Sponsored by:

Leaking cabriolet seals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 06:32 PM
Irisheyes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leaking cabriolet seals?

997.1S cabriolet. After sitting outside last night during rain, I got in this morning to find water all over the passenger seat. Water is leaking inside on the interior from the area marked in the picture. Any suggestions? Also the other seal marked in the pic is also allowing water to penetrate because it seems rather weathered from the sun and elements, suggestions on that as well? Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2017, 04:53 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I have never seen such wear on a side seal as on your car. That's an easy fix. Replace the affected parts.

Also, retorque the Torx screws that you will find just to the left of the driver's head when top is up (and on the right side as well). Use blue Loctite.

My top is very well sealed against the elements, but then it's always garaged, and with the top up.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:06 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Yeah, the seals on the sides look like they're toast. Not sure how that happened but they look pretty shredded.

If your upper seals are not coming together and leaking at the seam, you might try applying some seal grease--I prefer Honda Shin-Etsu grease but I believe Porsche makes it as well. It sometimes softens seals enough that they become more pliable and seal up better. It's worth a try before replacing the upper seals entirely.

HTH,
James
Old 05-02-2017, 03:00 PM
bondgts
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

997.2 GTS Cab here...similar issue. I thought it was from washing the car, but then again my car is garage kept and hasn't been out in a real rain yet. Let me know what fixes it for you!
Old 05-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Irisheyes
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bondgts
997.2 GTS Cab here...similar issue. I thought it was from washing the car, but then again my car is garage kept and hasn't been out in a real rain yet. Let me know what fixes it for you!
My car has 30,000 miles on it. It's babied in every way - stored in garage, I don't even drive it in the rain if I don't have to. It's in pristine condition. The top seal looks beautiful except I now find out that when subjected to prolonged rain, water runs in - WTF? Is there a drain or something that could be plugged up?

The seal on the small window is BS - it's completely shot. I'll have to replace both sides somehow.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:22 PM
stairmasterman911
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Irish, Mine is an '05 - newish to me - leaking in the same spots. When I slightly open the top, I can see that soft seal material is torn looking. The driver side looks intact. There has to be a way to replace that rubber seal stuff. Let's research this thing. Mine is my DD so it gets rained on. (Although it's never spent the night outside!)
Old 05-03-2017, 11:50 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Irisheyes
My car has 30,000 miles on it. It's babied in every way - stored in garage, I don't even drive it in the rain if I don't have to. It's in pristine condition. The top seal looks beautiful except I now find out that when subjected to prolonged rain, water runs in - WTF? Is there a drain or something that could be plugged up?

The seal on the small window is BS - it's completely shot. I'll have to replace both sides somehow.
Maybe you should, you know, drive it in the rain to toughen it up a bit!

Seals dry out. Can look good but maybe theyre not

are the torx screws tight on the side rails

Quick Reply: Leaking cabriolet seals?