Sponsored by: APR

Are the GT4 Wheels Forged?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 04:42 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 255 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Are you willing to wait for month on Rays building your Volk 20s with the correct offset or are you going to take their std which will push out the wheels. AFAIK the only wheels they have with a Porsche bolt pattern have the incorrect front offset.

P.S.
Good luck with your 19, as been debated numerous times on here, and finding the appropriate tire size to maintain the electronics.
If necessary yes I am.. -A month wait is nothing, it's the 2 other months waiting for the boat to arrive. They have 3 or 4 models of TE37's that are fitted for Porsche 5x130
-19's with 255/295's with a bump in profile are almost OEM sizing. less than .6% change, which is well within margin.
I've been on rays.jp site and I see some offsets that may work.. I will need to confirm with my speed shop once I firm up my decision.
When I get home I will post up to see if the RL minds can confirm/deny, sizing.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:57 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Csbear posted these weights earlier:

20" Stock GT4 weights:
Front wheel weight 23.24
Rear wheel weight 25.86
thanks andy - i missed that
by the numbers they look fairly light as they are 20's
not like the 30 lb rears of the oem 997 gt3 rear wheels - ugh - what boat anchors they are!!
i am thinking best case with te37sl's or oz or forgelines they may get down to 21-23 lbs each corner, not sure saving 12 pounds total is worth another $5-6k in wheels - don't think realistically they will be 19-20 pounds for 20 in diameter ...of course we can do down to 19's on steel brake cars
Old 10-07-2015, 04:58 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
If necessary yes I am.. -A month wait is nothing.. They have 3 or 4 models of TE37's that are fitted for Porsche 5x130
-19's with 255/295's with a bump in profile are almost OEM sizing. less than .6% change, which is well within margin.
I've been on rays.jp site and I see some offsets that may work.. I will need to confirm with my speed shop once I firm up my decision.
When I get home I will post up to see if the RL minds can confirm/deny.
A month? Try more like several month. Ask me how I know. The offset they are showing for their "2 models - bronze & blue" not 3 or 4 is not what I would consider track worthy, not even street worthy.

So what 255/295 19" track tires have found from the same manufacturer within the same model line?
Old 10-07-2015, 05:12 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

A month? Try more like several month. Ask me how I know. The offset they are showing for their "2 models - bronze & blue" not 3 or 4 is not what I would consider track worthy, not even street worthy.

So what 255/295 19" track tires have found from the same manufacturer within the same model line?
lol i dont have to ask you cus this ain't my first time ordering from Japan. Those are the 20's you missed a set of 19"s that may work.
255/295 Mpsc2's. . Pointed out to me by RL member mooty..
Any other questions I can answer for you just let me know.. lmfao

Also my speedshop of choice deals directly with rays Japan, not Mackin
Old 10-07-2015, 05:32 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

lol i dont have to ask you cus this ain't my first time ordering from Japan. Those are the 20's you missed a set of 19"s that may work.
255/295 Mpsc2's. . Pointed out to me by RL member mooty..
Any other questions I can answer for you just let me know.. lmfao

Also my speedshop of choice deals directly with rays Japan, not Mackin
I didn't miss the 19 since you already stated reusing your 19. But since you brought it up I'm sure you verified the offset. Oh wait, you already implied that you trusted your speedshop on that instead of yourself.

Interesting that you assumed I looked at Mackin. Thanx for the tip on that.

Using that 255/295 combo will lower your car to the point where you might effect the aero since according to the tirerack they are not available in a profile bump for the 19 as you stated, nor are they available in Europe as a bump.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:47 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

I didn't miss the 19 since you already stated reusing your 19. But since you brought it up I'm sure you verified the offset. Oh wait, you already implied that you trusted your speedshop on that instead of yourself.

Interesting that you assumed I looked at Mackin. Thanx for the tip on that.

Using that 255/295 combo will lower your car to the point where you might effect the aero since according to the tirerack they are not available in a profile bump for the 19 as you stated, nor are they available in Europe as a bump.
yes I do trust my speedshop, thx. More than some random poster online.
My friend receives his gt4 next month at which time we will drive over and have my shop MEASURE (doh! Guess you should have assumed that ) for exact fitment. and as I said earlier, order CUSTOM if necessary.
Never mentioned anything about "reusing", so you may have mistaken that.
The do offer bump in profile, may want to double check that.
-what evidence do you have that .06% change will effect aero? Please be specific so that I may be informed.

Much thanks

Edit: My mistake, I confused mpsc2's with mpss, which do have the appropriate size and profile.

Last edited by RealityGT; 10-07-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:37 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

yes I do trust my speedshop, thx. More than some random poster online.
My friend receives his gt4 next month at which time we will drive over and have my shop MEASURE (doh! Guess you should have assumed that ) for exact fitment. and as I said earlier, order CUSTOM if necessary.
Never mentioned anything about "reusing", so you may have mistaken that.
The do offer bump in profile, may want to double check that.
-what evidence do you have that .06% change will effect aero? Please be specific so that I may be informed.

Much thanks
.....and keep my 19's for track.....
Implies reuse to me. D'oh

....255/295's with a bump in profile are almost OEM sizing.....
You want to go back to the Michelin site as profiles are 35F and 30R for the sizes you mentioned for your MPSC2s.

There are plenty of threads on wheel fitment all this forum. One notable one by Mvez, a member on here, that is easily found through search.

..... .06% change.....
Now, regarding your % math change Einstein (which is not intended as an insult since Einstein - one of the smartest men that lived - flunked math), the OEM OD is ~26.8F and ~27R. The 255/295-19 MPSC2 sizes are ~26F and ~26R. OD difference being .8F and 1R. So now you are affecting stagger since you are not changing F and R sizes by an equal difference; lowering F by .4 and R by .5. Net effect being that despite lowering the car, which will effect aero, you are also slightly changing the tilt effect in favor of front - tilting the nose up ever so slightly and tilting the rear wing back by the same amount; ergo changing the aero balance. In this case roughly .1% when based on wheel base.

Oh, your .06% was based on the the tires. Using OEM sizing as a ref lets see: .06% of 26.8 = .016 and the actual is .8 for the front (~3%) and .06% of 27 = .0162 and the actual is 1 for the rear (~3.7%).
Old 10-07-2015, 06:41 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Please see my edit before you get ignorant..
And your implied thought was wrong.. I meant that I am buying 19's, and may as well buy 20's because the OEM wheels are not forged. Sorry if you mistook that, hope you didn't smash your KB typing that last post out LOL @ 11 min difference between my edit and your post..
Old 10-07-2015, 06:52 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

@ExMB
I haz visual aids..

I did mistake mpsc2's with mpss.. my bad,
Old 10-07-2015, 07:15 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Please see my edit before you get ignorant..
And your implied thought was wrong.. I meant that I am buying 19's, and may as well buy 20's because the OEM wheels are not forged. Sorry if you mistook that, hope you didn't smash your KB typing that last post out LOL @ 11 min difference between my edit and your post..
1) Still don't see your .06% even in your visual aid
2) Decided to have a beer and a brat with the neighbor planning the next AX before hitting enter. Sorry I didn't make you feel important enough to hit enter right away.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:08 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

1) Still don't see your .06% even in your visual aid
2) Decided to have a beer and a brat with the neighbor planning the next AX before hitting enter. Sorry I didn't make you feel important enough to hit enter right away.

Oh sorry, 0.4 - 0.7.. I avg'd it,
& don't worry.. I am sure you can try and correct someone else online, so that you can sleep better.. HAHAHAH

Old 10-08-2015, 01:42 AM
csbear
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soupy
laaaaameeee
Yeah, that's no fun. Oh well, glad all this detective work revealed the truth anyway. This whole time I was thinking they were forged, especially for a GT car.

I guess it gives incentive to get something better when the GT4 aftermarket wheels get sorted out.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:41 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, would you guys take your pissing match offline?
Old 04-10-2017, 09:45 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 04-10-2017, 09:45 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

nope they are cast

Quick Reply: Are the GT4 Wheels Forged?