Sponsored by:

997 GTS questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 12:51 PM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997 GTS questions

I'm starting the search for a manual transmission car again after a 3 year hiatus.

One of the cars I'm considering is a 997, possibly a GTS version. I've spent years on the 991 forum, so I'm pretty well versed in them, but don't know as much about 997s.

I had a few questions I'm hoping you can help me with:
  1. Value: When new, GTS models seem to be considered a pretty good "value" because it would be priced less than a comparable S model with equivalent options. Is that still true today in the used market? Or, have market forces essentially negated that "value" making an S with performance options a materially better value?
  2. On the depreciation front, would it be fair to say that a GTS is likely to depreciate a lot less than a equivalent S if I'm only adding less than 4K miles/year?
  3. On 997s, do the GTS models get the wider (Carrera 4) rear hips like the 991 GTS?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:59 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm not one who keeps his eye on the market, so, can't respond to your first two questions. I buy to drive, hang the depreciation.

At any rate answer to 3 is yes, wide body.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:15 PM
NorthCoastDoug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffJumper RS
  1. Value: When new, GTS models seem to be considered a pretty good "value" because it would be priced less than a comparable S model with equivalent options. Is that still true today in the used market? Or, have market forces essentially negated that "value" making an S with performance options a materially better value?
  2. On the depreciation front, would it be fair to say that a GTS is likely to depreciate a lot less than a equivalent S if I'm only adding less than 4K miles/year?
Thanks in advance.
In the months that I've been lurking around here, I don't recall seeing any X51 997.2's for sale, so it will probably be difficult to compare value of the 997.2 GTS with a 997.2 S with equivalent performance options. The 997.2 S are usually priced between 55 and 65, and the 997.2 GTS are usually around 65 to 75. If i was contemplating between a nice S at 60k, and a nice GTS at 65k, I'd spend the extra 5k and get the GTS.
Since the 997.2 S, 4S, and GTS are all sought after, i don't think the rate of depreciation or appreciation will vary too much between those models, over the next few years.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:22 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Firstly.. I bought my GTS last March with 26k miles on it.

1.) the GTS remains a great value compared to 997.2 Carrera S. but the best time to buy a used 997 GTS appears to have already passed. I could sell my car today for what I paid for it, even with the 20k miles I've put on it.

2.) definitely the GTS is going to depreciate less. it's not a theory, you can just look at current prices to see that.

3.) yes its got the widebody

4.) the GTS is not comparable with a Carrera S with additional options. Because you cannot buy a widebody RWD Carrera S.

I dont doubt that there are those who will disagree, but the package on the GTS is much preferable to a Carrera S with X51. I passed up on 991 Carrera S to buy a 997 GTS even though the money was the exact same.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:57 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm starting the search for a manual transmission car again after a 3 year hiatus.

One of the cars I'm considering is a 997, possibly a GTS version. I've spent years on the 991 forum, so I'm pretty well versed in them, but don't know as much about 997s.

3. On 997s, do the GTS models get the wider (Carrera 4) rear hips like the 991 GTS?

Thanks in advance.
1) Only you can assign value. For argument's sake, the $ gap on similarly equipped S/GTS has widened since 6MT GTS is a rarer car.
2) Who gives a ****. For argument's sake, a rarer, more high demand car will mean higher prices so less depreciation. Who knows if demand will be same in future as it is now. who cares
3) Yes
4) What the guy above me said.

To put the 997 GTS in perspective... a 997 GTS 6MT at the same MSRP (in real dollars) as a 2013/14 991 C2S (objectively a better car all around) is worth more in the used market than that 991 C2S with identical mileage.

It's not a GT car but it's the next best thing. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2017, 05:26 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

997gts vs 997TT would take the TT if 6sp and right color combo and options... both about the same price these days or dam close to it.

997 gts over any other none turbo 997 model no doubt if thats what your budget allows for.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks in advance.
I've owned both 997.2 C2S and GTS, so I'll take a swing at this:

1) GTS 911s are very good value, compared to very well equipped C2Ses. They are excellent used buys, versus most used C2Ses, which are usually more modestly equipped. I think it's fair to say most GTSes are more comprehensively equipped than most C2Ses. For the $10-20k more for a used GTS, you are probably getting a better equipped car, so the extra outlay will likely be worth the premium, based on that alone. You'll find a C2S with SPASM, LSD, X51 Powerkit, Adaptive Sport Seats, etc., etc., once in a while, but most won't have the options most GTSes will have. And when one does come along, it won't be significantly cheaper than a moderately optioned GTS, if that all makes sense.

2) It seems likely the 997.2 GTS will retain its value the most, of the Carreras. In smaller markets, like the UK, the GTS is already showing an upswing in values, as good, clean, low mileage cars are getting hard to find. It seems here in the States, values are steadying, if not appreciating yet. That said, I've noticed well equipped 997.2 C2Ses selling for strong money these days, too. Maybe even for a bit more than what I sold mine for, about two years ago.

3) Yes, the 997.2 GTS gets the same body as the GT3 RS and Sport Classic (I'd say Turbo/S and GT2/RS, too, but those have the rear side intakes). Btw, I didn't think the wider body would make a huge difference, until I lived with both GTS and C2S, side-by-side, for some time. It's really clear, when you see them together. The Carrera GTS is also the only wide body, NA, rear drive 997.2, besides the GT3 RS and the Sport Classic.

Speaking of Sport Classic, a manual GTS will be as close to a Sport Classic as possible, mechanically speaking. From the outside, the only differences are the ducktail, front lip, and double-bubble roof, on the Sport Classic. And the lack of center lock wheels on the SC. Powertrain-wise, a manual GTS and the SC are essentially the same, with both using the new-for-then 9A1 based 3.8L engine with X51 Powerkit.

Lastly, since you say you know 991s well, the 997.2 cars saw the introduction of the 9A1 based 3.8L engines, later used in the 991.1 (with minor enhancements). A 997.2 GTS, with its Powerkit, actually puts out more power than a 991.1 C2S (408 hp vs 400 hp).

Hope this helps. I'm sure many others will chime in soon. Good luck. ;-)
Old 04-13-2017, 05:43 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 87 Posts

Regards the 3rd question: Does this angle make my butt look big?
The following users liked this post:
Deosaa9 (08-26-2021)
Old 04-13-2017, 05:58 PM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the quick responses guys. It's very helpful. I will continue the search.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:02 AM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 131 Posts

I love my 7.2 C2S, but if i had a do over, GTS. I missed out on a few two years ago, and i have to keep reminding myself "I bought my C2S as a basic "disposable" driving/touring machine" In other words, if it gets scratched, stolen, accident, totaled , etc, its easily replaceable. The GTS, not soo much, but a way better car IMO.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:12 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,175 Likes on 748 Posts

If I had known how much I would love my 2010 C4S 997.2 I would have upgraded to the GTS in a heartbeat. IMHO, you can't go wrong either way. It's a matter of budget, and patience in your search.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM
db997gts
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I was shopping for a 991 when this showed up at my local dealer. The dealer web site pictures did not do it justice. I went down to check it out in person and was sold immediately. I still have my eye out for a 991, but don't think I will ever let this one go.
Attached Images   
Old 04-16-2017, 08:26 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

My twin? 6mt or PDK? Only other one I've seen with the gold centerlock nuts.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:33 PM
db997gts
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

pdk.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:03 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 221 Posts

You can get aGTS for the same price as a 991 s and in some cases the 991 s with x51. Food for thought...

I'm still on ththe hunt for a 991 4s with pdcc that's not 80k plus

Quick Reply: 997 GTS questions