Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cayenne Turbo vs Diesel vs Macan 4-cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 04:52 AM
carciofigiudia
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm coming off a recent Cayenne Turbo with air suspension and PDCC. That is the benchmark by any standard: smooth ride, flat cornering and enough power to get you (and the local police department!) excited.

I test drove the Macan S and found it a bit bland. It sat very well even in the corners but the engine left something to be desired. Even the sound was just loud, not refined. No metallic highs, no interesting deep-gruntled burbling, just mid-range noise like a typical V6.

The Audi SQ5 is I think worth the consideration here. It is almost as spacious and practical as the Cayenne, but more fun and lively than the Macan S. The supercharged engine has instant response, unlike the turbo lag of the Macans. It does not compare to the Porsches when going round corners or speccing interior leather, but I think it is much more fun and far more practical than the Macan S. If I couldn't get the CTT or the MTT, I'd definitely go for the SQ5.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:30 AM
raolc
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
...since my 2011 Turbo has been up on a lift in their garage for 3 weeks now.. (long story I'll tell sometime..)
Very curious about this, hope all is well!

BTW - one thing that puzzles me. There are lots of Cayenne-base V6's available for very close money to the Macan when similarly equipped. Given that - I don't exactly understand the need for a Macan, except maybe people think they're saving money buying a smaller SUV? Is the gas mileage really all that important in a time of $2.10/gallon premium?
I wondered the same thing and I think one reason is the smaller size. The Macan feels smaller and lighter which goes a long way for the less confident driver.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:49 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

"It only does everything" was the marketing slogan of the Sony PlayStation3 when it first came out: it was a video game console, a photo/music/movie server, internet browser and a high quality DVD player.

Yesterday, with the help of RennListers, I pulled the trigger on a very nice 2012 CTT. I've always had a sportscar and a powerful SUV with the capacity to tow the boat and the race car I've never had (but the potential is there.....). Last year I sold the vette to get an E92 M3. After driving home in the CTT, I actually wondered if I really needed the M3. You sit lower and the throttle response is a bit more instantaneous in the Bimmer but still....

With sports car handling, seating for five, all wheel drive, a 2" receiver with a towing capacity of 7716 lbs the 958 CTT "only does everything," Vs the Macan? I dunno. How are you going to tow your racecar or boat?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:11 AM
zboot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheUnscented
With sports car handling, seating for five, all wheel drive, a 2" receiver with a towing capacity of 7716 lbs the 958 CTT "only does everything," Vs the Macan? I dunno. How are you going to tow your racecar or boat?
I know what you mean. My '08 GTS (few weeks ago) was a replacement for my AMC Eagle. With kid on the way, I could no longer justify using it for long winter trips. I'd initially looked at Jeeps (to keep things in the AMC lineage) but my interest was piqued by a coworker's glowing review of the Cayenne. Even though it's a bit slower than my supercharged z3 coupe, it seats more, tows ove 7k, handles as good and in some situations, better, and is a lot more stable at high speeds. I initially thought it would sit summers out like the Eagle did, now. . . I'm starting to wonder if I should get rid of the z3. A newer GTS (which is easily achievable by selling the '08 and z3) and most of the z3 pluses are eliminated. I suspect I'm going to spend the next 6 months driving the two and trying to figure out this question.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:51 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Yesterday, with the help of RennListers, I pulled the trigger on a very nice 2012 CTT.
Congrats - but it didn't happen without pictures..
Old 05-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

x2
Old 05-10-2017, 10:02 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Ok, here it is. I'm not digging the aftermarket grills but it appears that they're just tucked behind the bumper cover over the factory so hopefully easy to remove. The belly panel below the bumper, silver/stainless doesn't look right. may be some flat black Plasti-Dip in it's future. Are there chin or lip spoilers available for the front?

BTW These photos are lifted from the indy dealer where I purchased it. It's currently at the local P dealer getting looked at, CPO until January. They gave me a Macan loaner. Fidelity won't write me a warranty on this, the indy dealer wanted to sell me a $4000 warranty from "Freedom Warranty." Porsche wants $12,500 to extend the CPO another 4/48k in January. Best options?
Attached Images      

Last edited by TheUnscented; 05-10-2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Warranty question
Old 05-10-2017, 04:54 PM
Joel 67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche wants $12,500 to extend the CPO another 4/48k in January. Best options?
Firstly, congrats! She's a beauty and love that interior! Secondly though, I think you are going to need to clarify things with your Porsche dealer. As far as I know, a Porsche can only be CPO'd once, and the max is 2 year/100k total miles. The 2 years can be layered on the factory warranty if it's still in effect for newer CPOs.

I wonder if they are trying to sell you an aftermarket warranty?
Old 05-10-2017, 06:11 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Originally Posted by Joel 67
Firstly, congrats! She's a beauty and love that interior! Secondly though, I think you are going to need to clarify things with your Porsche dealer. As far as I know, a Porsche can only be CPO'd once, and the max is 2 year/100k total miles. The 2 years can be layered on the factory warranty if it's still in effect for newer CPOs.

I wonder if they are trying to sell you an aftermarket warranty?
Thanks! It's a real treat compared to my old Pathfinder.

I actually can't remember if the rep said CPO or just "same coverage you've got now." It doesn't matter because I'll burn up the 48k miles in about 26 months, not 48 so it's not a good value. I'm pretty sure I don't have the WC22 problem and the engine is not at risk so the next weak point is the transfer case then the diff, both less than $12k together.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:52 AM
125shifter
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I like those grill inserts. I wish I had those when I drove through swarms of butterflies last year.

Any idea who makes them?
Old 05-11-2017, 05:23 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

In case anyone is wondering, the 2017 Macan will hold ten bags of mulch with no problem.

10 bags easy
Old 05-11-2017, 05:32 PM
deilenberger
Banned

The UnScented - why did you white out your license plate? It's not like people on the street can't see it. This always puzzles me - and so far everyone I've asked sez "So people can't see it.. and everyone else does it.."

Color me curious..
Old 05-12-2017, 08:10 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

It's not my license plate, the Macan is the dealer loaner. Blanking the plate, I have plausible deniability. On Monday afternoon, I bought my Cayenne.....Tuesday morning while trying to get the Sirius radio set up, I got stranded and had it towed to the dealer. Had this loaner since then. I'm not sure how the dealer would feel about using the brand new Macan to haul mulch but I bought the Cayenne because I need a SUV.

Note the tarp: No Macans were harmed in the hauling of the mulch.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:35 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Finally removed center aftermarket grill. Original owner paid $1300 for that monstrosity. May keep the side grills as is or re-install the strakes (bought last week from Porsche $130). Thoughts?
Old 06-28-2017, 02:27 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Reinstall the strakes. What's there looks like concrete reinforcing mesh. Which it probably is. It wouldn't be bad to have these behind the strakes - help keep leaves and road-munge out of the AC condenser..

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo vs Diesel vs Macan 4-cylinder