Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 10:57 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
I think Porsche has already gone wild with the number of 911 versions.

What's wrong with the wing? It's there for a reason.
Rear seats? What for? You won't fit a child's seat. You would fit there a child but without head rest it's ridiculous risky.

Buy 991 GT3 and just get the wing off.
What's the next wish? Sport wagon? Air suspension? Towing hook? Panorama roof? FWD 911? Bigger cup holders?
Bingo. we should be wishing for less models, easier to spec and purchase, rather than yet another minimal variation. Having said this, if Porsche hadn't gone turbo on us, most of us would be perfectly happy with a GTS in this scenario. It's only because we want NA that we have to all go for GT status now... so silly (not us, we are all very very smart. I'm saying Porsche is silly of course)
Old 06-04-2017, 11:29 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Bingo. we should be wishing for less models, easier to spec and purchase, rather than yet another minimal variation. Having said this, if Porsche hadn't gone turbo on us, most of us would be perfectly happy with a GTS in this scenario. It's only because we want NA that we have to all go for GT status now... so silly (not us, we are all very very smart. I'm saying Porsche is silly of course)
Some of the most hardcore Porsche guys I know want back seats. Guys that would DD and track it- more hardcore and enthusiastic car guys than you and I will ever be.

I get not wanting to dilute the GT "brand", and I've been on the other side of this argument. Some of Porsche's best cars are compromised- 964 RS and RS America through to the GT4 and R. Manual transmission only for example makes a statement, and something is lost if you water that down with PDK (or back seats).

That said if you rebrand it (911R, etc) I can see no argument to not making rear seats available. I actually think in many ways more legit: cool like a fast wagon- personally I lust after an Audi RS avant that can eat Ferraris alive on the autobahn with the kids in back. I've always particularly appreciated both using a car and breadth of ability:

Meanwhile both the weight and wing improvement are marginal at best- fresh rubber will make a bigger lap time difference at nearly every event, and I'll happily shake the guy's hand who can beat me in at the autocross in their PDKed, winged, no back seat GT3 if I'm running my touring. Because if you're not coming with 1/4 tank and filling at lunch you're not going to have nearly the advantage you imagine...

Personally I probably would not opt for the rear seats, but particularly on a touring version (the one I'll likely order if available) I'd have no issue if the option were available. If you get the wing we can head over to Alameda one morning and see if it makes any difference against the clock...

FYI, I'm pretty sure the hardpoints for seat belts are integrated into the shell as they were on previous GT cars, so adding seats is an option for the committed. Or there are kits that pick up those hard points and let you add a car seat. That's about all the rear is good for anyway, which is why I'll still lust after my wagon...
Old 06-04-2017, 11:31 AM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw an an original touring today at Greenwich…

Old 06-04-2017, 11:42 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Bingo. we should be wishing for less models, easier to spec and purchase, rather than yet another minimal variation.
Exactly. Folks in the USSR had it best. Choice of three cars: Lada, Moskvitch, or Volga, no models, no options. Want a car? Get a car. Done.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:05 PM
porscharu
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If Porsche offered a touring package with a manual, no wing, and back seat some would complain that you couldn't delete the back seat. It never ends.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:13 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by porscharu
If Porsche offered a touring package with a manual, no wing, and back seat some would complain that you couldn't delete the back seat. It never ends.
haha.. YES!!!!...

welcome to the inanity (no i didn't misspell insanity)
Old 06-04-2017, 12:26 PM
mm1
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Rear seats? What for? You won't fit a child's seat. You would fit there a child but without head rest it's ridiculous risky.
I've put kids in both child seats and without (depending on seat belt location and age) in my 997s and my son sat in the back of a 991 with ease. A GT3 with rear seats/4.0 NA & 9k is more attractive than the manual to me. I don't want a .2 in any version with Turbo.

Let me google that for you...
Old 06-04-2017, 12:56 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mm1
I've put kids in both child seats and without (depending on seat belt location and age) in my 997s and my son sat in the back of a 991 with ease. A GT3 with rear seats/4.0 NA & 9k is more attractive than the manual to me. I don't want a .2 in any version with Turbo.

Let me google that for you...
I know children have fun to be squeezed just anywhere.
My X5 has room just to fit the seat base, child seat and believe me there is not much space for their legs left. I don't know how you can fit there anything but a terrier.
In my opinion seats without headrests should be actually banned. 30km/h is enough to break a child's neck if seated without head support and ran over from behind.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 669 Posts

In my opinion seats without headrests should be actually banned. 30km/h is enough to break a child's neck if seated without head support and ran over from behind.
Agree with this
Old 06-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

My X5 has room just to fit the seat base, child seat and believe me there is not much space for their legs left. I don't know how you can fit there anything but a terrier.
I agree. But, don't those child seats have headrests ? In fact their design is probably safer than an 18 way (if properly anchored and the seat is of good quality).

The lack of airbags is a separate issue.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:03 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 71 Posts

God must have left all of you asking for TP.
Go buy GTS.
I'd love to, if the GTS wasn't just a bigger turbo.

I would have loved to see them put this new detuned 4.0 along with the 6-speed (which is mechanically different, not just one less gear) in the pedestrian 911.

Hell I don't even want a GT3--I just want the best NA engine available mated to a rod-operated manual transmission. You can dial in as much of the steering feel as you want between a C2 and a GT3 by swapping parts, but you can't just swap engines/transmission.

Honestly I'm a bit confused at why there are so many different models. For other manufacturers these are options within a car. AWD or 2WD? Engine size? Maybe convertible is justified. It should just be:

Carrera (C2, C4, C2S, C4S, GTS, GTS4, Targa, Targa4, Turbo, TurboS)
Carrera Cab (convertibles)
GT3 (GT3, GT3RS)

I don't want to "remove" the wing from a GT3. I want to add the NA 4.0 and 6-speed rod-operated manual to the Carrera.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:07 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

My actual car, my kids love it, plenty of room for them.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9398...l#post14015841
Old 06-20-2017, 06:48 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

What does the touring package consist of?
Old 06-21-2017, 12:07 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
What does the touring package consist of?
nothing, hasn't been announced, just rumors from the cleaning lady.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:08 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

So what's the latest cleaning lady info?

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 will come with "Touring Package" option