Sponsored by:

People with Durametric and PIWIS knowledge - question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 02:43 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default People with Durametric and PIWIS knowledge - question

Does a durametric have access to this code screen? Screen shot is from a PIWIS and for activating the PCM. If so does anybody in Chicago have access to one, either dura or PIWIS? Thanks!
Old 05-24-2017, 02:53 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It looks like you are showing the PCM module / coding option. Depending on model year (assume 997) and Durametric version (Pro now), yes you would have access to the coding function. The Durametric screen is organized differently but it would read the same Categories and functions and allow you to modify the code.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:39 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

No, Durametric Pro does not have this screen. Only PIWIS does. This screen is used to enable features not already installed in your car. Here is where you ADD modules like sport chrono and so on. And on top of that Porsche is very protective of the unique 16 digit code tied to your VIN. Good luck getting the codes without going through an authorized dealer. Or paying for gray market online access to Porsche, which is a whole different problem. This is why a dealer trip is needed to add sport chrono to your car.

But once you have the module properly added via the enabling code, you can configure the module with Durametric Pro. At that point it's just changing configuration parameters.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:08 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

So here's the story, My PCM was killing my battery, so I bought another PCM. Installed it, it all worked, then it shutdown, obviously it noticed the VIN didn't match so it locked to only allow radio. I took it to my Porsche dealer and they said they could get the codes no problem but it would be 8 plus hours to enable it and they were talking about downloading everything from the old one and putting it on the new one (but everything worked on the new one just fine???). So I am trying to figure out how to do this the easiest way. Seems like it would be simpler than what my OPC quoted. Is it as easy as just enabling the codes? Like 20 minutes of work?
Old 05-24-2017, 05:21 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

No way it's 8 hours of labor, I did this exact thing and it was only around 1 or 1.5 hours billed. (And in reality was probably 15 minutes of actual button tapping on the PIWIS.)
Old 05-24-2017, 05:36 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 581 Likes on 348 Posts

i think the real issue is becuz of the fact that they need a vin code to activate - so to mask the cost they are saying 8 hours of labour. even on the 'black market' (sounds silly i know), vin codes to get the 997.2 pcm to work on a 997.2 are a few hundred bucks.

I'm guessing to go the legit route thru a dealer they will want 3x that price (hence the 8 hours labour)
Old 05-26-2017, 05:23 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Anybody in Chicago with access to a PIWIS?
Old 05-28-2017, 06:26 AM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

A couple of hours labor is fair. Enabling and coding are just part of the equation, having and continually loading the Navigation discs (typically 4) is the more time consuming and tedious task, and can fail or require several tries to accomplish successfully sometimes. This is probably why the dealer is covering their *** labor wise, albeit "somewhat" aggressively at 8 hours.

Quick Reply: People with Durametric and PIWIS knowledge - question