Received 108 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Pollen Filters

Did I miss the service interval? Haha.
--Michael
Old 05-06-2017, 02:20 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Can you see the MFG date on them? Mine were not as dirty, but 8 yrs old by the date stamped on them.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:13 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,501 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Having replaced them more than once I believe they have a lot of capacity and a long service life.
For me the big deal is to remember the alignment tab on the replacement filter points to 12 O'clock otherwise one can spend all day trying to get the housing closed.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:59 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

I wish I would have read this before I spent hours futzing around with them! Haha.
All the maintenance stuff I have been doing is annoying. Fuel filter was annoying. Clutch slave bleeding, trans fluid, oil. All annoying.
Michael
Originally Posted by pp000830
Having replaced them more than once I believe they have a lot of capacity and a long service life.
For me the big deal is to remember the alignment tab on the replacement filter points to 12 O'clock otherwise one can spend all day trying to get the housing closed.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:31 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Exactly what mine looked like. They were original.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:18 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 739 Likes on 539 Posts

same as mine after 21 years...just changed them with AC system rebuild...
Old 05-08-2017, 08:16 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
I wish I would have read this before I spent hours futzing around with them! Haha.
All the maintenance stuff I have been doing is annoying. Fuel filter was annoying. Clutch slave bleeding, trans fluid, oil. All annoying.
Michael
-Fuel filter, I have never done this as it seems messy, some day...

-Clutch slave bleeding, I have rationalized that since it uses the same reservoir as the brakes and I do flush the brake system out on occasion any concentrations of moisture or debris in the clutch system is diluted or even eventually flushed out to the reservoir. Probably lame and factually in error but it has caused me to reflect on the act and not do it. I don't even know where the bleeder screw is.

-No lift so I leave the transmission fluid change to others

For perspective and to propose enjoyable stuff:
Oil changes
Brake Pads and rotors
Suspension component upgrades
A steering rack, something I hope to never do again, no fun without a lift
All sorts of interior stuff, really enjoyable
All sorts of electrical repairs and upgrades - enjoyable
All sorts of external engine ancillary repair & replacement, not too difficult

Andy
Old 05-08-2017, 10:36 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

-Fuel filter, I have never done this as it seems messy, some day...

-Clutch slave bleeding, I have rationalized that since it uses the same reservoir as the brakes and I do flush the brake system out on occasion any concentrations of moisture or debris in the clutch system is diluted or even eventually flushed out to the reservoir. Probably lame and factually in error but it has caused me to reflect on the act and not do it. I don't even know where the bleeder screw is.

-No lift so I leave the transmission fluid change to others

For perspective and to propose enjoyable stuff:
Oil changes
Brake Pads and rotors
Suspension component upgrades
A steering rack, something I hope to never do again, no fun without a lift
All sorts of interior stuff, really enjoyable
All sorts of electrical repairs and upgrades - enjoyable
All sorts of external engine ancillary repair & replacement, not too difficult

Andy
I've found changing the fuel filter, clutch slave cylinder and transmission fluid not much different than other cars.

As a point of comparison - on some newer cars (VW/Audi specifically), you need to "prime" the system after a fuel filter change. This requires a scan tool. On my BMW, you're supposed to remove the slave cylinder from the bell housing to bleed it. In both cases, the same job on the 993 is easier in my experience.

The oil change is completely different animal.

I bleed my clutch line once every two years. Its fluid is always much darker than that in the brake lines.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:37 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 198 Posts

Michael
Digging the new avatar Michael.....
Old 05-08-2017, 10:19 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Michael
I ended up adding a "this way up" arrow with a Sharpi pen on the replacement filter so some day in the distant future I will be reminded how to orient the next replacement filter.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:38 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I really like the car. It gives me freedom now to work on the 993 and not be stressed about finishing stuff over the weekend so I have a car to drive to work.

I do better work when I don't rush. Plus, given my skills, it takes me twice the time to do stuff than it should. I enjoy savoring the work a little. Haha.

--Michael

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Digging the new avatar Michael.....
Old 05-09-2017, 12:46 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

I ended up adding a "this way up" arrow with a Sharpi pen on the replacement filter so some day in the distant future I will be reminded how to orient the next replacement filter.
That is a good tip! I always have to remember how to do stuff on the 993. Fortunately, I have some Red Cap garage videos to watch.
--Michael
Old 05-09-2017, 03:04 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

One of my business friends once told me that the best businesses are those have customers come back for "consumables" - and pollen filters are a great example of that. Its makes absolutely no sense that you have pollen filters on a car where the doors, windows and sunroof open :-)

Anyways, if you have a good source of dry compressed air, you can extend the life of the pollen filters significantly - just remove them, blow them clean (some the inside and outside of the ring) and reinstall. Its a judgement call on when to replace, but I have at least done this twice on a set of filters.

As for clutch fluid flush, brake flushes will not replace the fluid in the lines from the reservoir to the slave (going through the master of course), nor replace the fluid that remains on the clutch side of the reservoir since there is a baffle in the tank to protect the brake circuit if the clutch circuit fails. The system does not get too much air in it because it does not go through the heat cycles brakes can go through, but the feel of the clutch can be often improved by doing this flush.

One observation - usually people comment on how "dirty" the clutch fluid is - I think the black flex hose that goes to the slave colors the fluid, so even near new fluid comes out darker if its been used a bit.

I usually do a quick flush of the clutch circuit when doing a brake flush since I have the tank pressurized anyways, I consider it part of the same flush as the brakes. Sometimes I do find some small air bubbles. Helps to have a lift.

The fuel filter is not difficult, but let the car sit overnight, or be prepared for some fuel residual pressure since the check valve at the fuel pump will hold the pressure for quite a while. Use some small containers and rags to catch the excess fuel, and its not the time to be smoking!

While I have changed dozens of gas filters, I have never seen one so plugged as to cause issues. From the ones I have cut up, they are usually pretty clean, its more to catch any particles that can impact the injectors.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-09-2017, 03:50 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mike! Good info.
I figured I'd do all the filters and fluids since the car is up on the scissor lift. I also can clean the bottom side of the engine due to my poor oil filling spillage. What a freakin mess that has caused. It made pulling the plug wires a mess.
--Michael
Originally Posted by Mike J
One of my business friends once told me that the best businesses are those have customers come back for "consumables" - and pollen filters are a great example of that. Its makes absolutely no sense that you have pollen filters on a car where the doors, windows and sunroof open :-)

Anyways, if you have a good source of dry compressed air, you can extend the life of the pollen filters significantly - just remove them, blow them clean (some the inside and outside of the ring) and reinstall. Its a judgement call on when to replace, but I have at least done this twice on a set of filters.

As for clutch fluid flush, brake flushes will not replace the fluid in the lines from the reservoir to the slave (going through the master of course), nor replace the fluid that remains on the clutch side of the reservoir since there is a baffle in the tank to protect the brake circuit if the clutch circuit fails. The system does not get too much air in it because it does not go through the heat cycles brakes can go through, but the feel of the clutch can be often improved by doing this flush.

One observation - usually people comment on how "dirty" the clutch fluid is - I think the black flex hose that goes to the slave colors the fluid, so even near new fluid comes out darker if its been used a bit.

I usually do a quick flush of the clutch circuit when doing a brake flush since I have the tank pressurized anyways, I consider it part of the same flush as the brakes. Sometimes I do find some small air bubbles. Helps to have a lift.

The fuel filter is not difficult, but let the car sit overnight, or be prepared for some fuel residual pressure since the check valve at the fuel pump will hold the pressure for quite a while. Use some small containers and rags to catch the excess fuel, and its not the time to be smoking!

While I have changed dozens of gas filters, I have never seen one so plugged as to cause issues. From the ones I have cut up, they are usually pretty clean, its more to catch any particles that can impact the injectors.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-09-2017, 07:35 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
  • you can extend the life of the pollen filters significantly - just remove them, blow them clean
  • the feel of the clutch can be often improved by doing this flush.
  • I usually do a quick flush of the clutch circuit when doing a brake flush since I have the tank pressurized anyways, I consider it part of the same flush as the brakes. Sometimes I do find some small air bubbles. Helps to have a lift.
  • The fuel filter is not difficult, I have never seen one so plugged as to cause issues.
Mike
Great insights, Thanks!
Andy

Quick Reply: Pollen Filters