Sponsored by:

Xpel Stealth/ Frozen ect

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 04:38 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Xpel Stealth/ Frozen ect

Has anyone put this ppf on your car? My GTS in GT silver is in need of paint film and I am considering this as an option.

Pros
- unique finish, almost matte like but not quite
- entire car is protected from chips
- self healing film

cons
- expensive (I was quoted 6200 and 6400 at two different shops)
- possibly may get tired of the look (doubt it as its subtle)

anyone have any thoughts?
Old 04-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen the Xpel Stealth on a silver Cayenne and it looks great. I'm going to do the same if I end up with a silver 911 (which I'm trying to avoid). It is expensive, but you'd get the benefit of PPF on the entire car.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:15 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

Another big 'Pro' in my mind is ease of keeping clean, as all you do is wash the car, no need for wax.

I only washed this car a couple of times; the rest of the time I just sprayed it off with detail spray.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

So is there any benefit to applying a ceramic coating over this xpel stealth? I have opti pro + on the GT4 and was considering doing the same to the GTS.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:28 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
So is there any benefit to applying a ceramic coating over this xpel stealth? I have opti pro + on the GT4 and was considering doing the same to the GTS.
Yes ... if you put the coating over the film (I have clear XPEL on my non P-car) it's incredibly easy to clean, you really can just rinse it and it's fine. Dust doesn't even seem to stick to it.

If you film it, coat it and have ceramic brakes, you will hardly ever have to wash the car if you stay out of the rain.

The word is the new Suntek film is even better but I don't know if they do the matte film or not.

Make sure you find a good installer and look at cars they have done, I paid top dollar and banked on the shop's stellar detailing reputation but had a not-so-great result with the film. It takes real skill to put it on the car and not have visible seams, etc.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:17 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Ceramic coating over my entire car. I have 2 Ceramic Pro coats over full front and other areas of PPF. Dust and pollen does stick but easy wash with mitt and dry off with micro fiber cloth.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:57 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 197 Posts

If you go with the 'stealth' type of PPF, be careful which ceramic coating you use. You don't want to make your nice matt looking car shiny all of a sudden after spending $6K-$8K on it!
Bish
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (01-20-2024)
Old 04-05-2017, 12:09 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

I think Mr. MagicRat knows everything you need about this type of PPF.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:12 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Ive got a matte car with matte film on the front bumper, I do wax it, because it makes it easier to wash , and the wax doesnt have any effect on the matte level, it just dissappears
and you can put matte film on any gloss paint and it turns the whole car matte
Old 04-05-2017, 01:22 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

Friend did Xpel stealth on his GT Silver 911R. Looks awesome. It is not subtle though. It is matte. No shine at all. That pricing is about right for a good install. He used about the best place in SoCal and it was that much.

If you like to wash your car and not DD it, don't waste your money on coatings. If you DD your car and hate to wash, detail it go for it.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:57 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

MagicRat does indeed know - thanks for the shoutout. I have a full XPel Stealth PPF on my JBM GTS (I'm just trying to max out the acronyms here). Love it. Looks matte from a distance but up close keeps all the lovely flecking and details of the metallic paint. Here is a recent picture I posted in the 'my recent drives' thread

And here's a close-up

As you can see there are visible edges. Unlike a conventional wrap, not much of the PPF folds around the sides of panels, so there are places where the original gloss paint is visible. These catch the light and look...the nearest word I can find is 'futuristic'. It is a good thing. But, as others have said, make sure you get a good installer. Edges are more noticeable with a stealth film - they're not a bug but a feature - so they need to be straight! Mine has a couple of tiny bubbles but I literally only notice them when I'm cleaning and nobody else ever would.

Here is another picture, taken today, alongside Old Mother Rat's Boxster S

and here the ones the installer took.

Pros are as follows:

Appearance. It just looks so special. Literally can't take the car anywhere without it getting compliments. I think it will work great with GT Silver. Indeed I saw a silver GT3 RS with it at my shop and it was mesmerising. Was the thing that made me get it on mine. Just bafflingly, amazingly space-age.

Cleaning: It's a cinch. Just wash and wipe, and you can even just give it a wh*re's bath with a cloth and some spray if you're short of time.

Finish: No swirl marks. I'm going to say it again now because it makes me and my black car so happy. No swirl marks. Aaahhhhh.

There are a couple of cons though:

Cleaning! You can't ever take it to a carwash now, because pressure washing can lift the edges of the film and then it's game over. You can pressure wash it yourself, but nobody else is allowed to ever.

Finish: The film is not self-healing. This is marketing BS. My stone-chip guards (you still need the stone-chip guards; don't let anyone tell you you don't) have little pock-marks in and they ain't healing. They don't look bad though, and on a silver car they'll likely be invisible, and the overall level of marking is far, far less than before.

Social life: You had better like talking to strangers. Get used to hearing 'is that a wrap?' more often than Spielberg on a heavy day.

And obviously it costs a fortune, but, in the words of Coco Chanel, "The best things in life are free. The second best things are very, very expensive".

Do it. Then take pictures. Then post them.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:32 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

I have seen video of self healing working.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:40 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I have seen video of self healing working.
I've seen videos of all kinds of things. Doesn't mean they can be achieved in real life! May of course be possible that I've had loads more stone dings and they've healed away, but the point is one still gets them. 'Self-healing' kind of suggests enduring perfection and that hasn't been my experience. Only on the stone-guard areas though, and like I said much less than before.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagicRat
I've seen videos of all kinds of things. Doesn't mean they can be achieved in real life! May of course be possible that I've had loads more stone dings and they've healed away, but the point is one still gets them. 'Self-healing' kind of suggests enduring perfection and that hasn't been my experience. Only on the stone-guard areas though, and like I said much less than before.
Nah let's not exxagerate now. As my installer explains re:PPF - "Its is self healing, so the advanced clear coat heals over time, eliminating swirl marks and other fine scratches. "

http://www.ecolorsautopaint.com/pain...ction-film.php
Old 04-05-2017, 04:40 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Nah let's not exxagerate now. As my installer explains re:PPF - "Its is self healing, so the advanced clear coat heals over time, eliminating swirl marks and other fine scratches. "

http://www.ecolorsautopaint.com/pain...ction-film.php
In that case it's probably correct, though have never noticed any swirls at all. Good times!

Quick Reply: Xpel Stealth/ Frozen ect