Sponsored By:

Extra 12v Outlet Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 11:24 PM
tigger1197
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Extra 12v Outlet Question

Under the dash on the passenger side, as everyone should know, there is a single 12v outlet with a spot to have a second like the 955/957 series. Where can I find the parts to put the other one in? Or what are the part numbers for the socket and the cover? I can figure out the wiring if I had the outlet/cover.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:54 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

http://www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com...nd-gauges-scat

Probably parts 17 and 18..

I'd call and talk to them before ordering..
Old 05-08-2017, 03:08 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 132 Posts

What're you trying to power? Why not use an in-line adapter instead?

Like one of these:
Amazon Amazon

I've got two in my 17. One on the right powering a dash-cam, another on the left powering a phone charging cradle. I could have used just one but since there's fuse panels on both sides, and enough space to easily hide the (really inexpensive) adapters it was just easier to go with two. I didn't want to have to figure out what kind of twisted path I'd need to run a cable from one side to the other.

The downside to using those sockets is they leave whatever's plugged into them right up where someone might accidentally kick it. Sort of the same thing for the ones way down low on the rear console. For one of those I've used a low-profile adapter and a right-angle cord.

Amazon Amazon

I snake the cord up to the front seat as power for a tablet or a passenger's device. This because there's no indent or other groove to allow for a cord to extend out from inside the socket in the arm rest.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:43 PM
tigger1197
Instructor

Wait...for the '17 model the put 2 under the dash? That's really annoying if that's true.

Anyway I want to power actual 12v widget not just usb. I know I can just get a plug in splitter for .02 off of ebay from China. I was just looking for something that looks stock.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:20 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

No, there's still just one up there where your feet kick. There's a cut-out molded into the plastic for a second one, but just one actual outlet. Previous years, apparently, had two there. It's a really odd position for such things.

There's two in the rear console in the back seat. Down below the rear air controls (if you have the four zone option). I think the regular rear console has them also.

As for an actual 12v gizmo them use an add-a-tap to power the widget if it takes 12v directly.

Also note, I've seen posted elsewhere someone that already had a spare 12v socket on-hand simply wired one into an add-a-tap and then plugged the device into the socket. There's room around either side's fuse panels to accommodate it.

I'm saying, the positioning of the outlet(s) up under the front footwell, and then all the wire routing, is less than ideal. And it's REALLY easy to just use a tap off either side's fuse panels.... But hey, if you're gung-ho for using the outlet don't let me stop you.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:03 PM
tigger1197
Instructor

That makes more sense. I didn't think they changed something that small in the same series.

I didn't mean a duplex kind of outlet I meant exactly what is already there. I want to add the second one to the car just like is already there. I need the 12v cover, socket, and the plug for the harness and I can do the wiring to make it work. I want to make it look like it came from the factory that way. I can't find a parts diagram for down there. I took apart the under side and tried to get part numbers since almost everything in there has a part number on it but these look like VW/Audi parts so no such luck. I only found a part number on the plug for the harness.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Scats
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw in the 958.2 that the rear center 12v outlets now have 1 with 2 usb ports. Has anyone looked into swapping this trim piece?
Old 05-09-2017, 06:17 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scats
I saw in the 958.2 that the rear center 12v outlets now have 1 with 2 usb ports. Has anyone looked into swapping this trim piece?
Ok, so this should be in the 'features I missed thread'. I never looked at the right-hand socket. It's not a socket, it's two USB ports. Though I don't know what amperage they support. I mistakenly assumed they were both 12v sockets and just put a 12v adapter (with quick charge for my S7) in the left-hand one.

So, thanks for pointing out the obvious for me.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:52 PM
tigger1197
Instructor

Originally Posted by wkearney99
Ok, so this should be in the 'features I missed thread'. I never looked at the right-hand socket. It's not a socket, it's two USB ports. Though I don't know what amperage they support. I mistakenly assumed they were both 12v sockets and just put a 12v adapter (with quick charge for my S7) in the left-hand one.

So, thanks for pointing out the obvious for me.

I guess they did do a "small change" between years. My '16 just has 2 12v outlets. Oh well at least the usb adapters are cheap if I need them.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:21 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tigger1197
I guess they did do a "small change" between years. My '16 just has 2 12v outlets. Oh well at least the usb adapters are cheap if I need them.
'17 has several changes. The console is different on the rear, as is the cubby inside of it (very different). The driver floor/pedal/mats are slightly different too (the dead pedal is larger, sized differently). Not sure about anything else, interior-wise.

As for the adapters, yeah, I'd probably prefer NOT using the factory ones if powering modern devices that have schemes to pull more power than most 'standard' USB ports. Not that nearly flush-mount adapters exist it's less of a factor. That and since they're placed down so low, in kicking range, it would be better to have any damage to the socket limited to a cheaply/easily replaced plug-in adapter instead of the factory USB sockets.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:10 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

FYI, this the lower section of the rear console, with the 4-zone AC option.

The lower edge is the lip of the Weathertech rear floor mat (also for the 4-zone option).

From the looks of it the right-side USB socket assembly is probably just a the same kind of pop-in arrangement as a regular 12v socket, though I have not bothered to try removing it.

If it IS the same kind of plug-in then it might be worth thinking about using one of those under the front dash as a second socket. Or not, I think that's a horrible place to put USB cable connecting devices, as USB sockets are notoriously fragile. A regular 12v device with a molded plug/cable would be better suited for use there, but even then I'd pass.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:30 PM
tigger1197
Instructor

That's only somewhat annoying. It would be nice to have the extra usb ports but I see your point about the factory one vs .02 off of ebay. I would rather damage the cheap one.

Anyway back to the original question. Anyone have the part numbers to make the second one look like the factory one under the dash?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:23 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tigger1197
That's only somewhat annoying. It would be nice to have the extra usb ports but I see your point about the factory one vs .02 off of ebay. I would rather damage the cheap one.

Anyway back to the original question. Anyone have the part numbers to make the second one look like the factory one under the dash?
Well, let me caution you against the cheap ones via fleabay/aliexpress. Especially if you're going to use them for higher-drain devices like tablets. The knock-off ones are fire risks. Lots of ones sold retail are still made in China, of course, but one hopes they're at least rising above a certain level of junk.

I'll see if mine can be readily popped loose and see if there's a part number.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:49 AM
tigger1197
Instructor

After a bunch of bad experiences with aftermarket parts I only buy OEM these days. Anyone have an idea on the OEM part numbers for this? It looks like the socket is used in the back of the car as well. Suncoast has the cover but I need the socket itself.

Quick Reply: Extra 12v Outlet Question