Sponsored by:

Xpel Stealth/ Frozen ect

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by famous shoes
Not a fan of the matte-look. To me it gives the car an industrial or military look.

I did a full wrap, except for the rear bumper, with Clear Guard Nano and I truly can't tell the wrap is there.
My installer placed a small piece of the matte film on the car and I drove with it for a day or so. I decided against the matte look and am going with regular ppf on the front clip, rockers, rear splash, mirrors. Opti pro + to follow as the was just recently paint corrected.

I think I may look at the matte film again when the gt4 is in need of new film. A matte voodoo blue would be interesting.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:18 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
My installer placed a small piece of the matte film on the car and I drove with it for a day or so. I decided against the matte look and am going with regular ppf on the front clip, rockers, rear splash, mirrors. Opti pro + to follow as the was just recently paint corrected.

I think I may look at the matte film again when the gt4 is in need of new film. A matte voodoo blue would be interesting.
I can offer only gloss...
Old 04-07-2017, 10:17 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I can offer only gloss...
My cars cousin!

Old 04-25-2017, 01:22 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
Yes ... if you put the coating over the film (I have clear XPEL on my non P-car) it's incredibly easy to clean, you really can just rinse it and it's fine. Dust doesn't even seem to stick to it.

If you film it, coat it and have ceramic brakes, you will hardly ever have to wash the car if you stay out of the rain.

The word is the new Suntek film is even better but I don't know if they do the matte film or not.

Make sure you find a good installer and look at cars they have done, I paid top dollar and banked on the shop's stellar detailing reputation but had a not-so-great result with the film. It takes real skill to put it on the car and not have visible seams, etc.
I'm literally at my PPF guy's shop now (UMBRA in Chicagoland.. highly respected here) talking through all the new tech in PPF.
Suntek's new line of PPF has both matte and gloss film. The new tech is a hydrophobic coating layer on top of the film much like a ceramic coating. They were the first to release it. 3M and xpel are not for behind and this is the next step in PPF tech which has advanced a lot just in the past 5 years. 10 year warranty on it too. Right now he is recommending this new Suntek for both matte and gloss applications.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:40 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikit356

If "Old Mother Rat" drives that Boxster S, what does "Mrs. Rat" drive? It wouldn't surprise me if you said "a Ducati."
Mrs Rat less of a petrolhead than the biological family (see post on why I'm selling my Kline exhaust!). It is red though...

My cars cousin!

Beautiful! Blue and yellow do go together *so* well
Old 01-16-2024, 12:03 PM
99-911
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Any photos of Matt/ Satin PPF on Guards Red 991.1 ?
TIA
Old 01-17-2024, 05:46 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 422 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Get out of your city

$6400 is highway robbery, I paid 2k and the job was perfect. Yes entire car.

QUOTE=Buteo;14086032]Has anyone put this ppf on your car? My GTS in GT silver is in need of paint film and I am considering this as an option.

Pros
- unique finish, almost matte like but not quite
- entire car is protected from chips
- self healing film

cons
- expensive (I was quoted 6200 and 6400 at two different shops)
- possibly may get tired of the look (doubt it as its subtle)

anyone have any thoughts?[/QUOTE]
Old 01-17-2024, 10:08 AM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor

QUOTE=Buteo;14086032]Has anyone put this ppf on your car? My GTS in GT silver is in need of paint film and I am considering this as an option.

Pros
- self healing film

cons

anyone have any thoughts?
[/QUOTE]

That lower price is likely the thinner wrap and not the thicker PPF. $5K+ is the going rate for full high quality PPF almost everywhere. If your job is in fact the thicker Xpel etc, I'd love to see the result.
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 10:32 PM
pkalhan
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Pros
- self healing film

cons

anyone have any thoughts?
[/QUOTE]

$2k for full PPF wrap? I hope you know what you are getting man. I have never ever seen prices that low for a full PPF wrap.
Old 01-21-2024, 11:22 AM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,177 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by pkalhan
$2k for full PPF wrap? I hope you know what you are getting man. I have never ever seen prices that low for a full PPF wrap.
Just had our Taycan done with clear PPF, and got a quote for stealth wrap on the RS3. Price in my area is $2k for front end, $3k for a “race wrap” (front, a-pillar, rocker panels, rear lower fascia), and $6k for full wrap. Price scaled with size of car, little more for the Taycan, little less for the RS3. I got quotes from about 6 shops in my area around north Los Angeles.
The following 2 users liked this post by MingusDew:
Bud Taylor (01-22-2024), cbredesen (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 11:25 AM
pkalhan
Racer

Originally Posted by MingusDew
Just had our Taycan done with clear PPF, and got a quote for stealth wrap on the RS3. Price in my area is $2k for front end, $3k for a “race wrap” (front, a-pillar, rocker panels, rear lower fascia), and $6k for full wrap. Price scaled with size of car, little more for the Taycan, little less for the RS3. I got quotes from about 6 shops in my area around north Los Angeles.
Yeah that is how it is in my area as well. Front end is like $2k, the track pack is about $3 to $4k, and the full wrap is about $6k. My installer would throw in the ceramic coating for free if I did the full wrap. Price for ceramic coating goes up with the less PPF I have applied.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:39 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 422 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Yes that is madness

For 6K I would literally take a week and go to a school to learn how to do it myself. It takes an installer 8 hours and say the product cost $800 (the regular stuff cost $400 for a kit with a plotter). $6200 -800=$5400. $5400 / 8 hours the install takes is $675 AN HOUR !!! Inflation is real and buying things at stupid prices promotes further inflation

Originally Posted by pkalhan
Yeah that is how it is in my area as well. Front end is like $2k, the track pack is about $3 to $4k, and the full wrap is about $6k. My installer would throw in the ceramic coating for free if I did the full wrap. Price for ceramic coating goes up with the less PPF I have applied.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:01 AM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 150 Posts

For 6K I would literally take a week and go to a school to learn how to do it myself. It takes an installer 8 hours and say the product cost $800 (the regular stuff cost $400 for a kit with a plotter). $6200 -800=$5400. $5400 / 8 hours the install takes is $675 AN HOUR !!! Inflation is real and buying things at stupid prices promotes further inflation
If your facts are correct, the market will adjust over time - it's not like there's a PPF cartel. So far that hasn't happened [much]. If you do get your job done at $2K for the whole car, I'd love to know how thick the material is and what brand they used (if it's possible to know). Should be maybe 8mil in thickness vs the 3-4 for vinyl wrap. Share photos of the job around the edges etc. Then longer term how it holds up.

Cutting the price in 1/3 at the current quality of good installs would be a game changer. However, I remain skeptical.
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 09:15 PM
pkalhan
Racer

I would not call it inflation as I got mine done in 2018 and paid about $4k for the track package and ceramic coating. If you got all of that for $2k, good for you. You are the outlier of all the people I know who have gotten PPF done personally and on this forum.
Old 01-24-2024, 05:47 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 590 Posts

So is there any benefit to applying a ceramic coating over this xpel stealth? I have opti pro + on the GT4 and was considering doing the same to the GTS.
I was told directly by Xpel DO NOT use Ceramic coating on their film. This came from the factory when I called them. Now I suspect they see $$$ signs and started selling their own. I suspect ceramic for film may be different than for paint?

As to pricing cartels, I bet that the best companies making film want to keep it profitable. If you don't follow certain pricing guidelines they don't sell you the film. Happens in many industries.

It works that way in the stereo biz. I import PrimaLuna tubes gear, and it has a lower dealer margin, so everybody sells it for list. If they discount it even 12% then the margin makes it hard to support. I know one brand that will terminate you for one infraction of discounting. I don't mean advertising it cheap. I mean selling it below MSRP.

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 01-24-2024 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Xpel Stealth/ Frozen ect