or $30 to get an Apple adaptor
Old 06-30-2017, 04:12 AM
FlexFuelBug09997
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Aux option appearing

Originally Posted by love2drive
for my 2012 GTS (997.2) I use a Bluetooth to aux dongle from best buy (around $30) to connect my phone (either iphone 7S or Samsung S8+.... both work). must switch source to aux. that way, you can have your phone calls connected through pcm bluetooth (if your car has it) and your phones media (gps, youtube, pandora...) audio go to the dongle. A problem is, the dongle has short battery life. if you try and charge it through usb or cigarette lighter jack, you'll get audible whine to the speakers. A way around this is to use a portable charged batterry to keep dongle charged. That should last a week or so until you'll need to recharge the portable battery through car's usb. That might take a few hours at which can be accomplished (with Porsches thankfully) while car is parked and off. You can also charge while car on but you'll get the audible whine.

Cars without an aux input will need to use a radio dongle which connects to a radio channel as opposed to the aux input. These solutions require no installation. Other route is to switch audio system to a modern aftermarket.

if by chance, you have the aux and bluetooth option on your car but can't seem to get source to get to it, a little known fact is..it must be enabled. for me, this was done through the CD options through PCM settings options. This is not obvious stuff. pm me if you need help with this.
Hey there. Thanks so much for the info. You mention that AUX must be enabled for it to appear-could you please let me know how this is? I have a bluetooth dongle ready but without the AUX option appearing under Source, this dongle is pretty much useless. Help!!
Old 06-30-2017, 09:01 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

You probably need to go to the dealer to pay to get it activated...
Old 06-30-2017, 08:31 PM
FlexFuelBug09997
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DC911S
You probably need to go to the dealer to pay to get it activated...
I will let them know next time I go there. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2017, 11:34 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 110 Posts

If the Aux input doesn't come up when you press Disc, try putting a CD into the player and then pressing Disc. The Aux should then show up (or at least it did on mine!).
Old 06-30-2017, 11:39 PM
FlexFuelBug09997
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
If the Aux input doesn't come up when you press Disc, try putting a CD into the player and then pressing Disc. The Aux should then show up (or at least it did on mine!).
Yes, I got it to work a few minutes ago doing what you said. Ahhhh, what a relief! AUX!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2017, 04:24 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FlexFuelBug09997
Yes, I got it to work a few minutes ago doing what you said. Ahhhh, what a relief! AUX!!!!!!!!
I'm glad you figured it out. I just saw your response/request.. yep, I had to do the same thing after alotta frustration, I found out you have to put a CD in to get the options menus to show aux enable. ridiculous I know. just an example of how Porsche lagged behind the industry in electronics until the 991.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:27 AM
horacethefrog
1st Gear

Thank you folks, this was making me tear out what little hair I have left. I bought a 997.2 C4S Cab a couple of months ago, plugged in a USB Bluetooth adapter under the armrest and Aux was working straight away. Then I disconnected the battery in the course of fitting a socket for a battery conditioner and the Aux source option disappeared. The design of the interface is so mind bogglingly stupid I'm almost lost for words - why on earth should it be necessary to insert a CD (who has those these days? I had to go in the loft to find one) in order to enable the Aux input as an option? I think it's a bit worse than Porsche lagging behind the industry as suggested above.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:39 PM
AmericanSuccess
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

The thing I find odd is in the handbook it says the head Unit has Bluetooth audio streaming??
Old 09-13-2021, 01:13 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts

Best to get a bovee adapter that simulates the iPod function so you can navigate your music library on the head unit, get track names, change tracks via the buttons, etc.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:37 PM
tegarcia007
1st Gear

Default Bovee & Tooki

Originally Posted by jayzbird
Best to get a bovee adapter that simulates the iPod function so you can navigate your music library on the head unit, get track names, change tracks via the buttons, etc.
I’m a newbie 997.1 TT owner, the car came with Tooki Porsche Bluetooth for phone integration through the PCM (does not play music unless through just 1 speaker like a mentioned in a previous post). So I bought the Bovee 1000 to stream music from my phone via the existing 30 pin cable in the glove box. Music was playing great until a call came in on the Tooki. Phone began to ring, music stopped playing, and when phone call was over the Bovee was no longer connected to my phone’s Bluetooth and did not show up on the available Bluetooth devices in my phone’s Bluetooth settings. Am I missing something simple, or does anyone know if there is a workaround to get these 2 systems to work together?

Quick Reply: Please Help! Cant stream music on 997.2?