Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NA ignition timing - critique my table

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 01:49 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Default NA ignition timing - critique my table

My NA has been running a standalone for about 2 years now with great success, but I'm looking to further refine my tune. A dyno tune isn't really in the cards right now... just moved, bought a new car, and my tune is already pretty solid.

I'm running 93 pump gas, which contains 5-15% ethanol in my area. How does this table look to those who have first hand experience tuning these cars? My "base timing" (offset from TDC to the crank sensor) is spot on, and has been verified using a digital timing light. The Y axis is load, in manifold pressure (kPa) and of course X is RPM.

For more advanced tuning guys, here's a page with the basic tune data:
http://msqur.com/view.php?msq=81

I also have the .msq on hand, which shows some stuff the above link doesn't. But the main thing right now is the ignition timing. I'm not hearing knock anywhere, in the classic sense....where it's a sharp metallic pinging. I'm getting a noise under load sometimes that sounds almost like a faint squealing, yet I know it's not a belt or something. I'm wondering if it's trans related but want to see what the consensus is on this ignition advance map.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 505 Posts

buy a bosch knock sensor and plug and a looong cheap audio AUX cable (male-male)
trim one end off the cable and connect the wire and shielding each to a pin on the knock sensor plug
run other end of cable into car and plug into your radio's AUX input (or your phone i guess if it will do that?)
bolt knock sensor to block near factory 951 location

you can now listen for knock via your car stereo...worked great for me.
if i remember ill post up my current table later.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:14 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a Bosch knock sensor actually, that I am going to use for my 951 build. I think the spot on the 951 is present on the early blocks - right where the aux. air valve mounts, right? There are 2 tapped holes on a padeye, between cyls 2 & 3.

Quick Reply: NA ignition timing - critique my table