Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Will I be able to order a GT4 without any drama?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:39 AM
gt3racerich
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Will I be able to order a GT4 without any drama?

I think I would like to order a GT4 to my specs when they are next available.
I have been through all the crap surounding ordering a GT3RS a couple of times since they were available in the US and it really put a sour taste in my mouth.
I am not looking to go through that again.
Will it be the same when the GT4 is available? I was not interested in the car when they were last made so I do not know how it went down.
Also, we are fairly new to eastern PA. Any dealer recommendations, or thoughts either way would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Rich
Old 06-07-2017, 10:46 AM
06C2s
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

^^Doubtful, economy is good, money cheap too many ppl that will want one thinking they can drive for a yr or so and sell for same cost or profit. Sucks as I really want the whole experience of ordering my exact spec and doing European delivery.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:41 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 188 Posts

Find a dealer you like, let them know you're serious, that you're a rennlist member who can speak well of your experience with them (or not), and put down a deposit to get on the order list now. Consider sending a PM to forum member needmoregarage, who has taken delivery of two GT4s and a GT3RS in recent years. She's located in PA, although western, and could likely point you to good dealers in the area. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:42 AM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

PAG has provided no hints of a new GT4, but assume there will be one based on the success of the original model. The question that has been asked and unanswered is will they go with a 991.2 turbo motor, de-tune the new 991.2 GT3 motor, use the 991.1 GT3 motor or develop a new NA motor. Highly doubtful on the last 2 options.

I think they go with de-tuned 991.2 GT3 motor and skip the base GT4 and go straight GT4 RS.
Chet
Old 06-07-2017, 12:18 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

I had same thought. Most of the drama is self imposed, with the help of some genius marketing by Porsche amplified by we enthusiasts. But, good news - Porsche sales plans repeat themselves over and over so we know exactly how it will play out.

Like many wise people here say; get with a dealer you can trust. Get on his list. Be patient and persistent and you'll get a car.

Truly limited edition cars such as the GT3R and upcoming GT2 are another game entirely.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:37 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 134 Posts

I was able to order a basically stripped GT4 to my specs at MSRP from Porsche of Conshohocken. Everything went smoothly and I recommend them.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:46 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

In very general terms:
991.3 GT3 - Went through some cycles. First Pdk gt3 so initial demand wasn't crazy until reviews came. Was sometimes very hard to get, but because of the stop order and extra allocations suddenly dropping, if you wanted to order one new and were diligent, eventually you should have been able to find one. At MSRP. If you failed to do so, likely you were late to the game or were not diligent.

991.1 RS: pretty darn difficult in short unless willing to pay ADM.

981.1 GT4: if you came late to the game, it was moderately hard or you had to pay over MSRP. Many 918 owners bought them only to sell shortly thereafter. Porsche underestimated demand somewhat, but these were not nearly as hard to get as the RS.

991.2 GT3: Harder to get than 991.1 and GT4 but not as hard as RS.

Pure speculation but I expect the next GT4 to be more in demand that the current one, but that will be offset somewhat by higher production numbers and probably a higher price. But hopefully easier then 991.2 gt3.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
In very general terms:
991.3 GT3 - Went through some cycles. First Pdk gt3 so initial demand wasn't crazy until reviews came. Was sometimes very hard to get, but because of the stop order and extra allocations suddenly dropping, if you wanted to order one new and were diligent, eventually you should have been able to find one. At MSRP. If you failed to do so, likely you were late to the game or were not diligent.

991.1 RS: pretty darn difficult in short unless willing to pay ADM.

981.1 GT4: if you came late to the game, it was moderately hard or you had to pay over MSRP. Many 918 owners bought them only to sell shortly thereafter. Porsche underestimated demand somewhat, but these were not nearly as hard to get as the RS.

991.2 GT3: Harder to get than 991.1 and GT4 but not as hard as RS.

Pure speculation but I expect the next GT4 to be more in demand that the current one, but that will be offset somewhat by higher production numbers and probably a higher price. But hopefully easier then 991.2 gt3.
Agree on all points except the 991.2 GT3. Initial demand will garner a premium but these cars will be built in greater numbers than the .1 variant. VW took a beating with the diesel scandal. I'd expect they will sell as many .2 GT3 as demanded. If you call around after the hype of the first 6-12 months fade, I'd expect someone would find an allocation.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:09 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

That's a fair point. I don't know what is going to happen with 991.2 gt3, so if that turns out to be available for everyone who wants one, then that bodes well for the GT4.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:35 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 169 Posts

Too early to tell, too many variables:

- Manual GT3 availability
- Turbo 4 vs. Flat 6
- new MSRP
- new production plan

If I had to guess though, less drama and higher production sounds like a win win.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,452 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by CME
PAG has provided no hints of a new GT4, but assume there will be one based on the success of the original model. The question that has been asked and unanswered is will they go with a 991.2 turbo motor, de-tune the new 991.2 GT3 motor, use the 991.1 GT3 motor or develop a new NA motor. Highly doubtful on the last 2 options.

I think they go with de-tuned 991.2 GT3 motor and skip the base GT4 and go straight GT4 RS.
Chet
This is what i am thinking. I just hope that they will make as many GT4RSs as they did GT4s but I think doubtful. Also-pricing will be interesting. Thinking in between 2016 GT4 and .2GT3 which will put pricing in the $120,000 MSRP range which again could be a bargain.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:03 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 238 Posts

If I were Porsche, this is what I would do, and my current theory for what I think they will do...

I would make a GT4 RS mainly for homologation into the GT4 racing class. The current GT4 in US racing series like the Pirelli World Challenge and IMSA is the limiter for the whole field. The GT4 runs maxed out and all the other cars get throttle limitations to bring them down to the Cayman level. I would make just enough RS's to meet homologation rules and price it high to fit in the hierarchy with the other GT cars. It would be NA with the GT3 4.0 de-tuned by some amount to fit in the hierarchy. It would be near impossible to get for non VIP's. Maybe even tough for them. This would prevent it from upsetting GT3 and other 911 sales.

I would also make a regular GT4 using the turbo 4. It would be faster than the GTS but fit nicely in the hierarchy. Availability would be relatively high and the price would be 10-15% more than the 981 GT4. This would bring more credibility to the 4 banger by putting it the "halo car" of the category and open the door for future "regular" GT cars being turbo (excluding GT2).
Old 06-07-2017, 05:12 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

There are some more badass GT4s coming next year too...not to mention the new ones this year...it's a crowded field...at least the Caymans run often on full auto which is mental!!

As it is they added all the light weight panels, etc, last year to help the caymans be competitive.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
... but these cars will be built in greater numbers than the .1 variant.
Story on German forums is that many people who ordered one with 2018 allocation got a call today that the dealership got more allocations for 2017 and they can get their car in autumn.... I can see this one coming in big numbers....
Old 06-07-2017, 10:21 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,355 Likes on 826 Posts

Originally Posted by sonorous
If I were Porsche, this is what I would do, and my current theory for what I think they will do...

I would make a GT4 RS mainly for homologation into the GT4 racing class. The current GT4 in US racing series like the Pirelli World Challenge and IMSA is the limiter for the whole field. The GT4 runs maxed out and all the other cars get throttle limitations to bring them down to the Cayman level. I would make just enough RS's to meet homologation rules and price it high to fit in the hierarchy with the other GT cars. It would be NA with the GT3 4.0 de-tuned by some amount to fit in the hierarchy. It would be near impossible to get for non VIP's. Maybe even tough for them. This would prevent it from upsetting GT3 and other 911 sales.

I would also make a regular GT4 using the turbo 4. It would be faster than the GTS but fit nicely in the hierarchy. Availability would be relatively high and the price would be 10-15% more than the 981 GT4. This would bring more credibility to the 4 banger by putting it the "halo car" of the category and open the door for future "regular" GT cars being turbo (excluding GT2).
Oh please

Originally Posted by Sven76
Story on German forums is that many people who ordered one with 2018 allocation got a call today that the dealership got more allocations for 2017 and they can get their car in autumn.... I can see this one coming in big numbers....
Wrong forum. No new GT4(RS) yet.

Quick Reply: Will I be able to order a GT4 without any drama?