Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filthy Air Filters at 15-20K Miles - Yikes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 01:53 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts
Default Filthy Air Filters at 15-20K Miles - Yikes!

2009 C2S 114K miles

I just changed my air filters.... I try and do this twice a year but this time it got away from me. I had no excuse as I had two filters on-hand, ready to go (Mann from Pelican).

The manual states changing them every 40K, but I take my car for photography excursions usually on roads of dirt, gravel, and sand. When you kick up dust as slow speeds, this stuff is just sucked straight into the engine. No way around it.

So, check out the vid.... and have some laughs.

I guess the takeaway here is that if you are wondering if your filters are dirty enough to change early, I suggest running your fingers over the paper... no poofs, then I suspect it is OK. Even with the mass amounts of dirt in mine.. and this is not the first time they get like this.... I can't feel any performance degradation at all. I try and do a change twice a year.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 05-01-2017, 11:25 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

I change the filters every year, right after the pollen season in North Carolina.
Worth it.

Yves
Old 05-01-2017, 11:35 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

There is a lot of margin in the air filtration system so even pretty dirty air filters don't impeded air flow.

Still it is best to change the filters regularly and in dusty/dirty conditions change them more often. IOWs, you did the right thing.

Did you also change the cabin air filter? This can get pretty dirty too.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:58 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

wow, that is surprising.

Don't forget to hose down that air box cover.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:42 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow!! I'm heading out right now to take a look at my filters. I changed mine last summer.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:45 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
There is a lot of margin in the air filtration system so even pretty dirty air filters don't impeded air flow.

Still it is best to change the filters regularly and in dusty/dirty conditions change them more often. IOWs, you did the right thing.

Did you also change the cabin air filter? This can get pretty dirty too.
I kinda stuck to the 40K rec for the cabin filter and think that is fine. When the cloud of dust billows from the tires at 10 MPH on the dirt roads, it really only envelopes the rear of the car... kinda odd. Anyway, that filter never looked all that bad.

I am going to place another order with Pelican.... waiting for one of their discount coupons to fly into my email.

Regarding cleaning the airbox cover....... waste of time..... I used too... but you should see the filth in that engine compartment. The last time, I even removed the fan over the engine and cleaned that whole business.... today it looks like a Mad Max movie scene. I kinda gave up.

Spring time is really great for photographing birds here along the NJ coast.... so I will just make it worse in the next few weeks... waste of time unfortunately. The birds are their brightest and most colorful and keep near their nests and are a bit aggressive so easier to shoot.

I snagged these Eastern Bluebirds earlier this week in Western PA on an abandoned road that was flooded by building the Shenango Dam (built in the early '60s). I have been trying for a few years to grab a nice on of these birds but they are skitish and shy.... they taunted me for years. Just when you think you are close enough for a good shot they zip away. How did I get this one? I payed their price of course.... greedy flying rats demanded 2X scale.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Male:

Female:

Old 05-01-2017, 07:24 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

That looks like the filter from my shopvac!
Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 PM
orange260z
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheralph
That looks like the filter from my shopvac!
+1

- after vacuuming my garage floor of all the dried winter salt!!!!
Old 05-01-2017, 11:20 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Good to know those filters did their job.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:52 PM
nk215
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bird shots are awesome. I bought a 1dx a couple of years ago thinking about getting into bird in fly but never did. The camera tracks my kids in soccer game very well however.

Quick Reply: Filthy Air Filters at 15-20K Miles - Yikes!