Notices

Help choosing first car in Canada for DD? 981/987,GolfR

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Martin Ritchie
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help choosing first car in Canada for DD? 981/987,GolfR

Hi, I've just moved to Canada and I'm seriously looking at the 981(Cayman R, if I can find a Peridot with buckets and ideally 6MT & PCCB) or 987 (Cayman/Boxster S). Would be good to get a classic flat 6 to go alongside some future electric DD.

In the short term though I just don't know what these might be like to drive in the crazy Canadian winters. All the salt in and extreme weather seems like things to avoid in a Porsche. Is it best just to tuck it up in a garage both in terms of wear and tear as well as avoiding ice driving (though our commute is likely to be super short <10km)?

Given I only have one outside space this year (garage will be built by next winter) and the electric options seem like they are all getting facelifts/improvements later in the year/next year(i3/Model3). I'm thinking now might be a good time to get the Porsche.

Just looking for a 3rd opinion as my brain keeps going round all the options. Cayman R classic but most extreme ride, Boxster S more easy going but are either really suitable for being outdoors in Canadian winters?

The final thought is to go for something more everyday, say a Golf R with its awd, surely a better option for the winter, but that might negate the ability to swap to a 987/981 later.

Guidance from the Rennlist Canada gurus is greatly appreciated. (Oh and and is there any pitfalls about buying out of province that I should worry about? Sorry for so many things in one post)
Old 05-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Note that there wasn't a 981 Cayman R. I expect you'd want a GTS.

For the winter, remember that much of the car is aluminum so corrosion is less of an issue. If you take care of it, it'll be fine from that perspective.

I suggest you look for a car with PTV (Torque Vectoring) as that includes a limited slip differential which you'll want in the winter.

Other than that, so long as you get winter tires and avoid particularly deep snow (which we only have on the roads 3 or 4 days a year in Toronto) I think it's a great winter daily. Proper tires will give you the grip you want to be safe and the car itself will give you plenty of opportunity for fun when you want it.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:55 AM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Ritchie
Hi, I've just moved to Canada
Hello. I wouldn't consider anything that isn't all wheel drive and very comfortable for daily driving
Old 05-30-2017, 12:18 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to Canada!
In my opinion, the biggest concern is the less than 10km commute. It takes a good 15 km to warm up the engine oil, and even more to warm up the transmission oil, especially in the winter. The vehicle you choose will be subject to accelerated mechanical wear and tear due to cold start and not reaching operating temperature. For that reason, I would pick a more "disposable" vehicle (Golf R seems to be a good choice). But if you decide to go for a modern Porsche (it will do very well in the Toronto winter by the way), make sure you take the long way to work ��
Old 05-30-2017, 12:22 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

"Originally Posted by Martin Ritchie View Post
Hi, I've just moved to Canada"
"red996
Hello. I wouldn't consider anything that isn't all wheel drive and very comfortable for daily driving"

Moving from a snowy city, to a snowy city. Or Hawaii to Toronto?
1okm commute? Depending on where you are? is 5 min to 9o minutes. 9o minutes in a two wheel drive, summer tired car will seem like an eternity. Cayman/996/997 with four fresh snow tires will be fine for a short commute, with only a few days or alternative transport for deep snow, car parked days.
2 seater or 4 seater, warranty and dealership service?

Nervous nellie? Golf R
Attached Images  

Last edited by BIG smoke; 05-30-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:17 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 145 Posts

I know several people who DD there porsche 911's, but they are all c4's.. lol they live downtown and know that in snow storms they aren't driving anywhere..
More so because they know some fool will/can crash into them..

While it can easily be done, it's much easier in an AWD vehicle with good ground clearance
Old 05-30-2017, 04:19 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 345 Posts

2wd 911's/Cayman-Boxster all do very well in winter...0 need for awd in Ontario unless in the boonies and really needing a 4x4 truck... LSD is a big bonus however...
Old 05-30-2017, 11:50 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

I drove my 997 C4s daily for two years, 40km return from the West end into the downtown core. Never had a single day when it was even close to being an issue. I even do daycare duty daily, with two child car seats in the back. Throw a good set of snow tires on these cars, and they perform amazingly in the winter. And, they are honestly a blast to drive.

Winter mode

Now, just recently, I have done all kinds of mods, including lowering the car, replacing all the suspension bits with monoball equiped pieces (dont like salt,) and converting to RWD. Ill also be adding a GT3 front bumper, with Cup lip, which means Ill have very little clearance in the front. With all the changes, I wont be driving it in the snow another year. The main reason is the clearance. It will more or less be a snow plow once the bodywork is complete.

Current setup

The 911, even RWD, is amazing in the snow. The rear engine design is just like having 20 bags of salt in the trunk. That being said, your Cayman R in Peridot with buckets in 6spd is my holy grail. So, if you find that car, please, just buy it. Or at least gift it to me. Seriously, if you find that exact car, buy and UBER it on the snow days. Or walk to work. Just get it.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:46 AM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to Canada.

Not sure if you have heard the term "Winter Beater" but it is very popular here in Winnipeg. IMO, even a Golf R is too precious to winter drive. Its not only the salt, but the snow drifts and random chunks of snow/ice that can be bumper breakers.

I have a Toyota Rav4 as a daily. Warranty and zero cares. Summer weekends is for the 993.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:48 PM
bmichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just picked up a Golf R to go along with the 964.
It's fun, fast and practical so I've got no regrets but it's still a poser compared to the Porsche.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:01 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

Michael, isn't the R a lot faster than the 964? If so then it is not a poser. Carry on.
One issue with driving pcars in salt is the aluminum gets pitted pretty quick, and fasteners stick.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:51 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I had a 2017 Golf R for four weeks. Sold it and bought a 2013 Mini Cooper JCW. Half the price and twice the fun.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:03 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a '17 GTI to go with my 964. The GTI is faster than my 964. It's an excellent daily driver. You don't need all wheel drive in the Greater Golden Horseshoe. I drove an '13 BMW M5 through the winter. Not an issue.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:12 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by The Stig
I have a '17 GTI to go with my 964. The GTI is faster than my 964. It's an excellent daily driver. You don't need all wheel drive in the Greater Golden Horseshoe. I drove an '13 BMW M5 through the winter. Not an issue.
Better still...slap some snows on your C4 964 ;-)
Old 05-31-2017, 05:30 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I did just that for 4 years on the trot. However, 26 yo German electrics and -20 degree C weather don't get along anymore.

Quick Reply: Help choosing first car in Canada for DD? 981/987,GolfR