Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa Tasmania 2017 - GT3 RS v's Viper

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 08:16 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I cant help but wonder where a 991 Turbo S would be in a race like this.
Fully stripped. Full clubsport cage.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:32 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW just wow, that high speed driving was really scary.Good stuff in the twistie, nice skills.

P.S. You could have been 10 secs faster in the new gt3
Old 05-06-2017, 01:03 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I cant help but wonder where a 991 Turbo S would be in a race like this.
Fully stripped. Full clubsport cage.
There is no doubt, there would be stages where a Turbo S would be quicker, but others where it wouldn't know where a GT3 went.

But there a few other reasons we quickly discounted a Turbo (we ran a 996 Turbo 2007-2009).
1. How bloody fast do you want to go? The GT3 991 hits some scary top speeds on some stages... not sure I need to go much faster.
2. The organisers are focused on slowing the cars down (note the virtual speed zones appearing to knock the average speeds down).
The are also encouraging the competitors who want to "have a crack" to enter the 2wd "GT2" class by putting it out there as the marquee class.
3. Re-sale. You need to butcher a Turbo to cage it and set it up to handle, and it's hard to sell afterwards. (Wear and tear is also more expensive to keep up to)
4. The Porsche GT cars are super easy prepare - stock everything. Just cage and race it! And super reliable!
Old 05-06-2017, 06:13 AM
fun2k
Racer

Did you guys run without esc?

Also has there been any c7 z06 cars in the event? was wondering since that is a very difficult and unpredictable car to control especially without esc.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:33 AM
Jono809
Instructor

Awesome to watch, thanks!
Old 05-06-2017, 07:21 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Originally Posted by fun2k
Did you guys run without esc?

Also has there been any c7 z06 cars in the event? was wondering since that is a very difficult and unpredictable car to control especially without esc.
ESC on I'm embarrassed to admit. I obviously haven't watched enough Top Gear!😉
I find the nannies are pretty smart - if you load up the slip angles slowly, it seems to know and let's you go. But in time I'll experiment a bit more.

Re Z06 - there has been a few. I reckon they would be very quick with a few tweaks.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:02 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Amazing stuff. Thank you for sharing.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:21 PM
fun2k
Racer

Originally Posted by skippyBKR
ESC on I'm embarrassed to admit. I obviously haven't watched enough Top Gear!😉
I find the nannies are pretty smart - if you load up the slip angles slowly, it seems to know and let's you go. But in time I'll experiment a bit more.

Re Z06 - there has been a few. I reckon they would be very quick with a few tweaks.
I used to have esc and tc turned off in my 997.2 gt3 long time ago(to reduce brake wear and because i was just plain stupid thinking i was a good driver), the one time I actually had it on, the system saved me from spinning around... in a tunnel.

I love the new z06 but the stock suspension cannot handle that much torque.
The car is a true widowmaker with esc turned off. I bet with some suspension mods it can be a very strong contender for short tracks.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:25 PM
skippyBKR
Instructor

The basic equation to going fast is power to weight ratio. If it's light and got big power then you can go fast.... if you spend enough time and money on stopping and going around a corner.
The remarkable thing about the GT3 (and GT3RS) is the hard work has already been done for you - just get in it and drive it. The way the stock suspension handles B grade roads at very high speed (real world stuff) is ridiculous and has no peers IMO.
In Tarmac Rallying where we are, I've seen Gallardo's, R8's, McClaren's, Vipers, Ferrari's Lotus's turn up and ALL required modifications to their suspensions (and brakes is most cases) to stop destroying themselves bottoming out and firing off the road.
The RS particularly surprised me on how good it was over very rough roads given it's apparent bias towards track work.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:17 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^^^
Thanks for re-posting the 2017 Rossarden stage - great driving, tremendous speed. The stability was very very impressive - looked rock solid and very composed.

Also, I agree - you'd be nuts to turn the ESC completely off. On track its a different story when you know and understand the line, surface and conditions. Road rallying is so much harder and the consequences of an off in Targa can be catastrophic (as has been demonstrated in the past - sadly).

In terms of pace notes did you purchase the stock set from TT and update them or make your own from scratch. I have feeling (but am not completely certain) that J and J may have used a package called Jemba to map the whole course - this is a very effective system.

Anyhow great work and thanks for sharing the footage
Old 05-07-2017, 02:01 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Originally Posted by randr
^^^^^

In terms of pace notes did you purchase the stock set from TT and update them or make your own from scratch. I have feeling (but am not completely certain) that J and J may have used a package called Jemba to map the whole course - this is a very effective system
I have always used Vandenberg Rally notes (1-6) as my base but have changed and developed them over the years to describe things I want to know about. Notes are very individual - mine work for me but might not suit everyone.

(I posted Rossarden this year in the RS as it's interesting to compare it to the GT3 last year. 5km per hour faster at the top of the hill but same top speed 269 Km/hr. Extra aero gives better stability and confidence but harms top speed a bit.)

Last edited by skippyBKR; 05-07-2017 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-07-2017, 06:45 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well done Matt. Excellent driving. Looks like the RS just gives more grip everywhere, larger tyre patch, wider track, more downforce and more compliant suspension. epic stage.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:04 AM
RSCS
Instructor

Well done Matt. Congratulations
Old 05-11-2017, 12:32 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Three full cage GT3 RS's - something you don't see every day.

The leering Viper ACR ��

About as much air as I'm game to get!

Old 05-18-2017, 02:56 AM
skippyBKR
Instructor

Here is a short fast little stage we did on very smooth road - really suit the RS. Peaked at 1.8g laterals in some of the flip flops.

Quick Reply: Targa Tasmania 2017 - GT3 RS v's Viper