Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FlyingDuckTail (997 wing) VIDEO Images and more!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
I'm not holding my breath for data from the vendor. Best they might have is computer simulated aero but that is not close to real world data. Would anyone other than a manufacturer have the resources or use to invest in a wind tunnel?
Some of the better universities, like my Alma Mater Virginia Tech and those with Automotive Schools of Design, like Clemson where I live now have their own wind tunnels. If I were them, I'd approach a school near them with one and offer to have the students to the analysis as an educational project. What student wouldn't want to say they had a 911 in the tunnel today
Old 04-19-2017, 02:56 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Some of the better universities, like my Alma Mater Virginia Tech and those with Automotive Schools of Design, like Clemson where I live now have their own wind tunnels. If I were them, I'd approach a school near them with one and offer to have the students to the analysis as an educational project. What student wouldn't want to say they had a 911 in the tunnel today
Great idea - win/win
Old 04-19-2017, 03:33 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

nice idea .. been thinking about this myself (love the sport classic look) and having just picked up my first car 'again' (White short shift non-sunroof 2007 997 C2S - sold with 14k kms and bought it back with 40km 7 years later) I'm keen on some ideas

Is the product fibreglass or moulded plastic as with the OEM non-ducked piece?

Also re wind tunnels - can't a pretty effective sim be performed by using a small model (1:18 etc..) and some clay? Do you have to use a car sized tunnel to get to the 80:20?
Old 04-21-2017, 02:57 PM
FZP
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I must say I'm disappointed that the OP has failed to come to the table with the data. I fail to believe for one second that they haven't read every reply that has been made as they're keen to see the feedback on it.
People's lives are potentially at risk.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:23 PM
beyondthegrave77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find the hate for this wing to be odd...

I am not affiliated with them at all and I think the price is a bit much for that it is but I think it looks nice and doesn't seem like it would negatively affect the car.

But some of the people in this thread seem to have a bone to pick with the Company??
Old 04-21-2017, 03:38 PM
FZP
Instructor

Originally Posted by beyondthegrave77
I find the hate for this wing to be odd...

I am not affiliated with them at all and I think the price is a bit much for that it is but I think it looks nice and doesn't seem like it would negatively affect the car.

But some of the people in this thread seem to have a bone to pick with the Company??
Far from it. In one of my earlier posts I can been seen stating my like of the look of the product. I have never heard of the company before so got nothing against them. If you think I'm being pedantic, can I suggest you take your 911 well into triple digits and let me know how it feels when you put the wing down manually(if that's at all possible). Please don't think I'm trying to wind people up with the above statement.
Alternatively, have a look at the front splitters on the 997.2 GT3 and GT3RS. This highlights the point more effectively.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:44 PM
HiWind
Race Car

on the topic of balance of downforce - did the 997 Sport Classic w Duck (Factory issue of 250 I believe) have a bigger/deeper/better front spoiler?
I see the slightly modified lower valance but nothing like a GT3 lower lip etc..

Old 04-21-2017, 03:51 PM
FZP
Instructor

Front Aero bar with splitter above and beyond standard front bar. What I can't tell you is if there was any additional/modified Aero under the car.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:12 PM
beyondthegrave77
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FZP
Far from it. In one of my earlier posts I can been seen stating my like of the look of the product. I have never heard of the company before so got nothing against them. If you think I'm being pedantic, can I suggest you take your 911 well into triple digits and let me know how it feels when you put the wing down manually(if that's at all possible). Please don't think I'm trying to wind people up with the above statement.
Alternatively, have a look at the front splitters on the 997.2 GT3 and GT3RS. This highlights the point more effectively.
I live in Los Angeles and daily drive my 911S im lucky if I can get up to 60mph on the highway during morning/evening commutes.

I do find the responses both here and the 6speedonline thread to be a little pedantic since I have another rarer sports car and that one has a much bigger/better aftermarket community then Porsche(since Porsche pretty much provides all the upgrades you would need) and people will atleast be willing to wait/see or even try the product before completely ****ting on it.

Although this is probably also partially the fault of the Ducktale guys for not having the pictures and documents finished to include in the original thread when first posting, and leaving to much mystery about what is just a standard wing add-on. I mainly see it as a marketing/miscommunication thing at this point. Their site also looks terrible.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:15 PM
HiWind
Race Car

LET'S TRY THE OLD IF YOU DON'T HAVE SOMETHING nice TO SAY JUST LEAVE AND DON'T POST
AND FORGET ABOUT IT ...

EVERYONE HERE KNOWS they have to EVALUATE AND THINK ABOUT ISSUES FOR THEMSELVES - THEY OWN PORSCHES AFTER ALL so they've done something quite well ... oops sorry - wasn't shouting .. back on topic please
Old 04-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
on the topic of balance of downforce - did the 997 Sport Classic w Duck (Factory issue of 250 I believe) have a bigger/deeper/better front spoiler?
I see the slightly modified lower valance but nothing like a GT3 lower lip etc..

I can't speak to that model, but the 911R does have underbody aero to add downforce or prevent lift.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:02 PM
HiWind
Race Car

sure Pete but it doesn't have a ducktail where as this mod is basically adding one
Old 04-21-2017, 07:18 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I really like the looks of this. Would love to see more data regarding downforce. Since I already have the GT3 front end, I would think it might balance out nicely, but at this point it is just guess work
Old 04-21-2017, 07:19 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I can't speak to that model, but the 911R does have underbody aero to add downforce or prevent lift.

The intersting thing to me is the 991 GTS has a front aerokit very similar to the 911R but no rear downforce additives like the diffuser of the 911R or the wing of a GT3
Old 04-23-2017, 07:00 AM
FZP
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodH
The intersting thing to me is the 991 GTS has a front aerokit very similar to the 911R but no rear downforce additives like the diffuser of the 911R or the wing of a GT3
Indeed. I'm sure if you asked Porsche they could provide all the numbers for all their cars

Quick Reply: FlyingDuckTail (997 wing) VIDEO Images and more!