Sponsored by:

First post ever, could use some good 997 advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 12:15 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default First post ever, could use some good 997 advice

First off, please let me say thank you to all of the contributors who have posted here, your insights have made things so much more possible.

This is my first post,so apologies if I make mistakes.

I bought my first Porsche last fall, a 2008 997 C2S Cabriolet, and like most of you, I am blown away by the quality and driveability of it. Having now owned it for several months, there are some things about it that I could use some help on:

1). TPMS. I've started to notice that occasionally, the TPMS loses the tire pressure data, spits up the alert, and then goes away once I've started the relearning process. 20 mins later all is well. However, I suspect that the sensor batteries are nearing the end (it is 9 years old after all). I'm going to have to do the tires soon anyways - am I right in thinking it's time to replace them? is there anything proprietary about the sensors that demands I have to buy the Porsche branded ones, or can I get away with buying some 3rd party ones on something like Rock Auto.

2). Speaking of tires, what is your opinion on getting the N branded tires? I'm looking at Michelin Pilot Super sports, but is the N rating from Porsche really going to make a difference? (Note, I have been a Purist in the past with a couple of quite rare cars, but don't feel the same pressure with the 997)

3) Brake dust. Holy smokes, I think this thing generates more brake dust than any other car I've ever driven. I saw in another thread that Armor All Brake Dust repellent is the way to go. Thumbs up or down?

4) Headlights fogged. The headlight lenses appear to be slightly fogged in a circular pattern in the middle of the lens, but it appears to be on the inside of the lens. I've tried buffing them with restorer on the outside with no effect, which is partly why I think it's on the inside. Is it possible to get at the insides of the lenses and try to restore them?

5). Carrera badging. A little too vigourous buffing while detailing, and I caught the edge of my terry-towel on the tip of the C below the trunk lid and snapped it off, dammit. Kept it, but don't know how to put it back on. It's filled with what looks like a foam adhesive, and the piece is only about 3-4 inches long. Any recommendations on what to use to glue it back into place, or should I try the dental floss approach and remove/replace the entire Carrera badge?

6). The dreaded head unit discussion. I have the sport Chrono with the Bose system, and it's like a mosquito; I can live with it, but it drives me a little nuts. And I used to think CarPlay was a fad, but I just got it in my new truck and I'm blown away at how good and simple it is, and now I want it everywhere. I know there are lots of threads on this, so here's my sum:
  • a). I can replace the head unit, but I have to buy a MOST adapter to adapt the head unit to the fibre network which connects to the Bose amplifier. I believe the fibre network also drives the in-dash stuff, like trip odometer, nav etc. If I do this "hybrid" approach, will the in-dash stuff be retained? What about GPS?
  • B). Replace the head unit, and replace the Bose amp. Requires rewiring between head and amp. I would imagine I lose the in-dash computer stuff?
  • C) Leave it alone. I have Tooki Bluetooth (I sound terrible on the phone apparently) and a 30-pin iPod cable (that I added a lightning adapter to for use with iPhone). So basically I can use my phone for music, and Bluetooth telephone. So I could replace it all to get exactly what I already have. But it's so dated, and I like tech.
I find the sound quality is just OK. It's bit boomy, and the highs are quite bright - I'm not a fan of Bose in general, but it came with the car, and I don't see the need to replace all of the speakers or sub. I like the idea of the new Alpine wireless carplay unit because I don't need CD, or proprietary nav.

Thanks all, and enjoy your rides!
Old 06-04-2017, 12:32 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

tire shops have tpms readers that tell the signal strength. 7 yrs life.
buy sensible tires like bridgestone s04 and get some mileage
brake dust is forever, wash your car and wheels
have a detail shop refinish your headlites or look for some new ones on ebay, put clear film on them
buy new lettering from porsche or ebay
Old 06-04-2017, 12:34 PM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 06-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,507 Likes on 4,143 Posts

1). TPMS. Batteries are probably almost dead, which is the reason for the occasional loss of communication. As long as the new ones transmit on the correct frequency, you can use non-OEM ones just fine.

2). N-spec tires not necessary. I run Nitto Invos on my RUF 997 and Hankook Ventus Evo2s on my wifes DD 997 and am very happy with both for the way each car is used. The Invos are stickier with a shorter tread life, but she doesn't drive hers very hard and the tread wear and directional tread pattern work very well in the wet weather.

3) Brake dust. Try a pad replacement with Hawk Ceramics, which will greatly reduce the amount and color of the dust. Armor All Brake Dust Repellant spray does help though and I use it on all my non PCCB cars.

4) Headlights fogged. Someone in the Cayenne forum did a DIY about removing the headlight and introducing alcohol into the inside, swishing it around on the lens, and then evaporating it out which removed the fogging of the lens right in-front of where the bulb projects through. Maybe give this a try.

5). Carrera badging. Badges aren't very expensive and will come with new adhesive on the back. Make a border or alignment template of the current badge with the blue low-tack tape before removing it, and then use the dental floss method to remove the old badge, clean up the paint under it well, and adhere the new one. I might even have a Carrera S badge from my wife's 997 in the emblems drawer that you can have for half of a new one. Then just get the 3M trim tape, clean off the back of the badge well, apply the new trim tape, trim with a sharp razor knife, install it back onto the car, and you're back in business.

6). The dreaded head unit discussion. Can't help you with this one but there are plenty of threads where people have upgraded their stock PCM units to aftermarket with good success.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:52 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent

1). TPMS. I've started to notice that occasionally, the TPMS loses the tire pressure data, spits up the alert, and then goes away once I've started the relearning process. 20 mins later all is well. However, I suspect that the sensor batteries are nearing the end (it is 9 years old after all). I'm going to have to do the tires soon anyways - am I right in thinking it's time to replace them? is there anything proprietary about the sensors that demands I have to buy the Porsche branded ones, or can I get away with buying some 3rd party ones on something like Rock Auto.

You can get aftermarket sensors but they have to be 433 MHz and preferably with the metal stem. I bought mine at discount tire and they had a set which cost me $480 out the door.

2). Speaking of tires, what is your opinion on getting the N branded tires? I'm looking at Michelin Pilot Super sports, but is the N rating from Porsche really going to make a difference? (Note, I have been a Purist in the past with a couple of quite rare cars, but don't feel the same pressure with the 997)

Yes it makes a big difference especially in the front end.
The N rated tire has an 87 Y rating for the front which you can't get from an aftermarket tire. Because the engine is in the rear, the front end is very light and most aftermarket tires only offer a 91 Y or greater which utilizes a stiffer side while. This can make bumps very harsh when driving and therefore most drivers compensate by lowering the PSI of the front tires. 87 vs. 91 Y can be the difference of 300 lbs and with ABS this can throw off the cars driving dynamics.

3) Brake dust. Holy smokes, I think this thing generates more brake dust than any other car I've ever driven. I saw in another thread that Armor All Brake Dust repellent is the way to go. Thumbs up or down?

This is normal. The only real upgrade you can make to greatly reduce the dust is to replace the metallic pads with ceramic pads. This however will reduce braking power during cold operating temperatures.

4) Headlights fogged. The headlight lenses appear to be slightly fogged in a circular pattern in the middle of the lens, but it appears to be on the inside of the lens. I've tried buffing them with restorer on the outside with no effect, which is partly why I think it's on the inside. Is it possible to get at the insides of the lenses and try to restore them?

3M sells a kit that you can find at Autozone which requires some manual labor. Should be easy to cleanup.

5). Carrera badging. A little too vigourous buffing while detailing, and I caught the edge of my terry-towel on the tip of the C below the trunk lid and snapped it off, dammit. Kept it, but don't know how to put it back on. It's filled with what looks like a foam adhesive, and the piece is only about 3-4 inches long. Any recommendations on what to use to glue it back into place, or should I try the dental floss approach and remove/replace the entire Carrera badge?

I would replace the C only.

6). The dreaded head unit discussion. I have the sport Chrono with the Bose system, and it's like a mosquito; I can live with it, but it drives me a little nuts. And I used to think CarPlay was a fad, but I just got it in my new truck and I'm blown away at how good and simple it is, and now I want it everywhere. I know there are lots of threads on this, so here's my sum:
  • a). I can replace the head unit, but I have to buy a MOST adapter to adapt the head unit to the fibre network which connects to the Bose amplifier. I believe the fibre network also drives the in-dash stuff, like trip odometer, nav etc. If I do this "hybrid" approach, will the in-dash stuff be retained? What about GPS?
  • B). Replace the head unit, and replace the Bose amp. Requires rewiring between head and amp. I would imagine I lose the in-dash computer stuff?

Yes you will lose all functionality associated with the in-dash screen and with the sport chrono pages in the head unit. However, if done properly the sound is amazing and with apple carplay/android auto, who cares.
  • C) Leave it alone. I have Tooki Bluetooth (I sound terrible on the phone apparently) and a 30-pin iPod cable (that I added a lightning adapter to for use with iPhone). So basically I can use my phone for music, and Bluetooth telephone. So I could replace it all to get exactly what I already have. But it's so dated, and I like tech.
I find the sound quality is just OK. It's bit boomy, and the highs are quite bright - I'm not a fan of Bose in general, but it came with the car, and I don't see the need to replace all of the speakers or sub. I like the idea of the new Alpine wireless carplay unit because I don't need CD, or proprietary nav.

See comments
Old 06-21-2017, 05:06 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
First off, please let me say thank you to all of the contributors who have posted here, your insights have made things so much more possible.

This is my first post,so apologies if I make mistakes.

I bought my first Porsche last fall, a 2008 997 C2S Cabriolet, and like most of you, I am blown away by the quality and driveability of it. Having now owned it for several months, there are some things about it that I could use some help on:

Congrats on the new ride! I'm attaching a link to our site's DIY tech articles on the 997 platform - this will greatly help you if you're planning on doing the maintenance and repairs yourself. Please let us know if you have any questions!

Porsche Carrera 997 (2005-2012) Technical Articles
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Quick Reply: First post ever, could use some good 997 advice