Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making a fibreglass front end?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 02:05 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Making a fibreglass front end?

I am considering building a fibreglass hood or maybe a one piece front end.

How should I go about this?
Old 04-14-2017, 02:45 PM
SloMo228
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take my opinion with a few grains of salt, since I only have a little fiberglass fabrication experience and it was a long time ago.

That said, the basic process is to use the existing piece to make a negative mold. Then you lay fiberglass and resin into the negative to produce, hopefully, a nearly exact copy of the original.

I think the hood would probably not be too difficult to mold and lay up, since it's pretty flat and doesn't have many sharp curves. The bumper might be a challenge, though.

I will be replacing a lot of heavy steel with light fiberglass on my car, and I've considered making a hood. I will almost definitely be buying the bumper and fenders, though. It's just not a terribly favorable cost/time tradeoff for me, and working with fiberglass can be a true pain in the ***.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Winter44
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are we talking a reproduction in fiberglass or a custom/unique front end?

For custom you'd need to build a prototype typically out of foam and then make a mold from that.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Gregs04.5
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

You want to talk to someone in the fiberglass boat building business. After you see the amount of work and cost of materials (for one piece I assume) you'll want to look at pre-made pieces.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:09 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by SloMo228
Take my opinion with a few grains of salt, since I only have a little fiberglass fabrication experience and it was a long time ago.

That said, the basic process is to use the existing piece to make a negative mold. Then you lay fiberglass and resin into the negative to produce, hopefully, a nearly exact copy of the original.

I think the hood would probably not be too difficult to mold and lay up, since it's pretty flat and doesn't have many sharp curves. The bumper might be a challenge, though.

I will be replacing a lot of heavy steel with light fiberglass on my car, and I've considered making a hood. I will almost definitely be buying the bumper and fenders, though. It's just not a terribly favorable cost/time tradeoff for me, and working with fiberglass can be a true pain in the ***.
I sure hope you share with us the process
Old 04-17-2017, 07:57 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is what I did and here how I did it...
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...fc-racing.html
Attached Images   
Old 04-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts

Nice job, Cyril...is it easily removable, or did you pivot it so that the entire hood/front end assembly pivots up like on an XKE? The hood itself looks awesome with all the vents and scoops, etc..
Old 04-18-2017, 10:48 PM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Nice job, Cyril...is it easily removable, or did you pivot it so that the entire hood/front end assembly pivots up like on an XKE? The hood itself looks awesome with all the vents and scoops, etc..
Thank you. The hood is still functional with the stock hinges. The front end is mounted with few Dzus and it takes few seconds to remove it.
The hood looks nice but it is not very efficient.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:13 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Cyril, your build is incredible. Well thought out. I would love to mimic your approach to the front end body work. I started re-reading your thread so thank you for the link. When you say "hood not very efficient, what do you mean?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:42 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Cyril, your build is incredible. Well thought out. I would love to mimic your approach to the front end body work. I started re-reading your thread so thank you for the link. When you say "hood not very efficient, what do you mean?
Thank you. The only way to minimize lift (and reduce heat) is to extract the air stuck under the hood coming from the radiator, cooler and intercooler openings.
Then the location of the openings and more importantly the air flow.
Aerodynamically, the smart way to do this is what Patrick did by optimizing the openings on the bumper (location and size), convert coolers to Laminova type (water to oil),...
More info here: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-race-car.html
Old 04-19-2017, 03:49 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Wow - I was going to provide some tips on how I have made parts. I got sidetracked at Cyril's post. That is some first class work.

It will be a little embarrassing when I post my stuff...

I will be making parts for Young Herbie. That will find its way to that other thread.

When I have some time, I'll post up some images and words on the last FG hood I made. Here's a teaser...

Old 04-19-2017, 10:34 PM
Noahs944
Race Car

Originally Posted by Cyril
Aerodynamically, the smart way to do this is what Patrick did by optimizing the openings on the bumper (location and size), convert coolers to Laminova type (water to oil),...
Is this because you can rely on the rad to cool the coolant therefore requiring less holes in the front??
Old 04-20-2017, 05:44 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Wow - I was going to provide some tips on how I have made parts. I got sidetracked at Cyril's post. That is some first class work.

It will be a little embarrassing when I post my stuff...

I will be making parts for Young Herbie. That will find its way to that other thread.

When I have some time, I'll post up some images and words on the last FG hood I made. Here's a teaser...
Thank you Scott. From what I see, you have a lot of fun projects!
Please share your work on Herbie.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:50 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noahs944
Is this because you can rely on the rad to cool the coolant therefore requiring less holes in the front??
Exactly.
But do not underestimate the level of cooling necessary for a turbo engine...
Old 04-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyril
Thank you Scott. From what I see, you have a lot of fun projects!
Please share your work on Herbie.
Cyril,

I have another thread that is starting off quite slowly. It's covering the RallyCross build of Young Herbie. Poor Herbie met his demise a few years ago when rear-ended by a distracted driver. But - much of him will live on.

Noah,

I'll post a little bit on how I make many of my fiberglass parts. I have been doing this for quite some time and I am happy with the results. My method does not follow the generally accepted procedure of creating a female mold off the original part. Instead, I render the original part useless for anything but creating an "internal" mold.

This has many advantages and a few disadvantages. Mainly less material and costs are involved. However, exact duplication of the part is compromised slightly and the final dimensions differ ever so slightly from the original. Some pictures should help explain some of this.

This is a hood I made about ten years ago for the Partial Eclipse. The original hood weighed 39 pounds. My finished piece weighed 14.

Start by cutting the outer skin from the rest of the structure by grinding along the edge.

The inside of the skin will be the mold. It needs to be perfectly clean and smooth.

Much of the labor involved is in preparing the surface to accept the fiberglass. Here all the paint and sealer is being removed.

Surface is cleaned and prepped. Depressions, defects, etc. are filled with body filler.

Quick Reply: Making a fibreglass front end?